starting...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: starting... Reply with quote

Hi to all gentoo users!

I've decided that I'm going to install linux to my computer (but still going to leave my windows on it :( )

I've been checking different distributions and the most interesting ones are Gentoo and Debian. Porbably gonna install Gentoo because it becomes fully optimized to my comp and debian doesn't and it's pretty old.

I've not used linux much, but i have had linux on my computer before (Redhat and Mandrake) and I have used my friends linux shells. But now I want a distribution where I can learn all the "tricks" by myself.

But I've few questions. I've read through the install guide and wanted to ask that are the commands the same on every computer?

Q2: Why is the Gentoo image only 135megs? I understanded that I need internet connection while installing? Well I have internet connection but it's pretty slow (ISDN). How much time does Gentoo take to install on 1400MHz, 256mb RAM machine? Or is there a way to install Gentoo from the cd?

Q3: about the multi/dualboot. Does it work like described in the manual?cause i need to use my windows also (as long as Neverwinter Nights comes for linux ;) )

Well, that's all for now.

Thanks for all the help beforehand
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: starting... Reply with quote

Infra wrote:
Hi to all gentoo users!

Hello!
Infra wrote:
But I've few questions. I've read through the install guide and wanted to ask that are the commands the same on every computer?

There are install guides for different platforms (x86/ppc) but after having done several installs on different x86 machines I can say that they were all pretty much exactly the same. The guides are really good and there's always the forums if you have questions.
Infra wrote:
Q2: Why is the Gentoo image only 135megs? I understanded that I need internet connection while installing? Well I have internet connection but it's pretty slow (ISDN). How much time does Gentoo take to install on 1400MHz, 256mb RAM machine? Or is there a way to install Gentoo from the cd?

With a 1400 MHz system, you should be able to compile things pretty quickly, but keep in mind that more optimizations means more time to compile. The big thing is making sure that your internet connection is fast and solid. If you don't have a really solid internet connection you might want to consider using 'emerge -f' to get all the files at once. (see man emerge when you get there..) You can also cut down install time by doing a stage 3 install. Read the install guide to find out more. About the iso's, they are small because there's not a whole lot on them. You might want to check out this thread if you are interested in more.
infra wrote:
Q3: about the multi/dualboot. Does it work like described in the manual?cause i need to use my windows also (as long as Neverwinter Nights comes for linux ;) )

Yeah, as long as windows is installed on the first partition of the disk you shouldn't run into any problems. (at least i haven't, but i have if it wasn't the first one..) I think the document actually describes thier windows partiton as /dev/hda5, which is somewhat annoying because mine is always /dev/hda1. The partitioning can be a little tricky if you have a different setup than the one in the guide. It's hard to read /dev/hda3 and then think "but for me that partition is: /dev/hda4" and then type it out correctly. I recommend printing out the guide and actually writing the corrections in for your system so you won't screw it up.. like I did.. twice.. :|
Infra wrote:
Well, that's all for now.

Thanks for all the help beforehand

No problem, come back for more questions..
Infra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: starting... Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
No problem, come back for more questions..
Well here we go again then

Tristam29 wrote:

With a 1400 MHz system, you should be able to compile things pretty quickly, but keep in mind that more optimizations means more time to compile. The big thing is making sure that your internet connection is fast and solid.

Well my ISDN connection is solid. I have been keeping it up for days on weekend, cause my connection is free on weekends. But does the process take 2hours?10hours?

Tristam29 wrote:
If you don't have a really solid internet connection you might want to consider using 'emerge -f' to get all the files at once. (see man emerge when you get there..) You can also cut down install time by doing a stage 3 install. Read the install guide to find out more. About the iso's, they are small because there's not a whole lot on them. You might want to check out this thread if you are interested in more.

If i do stage3 install do I lose the one of the most important thing in Gentoo...the speed?

Tristam29 wrote:
..) I think the document actually describes thier windows partiton as /dev/hda5, which is somewhat annoying because mine is always /dev/hda1. The partitioning can be a little tricky if you have a different setup than the one in the guide. It's hard to read /dev/hda3 and then think "but for me that partition is: /dev/hda4" and then type it out correctly. I recommend printing out the guide and actually writing the corrections in for your system so you won't screw it up.. like I did.. twice..
Yeah, that's pretty annoying because usually windows is installed on hda1(c:) as also in my case. Dunno why the instructions have put it as hda5

And then one question about the images...again :). Should I download the Gentoo 1.2 or the 1.3a/b? Are these test versions stable?...just checked the images and it seems there's no iso-images of the 1.3 versions.well 1.2 it is then.

One thing more. I have a highpoint hpt370 raid driver on my motherboard and my hard drive is connected to it. Does Gentoo reconize this as a hdx?or is it something else?

Now I'm just hoping to get my new hard drive soon so I can get space to install Gentoo to my comp. Also I'm thinking the possibility to install it from net cause I'm going to a huge LAN party next month. I get 10meg connection there :)

Thanks for Tristam for your answers and the gentoo team for good instructions!

btw. am I the only finnish guy in these forums :)
Jacaranda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty annoying because usually windows is installed on hda1(c as also in my case. Dunno why the instructions have put it as hda5

A reason for this *could* be that generally the 1st partition is a great place to put your swap disk.

The reason being that out of any disk/partition, the swap wants to be the fastest, because it's where the kernel stores information if it runs out of ram.
The first partition on any disk is the fastest part of the disk.

With windows, it won't really matter where it is, because windows uses a swap file, not a swap disk, and since that means it will be writing to a filesystem, it is a much slower way of doing things.

Then again, it could be just the way the person who wrote it had their system set up at the time ;)

Good luck with your system!
Infra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but I cannot put the swap on the first part of the disk because my windows is there...messing things up
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: starting... Reply with quote

Infra wrote:
Tristam29 wrote:

With a 1400 MHz system, you should be able to compile things pretty quickly, but keep in mind that more optimizations means more time to compile. The big thing is making sure that your internet connection is fast and solid.

Well my ISDN connection is solid. I have been keeping it up for days on weekend, cause my connection is free on weekends. But does the process take 2hours?10hours?

I got my 1 GHz P3 Notebook installed in about two days. Bootstrapping takes about an hour or so. emerge rsync is pretty short (2 min. max) and from there it pretty much depends on what all you want to install. It took me two days because I wanted KDE and KDE should be done overnight because it will take 10 hours plus. emerge system takes time depending on what you specify in your use settings, but it's typically never nearly as much as KDE. These are just a few numbers that I've run into. Keep in mind that your system is faster than anything I've installed on. :P
Infra wrote:
If i do stage3 install do I lose the one of the most important thing in Gentoo...the speed?

There's a difference, but your system will still be faster than anything out there other than a stage1 install. At least once you have the install, you are upgrading and compiling everything you install from there.
Infra wrote:
And then one question about the images...again :). Should I download the Gentoo 1.2 or the 1.3a/b? Are these test versions stable?...just checked the images and it seems there's no iso-images of the 1.3 versions.well 1.2 it is then.

I installed this past weekend using a 1.3a iso and have found the process to be quite simple. It seems to be really stable so far, but I've only used it a week. I have been in the GCC3 forum and haven't found many complaints about it. :)
Infra wrote:
One thing more. I have a highpoint hpt370 raid driver on my motherboard and my hard drive is connected to it. Does Gentoo reconize this as a hdx?or is it something else?

I haven't got a clue. :(
Infra wrote:
Now I'm just hoping to get my new hard drive soon so I can get space to install Gentoo to my comp. Also I'm thinking the possibility to install it from net cause I'm going to a huge LAN party next month. I get 10meg connection there :)

I would be surprised if you could install over the course of a LAN party. That would be one heck of a party if you could. You'll probably see me there. 8)
Infra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that I'm going to see u there :) except if u are coming to finland...probably then :)

Just read the instructions...again and my eyes hit to this: We're almost ready to begin installing Gentoo Linux, but first we need take the necessary steps so that the kernel recognizes our network cards, and optionally any SCSI hardware that is in our system that PCI autodetection missed. To view a list of all available network card modules,

If I understood right i don't have to do that if the PCI autodetection has found my ethernet card(some realtek card)?
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be right , if the pci autodetect picks up your card on boot , which it will with that chipset , your ready to rock :)
Cheers
Dale.
Infra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know about the Highpoint hpt370 raid soft?
Actually it works as an UDMA100-when users not having a raid.
So does Gentoo find my hard drive if it is connected to that htp370-driver?

I don't have raid so I guess Gentoo identifyies them as a normal drive?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: