Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xbox modification really needs Mechassault?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beijingjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: xbox modification really needs Mechassault? Reply with quote

I've been reading the wiki and howto at http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Getting_Started on how to modify the xbox to allow it to take another operating system.

From what it says here you can ONLY use the game MechAssault with a certain older part number. I haven't been able to find this game anywhere, it seems it is too old.

Are there any other softwares or games that I could use to mod the xbox?

Thanks.
Anubious
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whooahhhh thats like dapsh 4034 or similar i forgot the dash version)

far to old.

you need to softmod your xbox or get it chipped. this is the only way.

when soft modding, you'll need mechassault, 007 auf, or tom clancy's something (i forgot). It has to be the regular version not the classic.

I advise u get the chip.
ahorn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x-changer 2.5 is cheap ~10eu,

1st time i did the splinter cell hack,
but you could also hotswap the xbox hdd and do the font hack. there's not much documentation for all of this, you must try alot yourself :(
beijingjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but what's "dash 4034?"

So there are other games I can use? Where can I find info on them?

The howto I mentioned in my post talks about the hardware or the software mod, but unless I read it wrong either way I will need the game to be able to modify the firmware, or?
Anubious
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol no offense but you do not know enough to even get the loader for Linux running.

Dash 4034 is the dash u need to run the mechassault hack which is ancient (because it only runs on v1.0 to v1.2 and could only install xebian xboxes i beleive.

You also need a homebrew adapter with the action replay software to transfer the software. The games wont do anything at all if you dont even have an xbox action replay or homebrewed usb to xbx adapter with memcard drivers.

Go to gamestop to get the games. i KNOW one of them will have it used. Don't tell me they don't. Sorry if your in Europe i dont know what u guys use.

or you can open your xbox and hotswap it to your computer using xboxhd (which is a mini linux distro just for modifying and fixing the hard drive). It auto installs the font exploit. i cant tell you where to get it but i can point you in the right direction. you must go to forums.x-scene.com

you have allot of reading to do

xbox-linux.org can only get you so far. you have to have a way to boot unsigned code, and even then you can't use a drive larger than 8 or 10 gigs (because of font hack only patching ms bios instead of using a compleley different hacked bios) unless you learn how to effectively use xboxhd. this isnt so with a modchip, wih a font hack, you can only use a small 4gb file of maybe a piece of the hard drive use for the "f drive". again, with a modchip u can do a completely native install.

i advise you get a modchip

oh yes, 007 Agent Under FIre, Mechassault, and Tom Clancy's splinter cell or something like that. Its tom Clancy's something. i haven't used a font hack in years. These games have to be the original and not the "platinum edition".
beijingjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

or you can open your xbox and hotswap it to your computer using xboxhd (which is a mini linux distro just for modifying and fixing the hard drive). It auto installs the font exploit. i cant tell you where to get it but i can point you in the right direction. you must go to forums.x-scene.com

I like the sound of this xboxhd. I'll look into it.
Quote:
i advise you get a modchip

Are you saying that using either these games or xboxhd, and a soldering iron if necessary, I can not mod my own chip to the same degree as one that I would buy?
Anubious
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thats what im saying. xboxhd only helps so much. if you dont know what ur doing u could really mess up. a xbox modchip isnt hard to instal at all. a person who has never used a soldering iron could do it. its just a serios of 6 or 7 HUGE holes you just slip a pin header in and melt solder on top of them. its not hard at all really. then there is a pad at the bottom called a d0 you have to soler. its not difficult really. you'll save allot of time and plus with a chip you can do a native install. the duox2 cromwell edition is nly 15 american plus 5 shi[[ing. super cheat and super easy to instal. seriously.

but if you want to use xboxhd you were warned. you have to take the ide cable out of the drive while its till on. you run a big chance of messing up your hard drive.
beijingjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any recommendations on which modchip is best?
mysticrider92
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beijingjj wrote:
any recommendations on which modchip is best?

As Anubious said, the Duo X2 is probably the best cheap mod chip. The best modchip is probably the Xecuter X3, but it will cost a good $60-$70 + shipping.

In your case, if you are willing to solder the chip, go that way as it will give you the most freedom, but my recommendation is to use the one of the auto-installers with Splinter Cell (the first one, not Platinum Hits, it is $3 at ebgames). That will 'softmod' the box, which can then easily boot Linux (or whatever else you put on there).
Here is a good tutorial on softmodding.

Also, if you need help with any Xbox mod stuff, xbox-scene.com is pretty much the best place to go.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: