debian alike gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtun3Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: debian alike gentoo Reply with quote

any one tried debian?
If you have, you probably know the diffrence between potato, woody and sid.

Doing the same thing in Gentoo seems to me to be _very_ easy by using the package.mask file.
Let`s say you have one package.mask file, wich is a symlink to either a file called stable.mask or unstable.mask or current.mask.
And just by symlinking to the right file should be enough to "change" what kind of a system you want.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love Debian's triple-tiered structure. :-) It's the only distro I'd trust for a server machine.
A less bleeding-edge tree would be really nice. I'd love Gentoo's flexibility and speed on my servers.
There are plans in the pipeline, though. Apparently Gentoo's going to be creating an equivalent of Debian's "stable" branch for server machines sometime soon, according to DRobbins himself, in the way you've just described [http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1080]
Once the stable branch has been created, it strikes me that Gentoo will be rather similar to the BSD system (stable releases [hmmm, though only server stuff "at least initially"] and a bleeding-edge CURRENT tree), perhaps evolving an interim "testing" branch sometime in the future, to cycle stuff through in a way similar to Debian.
I can't wait! :-)

Last edited by Syntaxis on Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: