"No space left on divice" while compiling KDE THI
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaemonCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: "No space left on divice" while compiling KDE THI Reply with quote

Are there any realistic recommendations for partition sizes for compiling KDE on Gentoo?:?: I increased the /var partition size, and I got past the first failure. I deleted various files from /var, that got me past the second failure. Now, the 1 gig /usr partition is full!! Now what? :cry: I'd like to get KDE up and running, but as long as I keep getting these errors, it's a bit frustrating. Am I the only person on the planet that only has 3 gig to install on? I can't believe that Gentoo won't fit in the amount of space that WinXP takes less than half of! 8O Now I sound like I'm whining. I guess I am! :oops: I think I like Gentoo and the Portage system alot, but I can't seem to finish an install.
What can I safely delete?
Or, how much space is it reasonable to expect /usr to need?
I'm running an old dual P Pro board, and it's NOT fast, so I don't want to do a reinstall from scratch ... again.
Thanks.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have less than 3 gigs and compiled KDE without any errors, perhaps you need to clean it up a bit before compiling.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can delete all the packages from /usr/portage/distfiles that you are NOT wanting to build or rebuild in the near future and delete the crapola in /var/tmp/portage if i remember correctly.
8O
DaemonCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thanks for the tips!
Autobot, whats your partition scheme? Maybe I didn't allocate space properly for Gentoo. As a stopgap, I mv'd /usr/portage to a partition w/ more space, and ln'd back to /usr/portage. Seems to work. I just got up and the ol' machine is still chugging. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: