Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alexxy,

Is the bluetooth module for the hx4700 already compiled in the kernel from "ftp://gentoo.ru/hx4700/kernel"? I would like to get some peripherals (serial/bluetooth keyboard, mouse) working on the hx4700 and post a wiki on it.
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested Mplayer, it works. Touchscreen works too, just don't beliave evtouch homesite, left button down is genetated by long touch and right button down is generated by one and a half touch.
Some more binary packages are avaliable too. Currently I'm working on getting siund working with my kernel (it's A620 related issue). I'm also interested in getting lirc working, has anybody sucseeded?
lucre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse working:

modprobe btuart_cs
/etc/init.d/bluetooth start
hciattach /dev/ttyS1 texas 115200
hidd -i hci0 --connect <address on back of device you are connecting too>

I didn't realize how far this port has advanced already. Thanks guys!

Where can I get a copy of the source of the modified sdg bootloader? I have a 128mb RAM ipaq and I would like the kernel to boot up recognizing the full 128mb RAM.
dracony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys i have an HP ipaq rz1710. Can i emerge gentoo there?
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracony wrote:
guys i have an HP ipaq rz1710. Can i emerge gentoo there?

According to http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/SupportedHandheldSummary rz17110 iis not supported bby linnux kernel, at leas with handhelds linux kernel. So installation of any linux on your PDA is rather problematic.
s_j_newbury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum. I've been independently working on porting gentoo to arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi over the last 18 months but I don't have a binary repository at the moment. If there is interest I'll start generating binary pkgs, I've got KDE 3.6 nearly up and running. I've actually been concentrating mostly on toolchain and kernel issues. My current project is to try getting gcj working on ARM EABI, not entirely straight forward, and any help would be appreciated (search gcc bugzilla). I'm not able to spend too much time on it at the moment due to university work.
MorpheuS.Ibis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more question. is it possible to somehow tell gentoo to keep out of the RAM where windows data are stored (WM2003)? i have everything on my card but there is this 5MB of settings and stuff that i would do again every boot of linux (like installing all the programs again)
or is WM5 the only way?
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MorpheuS.Ibis wrote:
one more question. is it possible to somehow tell gentoo to keep out of the RAM where windows data are stored (WM2003)? i have everything on my card but there is this 5MB of settings and stuff that i would do again every boot of linux (like installing all the programs again)
or is WM5 the only way?

No but there is a solution. You should just back up that data and restore it after you boot li windows again. I have very good backup programm built in my A620 (I think it shuts down windows when does back up, so it is as reliable, as dd). You should search for something similar, there are many different programms like this.
MorpheuS.Ibis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and is it possible to backup on shutdown and restore on system start? i know there is not much of shutdown on WM but anyway...or what about setting the card to be the root of the filesystem? would it work somehow with windows? (sorry this isn't much about linux, i am still trying to crosscompile toolchain...)
thanks for your help
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MorpheuS.Ibis wrote:
and is it possible to backup on shutdown and restore on system start?

It depends. One of the pluses of A620 built in backup is that it can restore at startup, because it is located in ROM. With non builtin backup programm you'll have to install it first after hard reset. Automatick backup when switching to linux is theoretically osibble, but do you really want to write a programm for win, which would do that? There is no normal method for automatization for win. So the easiest method is backing up by hand.

MorpheuS.Ibis wrote:
I know there is not much of shutdown on WM but anyway...or what about setting the card to be the root of the filesystem? would it work somehow with windows? (sorry this isn't much about linux, i am still trying to crosscompile toolchain...)
thanks for your help

For windows - no. The only way of improowing windows is replacing of everithing replaceble with something normal. RAM usage is hardcoded there.

PS Crosscompiling toolchain is not very necesary, because crosscompiler is buggy. We use gcc-2.4.2 (this is first release, which just builds, if you disable fortran support). If you try using executables which it creates, you CERTANLY will have troubles (I've spent many hours searchibg bug in alsa subsistem, printk solved the problem at first and usage of native compiler solved it completely). You'd better use our stages and build packages natively. If you need to build a kernel, I can do it.
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiberGus wrote:
PS Crosscompiling toolchain is not very necesary, because crosscompiler is buggy...

I've forgot, trhat you have strongarm. The problem is that crosscompiler can build system only partially, so we used packages from other distributions to make a build envronment on PDA, and then rebuild it natively. You need to find, where you can get such packages or, may be, use more stable gcc.
MorpheuS.Ibis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so stick to windows (or maybe familiar) until i get something more supported by linux (Xscale based with WM5+)?
btw. my crosscompile tries ended always with glibc (i didn't try older version i think but anyway)
thanks for your help, i'll come back in future with some "better" device :-)

EDIT: yes, i have some buildin backup utility but i haven't ever used it and it doesn't allow automatic restores on start (how could it when all settings are gone)...
s_j_newbury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiberGus wrote:
KiberGus wrote:
PS Crosscompiling toolchain is not very necesary, because crosscompiler is buggy...

I've forgot, trhat you have strongarm. The problem is that crosscompiler can build system only partially, so we used packages from other distributions to make a build envronment on PDA, and then rebuild it natively. You need to find, where you can get such packages or, may be, use more stable gcc.

I built everything from scratch, adding a few extra ebuilds for platform specific utilities (zaurusd for example). I fixed up everything as I proceeded starting with the toolchain. I'm currently using the latest gcc-4.3 snapshot and having very few problems, the occasional package needs to be built with gcc-4.1.2 (gcc-4.3 is stricter than earlier versions, it has the same issues on other architectures). The advantage of using gcc-4.3 is the better auto-vectorizer, since I'm compiling for the PXA270 it's nice to use the iWMMXt co-processor...

Getting GCJ going is going to be more difficult and I can't spend enough time on it right now due to other commitments.

I'm currently running "emerge -DNb world" and storing the binary packages on my server, if anybody is interested, PM me.
lucre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MorpheuS.Ibis wrote:
so stick to windows (or maybe familiar) until i get something more supported by linux (Xscale based with WM5+)?
btw. my crosscompile tries ended always with glibc (i didn't try older version i think but anyway)
thanks for your help, i'll come back in future with some "better" device :-)

EDIT: yes, i have some buildin backup utility but i haven't ever used it and it doesn't allow automatic restores on start (how could it when all settings are gone)...

I had the same problem. You need to add:

NPTL_KERNEL_VERSION="your cross kernel headers"

to your /usr/arm... make.conf

e.g. NPTL_KERNEL_VERSION="2.6.20"
RaZoR1394
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lubomir wrote:
Damn...,i have sell my dell x50v because i hate windows...

There is some linux support for the Dell axim x50v but It's very poor at the moment if you compare it to the HP hx4700. The x50v is the most powerful pda I've seen to date. Here is some more info: http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/DellAximX50 . The project is in big need for more help.
alexxy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded new stage for iwmmxt based pdas (pxa27x)
Profile 2007.0
kernel 2.6.21-hh0 (in stage3 tarboll in /root you can find kernel and modules for hx4700)
glibc-2.5-r2
GCC-4.1.2
binutils-2.17.50.16
baselayout-2.0.0_alpha3

You can download stage here ftp://gentoo.ru/projects/handhelds/stages/stage3-armv5te-iwmmxt-gnueabi-20070520.tar.bz2
All binnary packages avalieble via rsync://gentoo.ru/gentoo-pda-eabi-iwmmxt
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there install instructions for Zaurus ? I have a Tosa (sl-6000)
Polansky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

first of all thanks for all that work and the HOWTO-doc. I got interested in that topic because I wanted to get rid of the "other" OS on my FS Loox N560. By now I built a toolchain (stage4) with
crossdev. I used
- binutils 2.17
- linux-headers 2.6.21
- glibc 2.5-r3
- gcc 4.1.2
as target I chose armv5te-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi.

But what would be the next step?

Should I use those cross emerge and kernel wrappers (xmerge & xkmake) as proposed in this doc
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml
to do a "emerge/xmerge -e system" (like in an ordinary installation of gentoo) and built an appropriate kernel?

Which packages did you build for your pda?

I've seen on the russian gentoo page that someone (http://gentoo.ru/user/6257) also got interested in setting up gentoo for the Loox N560 (http://gentoo.ru/node/7268).
At least that's what I think it could be about. Unfortunately I don't understand russian at all. Does anyone know what is written there?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Polansky
alexxy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all if you want to use eabi
build armv5te-softfloat-linux-gnueabi toolchain
with latest binutils (2.17.50* )
You can use my stages for hx4700
but you need to build kernel for your pda
stages and binary packages you can find on gentoo.ru ftp =)
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what would be the next step?

Get the kernel.
Quote:

Should I use those cross emerge and kernel wrappers (xmerge & xkmake) as proposed in this doc
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml
to do a "emerge/xmerge -e system" (like in an ordinary installation of gentoo) and built an appropriate kernel?

Today your handheld is not supported by kerkel, read below. You can use handhelds.org kernel as a base. It contains support for many different PDA's. And xkmerge script is not needed for that kernel, just edit Makefile and cahnge crosscompiler name there.
Quote:
Which packages did you build for your pda?

I have built (PXA250 packages):
ftp://gentoo.ru/projects/handhelds/packages/eabi/xscale/
Alexxy have built (PXA270 packaged):
ftp://gentoo.ru/projects/handhelds/packages/eabi/iwmmxt/
Quote:

I've seen on the russian gentoo page that someone (http://gentoo.ru/user/6257) also got interested in setting up gentoo for the Loox N560 (http://gentoo.ru/node/7268).
At least that's what I think it could be about. Unfortunately I don't understand russian at all. Does anyone know what is written there?

In short. For now linux kernel does not support N560. There are drivers for some hardware, such as sound card, but at least LCD is not supported yet. Ilfiron have found documantation and wanted to write the driver, but there is no information about progress.
So, if you want gentoo on your PDA, you need to write/find some drivers. After you get the kernel, you can use stages by alexxy:
ftp://gentoo.ru/projects/handhelds/stages/
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Today he had written:
Kernel boots, but LCD doesn't. You can see process in s for of filling LCD with black and white stripes, that says, that linux starts booting. At the moment I'm studiing pxafd to write new driver for N560 LCD TD035STEE1 using pxafb as a base. This LCD model is new and specific, so there is no ready for use driver. It seems, that this LCD is used only on N560.
MorpheuS.Ibis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello again guys.
i'm sorry to bother you once again but there is a question you could be able to answer.
in some near future, i should get a new ipaq (unfortunately no hx4700 as they don't make them anymore) and i would like to run linux/win dualboot on it. i thought the hx2700 one looked good, with only few thing worse than the hx4700 (the style and resolution). does this device boot linux? can i boot linux from CF card and win from inner ROM? anyone with a HOWTO for idiots? (english please) or at least the hardware side of differences between hx2700 and hx4700?
or even better, does anyone have some "internal" rumor from HP about successor for hx4700 in like half a year? :-)
thaks a lot, smart guys
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read about hx2700 support here:
http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/HpIpaqHx2000
Phrase "We understand about 50% of the charging" may mean, that yu will not be able to charge PDA under linux yet.
About support for other devices you can read here:
http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/SupportedHandheldSummary
Quote:
with only few thing worse than the hx4700 (the style and resolution)

Currently, the biggest problem, which I have with QVGA screen is that many application don't fit in-to it. So big resolution is a big bonus.
Quote:
can i boot linux from CF card and win from inner ROM? anyone with a HOWTO for idiots?

If you see something like "boots with haret" or "boots with linexec", than you would be able to boot linux form windows without any flashing.

By the way, hx2700 costs 500$, nokia internet tablet only 400$. IMHO internet tablet has better hardware, and it runs linux natively.
Polansky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alexxy and KiberGus for your answers and your support. I'll see how far I get with building a kernel for my device. I'll keep you informed if I succed.
Thanks a lot again.
KiberGus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilfiron have managed to activate LCD. So now haret shows log while staring up. But devie hangs up after
Code:
Shooting down hardware
Turning off MMU

Screenshots are avaliable at
ftp://gentoo.ru/projects/handhelds/fs_n560/ScreenShoots/
You can find kernel with LCD module there too. If somebody knows why system hangs, Ilfiron would be glad to recieve comments or advises.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: