IP32 R10K mips kernel-acutally boots
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redfox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: IP32 R10K mips kernel-acutally boots Reply with quote

Alright, after discovering that I can't compile code under Irix and can't reinstall from scratch, now that i believe I have found a full set of CDs(the suckers are picky are about the month they were distributed) , I decided to look into Linux. I've learned how to netboot and more about dhcpd. :) Anyway, I finally stumbled upon a kernel that will boot, the only problem is, it craps out on vfsroot. I'm not sure exactly on where I need to go from there, pretty much anything is possible. If I was successful in installing Gentoo and getting it to boot via arcboot just like Irix, I wouldn't mind testing kernels for it every now and then. My main goal is to try and make a server out of it. This is where it ends up:

Quote:
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Cannot open root device "pci(0)scsi(0)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(0)" or 02:00
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:00

Yes, I do realize it is looking to NFS for the root system, now(late night sessions make you double guess), my question is, what do I need to drop on an NFS server?, can I drop an initrd somewhere along with a possible stage3 tarball? As a last note, I will say this kernel is out-of-date and not from the Gentoo branch, but hey it boots.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... it boots... nope, it's not reliable.

It won't get through a full installation onto the hard disk -- if the stage tarball unpack won't kill it, `emerge --sync` will. Kumba has an experimental netboot image for these machines that boots, but you're lucky if the box stays up for more than 5 minutes under any kind of I/O load.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: