Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Solved (was: snd-hda-intel works only with acpi=off)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nocive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to get sound working with patched DSDT and BIOS 3.30?
I got all working except for sound... No errors but no sound at all! :|

-- My stuff --
Toshiba PSPA6E, BIOS 3.30
alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2-r1
gentoo sources 2.6.20-r8
patched DSDT compiled into kernel

Do I really have to downgrade to BIOS 2.40 to get this working?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to music right now!

There was one particular part of the DSDT I found that is essential. It's one of the two warnings that are shown about not all control paths returning a value, iirc.

Here is my DSDT: http://vosek.com/dsdt.dsl. It's uncompiled, so you can make sure that I've not put any nastiness in it, although checking through 8k+ lines of code wouldn't be fun! This works on my system, which is a P100-403.[/url]

nocive wrote:
Has anyone been able to get sound working with patched DSDT and BIOS 3.30?
I got all working except for sound... No errors but no sound at all! :|

-- My stuff --
Toshiba PSPA6E, BIOS 3.30
alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2-r1
gentoo sources 2.6.20-r8
patched DSDT compiled into kernel

Do I really have to downgrade to BIOS 2.40 to get this working?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
nocive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Worked like a charm! :)

Added the following options to /etc/modules.d/alsa for noise reduction and volume boost
options snd-hda-intel model=7 position_fix=2 index=0

External volume wheel at it's max and lowered the volume on mplayer to below 95%, to finally eliminate all sound distortion! :D
Finally, some joy for the long working nights!

Kasyx, thanks a lot for the DSDT. ;)
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nocive wrote:
Great! Worked like a charm! :)

Added the following options to /etc/modules.d/alsa for noise reduction and volume boost
options snd-hda-intel model=7 position_fix=2 index=0

External volume wheel at it's max and lowered the volume on mplayer to below 95%, to finally eliminate all sound distortion! :D
Finally, some joy for the long working nights!

Kasyx, thanks a lot for the DSDT. ;)

Yeah, the sound distortion is problem at higher levels. Easiest thing to do is make the PCM volume in alsamixer (or your mixer of choice) around 80%. BE WARNED! Some apps change this value, instead of limiting what they are outputting. kmplayer does this, which is damned annoying, took me weeks to figure out that was why I was always getting the distortion.

I'll need to try those alsa options, I've been afraid of touching anything in case I break the chunty field. But if it works for you... :-)

-K
krantix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody got it working with bios 3.5? i have a nvidia 7900 Go and i can get sound working either by acpi=off or my editing my dsdt.... when i do that my GPU fan stops working and temperature inceases up to 120°!!! please help! :-) :(
bertrandnantes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: install a new dsdt.hex file Reply with quote

HI,

j i ve a stellite p100 284 and the sound doesnt work and the cpu fan is on ery 3 secondes . . im running a fedora and this kernel: 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6.
I got the dsdt .hex from boroshan, but i am a beginner and i dont know the easiest way to install it. I ve seen on a gentoo forum 3 ways to do it but i cant handle with one.

Does anybody can help me?

thanks
theta-delta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: pay attention on RAM extension Reply with quote

Hi,

last week I put a second 1GB-RAM module in my P100 and Linux wasn't able to boot with the fixed DSDT anymore. It just came up with acpi=off, so I had to get an original initrd.img for my kernel, boot with it and do all the steps fixing the DSDT again.
At last now it works again, but maybe you will have problems find a sane initrd.img.
(All for BIOS 2.40)

Btw. is there any reason to upgrade the BIOS to 3.30? I won't use Vista!

Greetings,
Torsten.
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: pay attention on RAM extension Reply with quote

theta-delta wrote:
Hi,

last week I put a second 1GB-RAM module in my P100 and Linux wasn't able to boot with the fixed DSDT anymore. It just came up with acpi=off, so I had to get an original initrd.img for my kernel, boot with it and do all the steps fixing the DSDT again.
At last now it works again, but maybe you will have problems find a sane initrd.img.
(All for BIOS 2.40)

Greetings,
Torsten.

If there's a revision for the BIOS, it usually means it needs it. Whilst most of the time it only affects Windows, it can still affect linux. I don't know about you, but I don't want to trawl through thousands of lines of code just to see if it's important for running Linux, so I just take it as read that there will be something in there as an optimisation or something. And who knows! Maybe one day a BIOS revision will mean we don't need to fix the DSDT for them ;-)

I've got one thing that I want to check with people though - now that I've fixed my DSDT it fully suspends to RAM without anything needing configured at all. I use klaptop, and it 'just works' (about the only thing I've ever installed on Linux that does!) There is, however, only one problem. When it resumes from suspend to ram, I lose the sound. I have to reboot the entire machine to get the sound back up. Restarting alsasound doesn't work, neither does stopping alsasound before suspend, then restarting it after resume. I was wondering if anyone has got their sound working after suspend to ram using klaptop and a modified DSDT? It could be that I've edited the DSDT to make it work, but in doing that I've supplied a wrong return type or something. At least if I know if someone else can get sound after resume it's probably a DSDT error that I've fixed wrongly, or to look elsewhere. Ideally, if someone who has it working after resume can make a new kernel with my DSDT and test it on their system, that would be awesome.

-K
bertrandnantes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: pay attention on RAM extension Reply with quote

Kasyx wrote:
theta-delta wrote:
Hi,

(All for BIOS 2.40)

Greetings,
Torsten.

If there's a revision for the BIOS, it usually means it needs it. Whilst most of the time it only affects Windows, it can still affect linux. I don't know about you, but I don't want to trawl through thousands of lines of code just to see if it's important for running Linux, so I just take it as read that there will be something in there as an optimisation or something. And who knows! Maybe one day a BIOS revision will mean we don't need to fix the DSDT for them ;-)

I've got one thing that I want to check with people though - now that I've fixed my DSDT it fully suspends to RAM without anything needing configured at all. I use klaptop, and it 'just works' (about the only thing I've ever installed on Linux that does!) There is, however, only one problem. When it resumes from suspend to ram, I lose the sound. I have to reboot the entire machine to get the sound back up. Restarting alsasound doesn't work, neither does stopping alsasound before suspend, then restarting it after resume. I was wondering if anyone has got their sound working after suspend to ram using klaptop and a modified DSDT? It could be that I've edited the DSDT to make it work, but in doing that I've supplied a wrong return type or something. At least if I know if someone else can get sound after resume it's probably a DSDT error that I've fixed wrongly, or to look elsewhere. Ideally, if someone who has it working after resume can make a new kernel with my DSDT and test it on their system, that would be awesome.

-K

Kasyx, i tried your dsdt and i got the sound, but ive lost the wifi... do you have an idea concerning the cause of this. i had no problem at the compilation of the dsdt.dsl file.

thanks
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: pay attention on RAM extension Reply with quote

bertrandnantes wrote:

Kasyx, i tried your dsdt and i got the sound, but ive lost the wifi... do you have an idea concerning the cause of this. i had no problem at the compilation of the dsdt.dsl file.

thanks

You got sound working, but not wifi? At what point? The ipw3945 chipset is awkward, there seems to be a particular order in which you need to emerge stuff.

Code:

emerge -C coldplug ipw3945 ipw3945d ipw3945-ucode ieee80211

Compile ieee802.11 into the kernel:

Code:

--- Networking support                                                                                                                     
        <*>   Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack                                                                                                           
        <*>     IEEE 802.11 WEP encryption (802.1x)                                                                                                         
        <*>     IEEE 802.11i CCMP support                                                                                                                   
        <*>     IEEE 802.11i TKIP encryption

Then reinstall:

Code:

emerge wpa_supplicant
emerge ipw3945 ipw3945d ipw3945-ucode

Remove ipw3945d from rc, as it is booted with udev:

Code:

rc-update del ipw3945d

Need to make sure your /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/conf.d/net are correct. Once that's done, just:

Code:

modprobe ipw3945
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

To switch APs you need to reboot the computer, but this seems a limitation of wpa_supplicant, not the chipset. One of my projects over summer is to try and get something working on this. My ideal world consists of my computer never being turned off, so being able to switch APs, and have sound after wake from suspend are top of my list. Anything else is just niggly and can wait.

Hope this helped, it's OT I know.

-K
gentoza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: i have same trouble Reply with quote

i fixed the dsdt whit your indications but vga fan dosent work it stops simply when linux is loaded y have bios 3.3 shall i have to downgrade it

where i can get bios 2.4
?

of course i have sound working
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: i have same trouble Reply with quote

gentoza wrote:
i fixed the dsdt whit your indications but vga fan dosent work it stops simply when linux is loaded y have bios 3.3 shall i have to downgrade it

where i can get bios 2.4
?

Are you using the computer enough to warrant the fan coming on?

From a cold start, it maybe takes 10 or more minutes before the fan comes on, if I do some heavy work. Even then, unless I'm playing a graphically intensive game, it only spikes every so often.

-K
bertrandnantes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: pay attention on RAM extension Reply with quote

Kasyx wrote:
bertrandnantes wrote:

thanks

You got sound working, but not wifi? At what point? The ipw3945 chipset is awkward, there seems to be a particular order in which you need to emerge stuff.

Code:

emerge -C coldplug ipw3945 ipw3945d ipw3945-ucode ieee80211

Compile ieee802.11 into the kernel:

Code:

--- Networking support                                                                                                                     
        <*>   Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack                                                                                                           
        <*>     IEEE 802.11 WEP encryption (802.1x)                                                                                                         
        <*>     IEEE 802.11i CCMP support                                                                                                                   
        <*>     IEEE 802.11i TKIP encryption

Then reinstall:

Code:

emerge wpa_supplicant
emerge ipw3945 ipw3945d ipw3945-ucode

Remove ipw3945d from rc, as it is booted with udev:

Code:

rc-update del ipw3945d

Need to make sure your /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/conf.d/net are correct. Once that's done, just:

Code:

modprobe ipw3945
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

To switch APs you need to reboot the computer, but this seems a limitation of wpa_supplicant, not the chipset. One of my projects over summer is to try and get something working on this. My ideal world consists of my computer never being turned off, so being able to switch APs, and have sound after wake from suspend are top of my list. Anything else is just niggly and can wait.

Hope this helped, it's OT I know.

-K

thanks,

what i do not understand also is why the sound is weak. did you fix that also? I am running a fedora ... and for the moment couldnt fix the wifi problem i will try tonight

Bertrand
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: pay attention on RAM extension Reply with quote

bertrandnantes wrote:

thanks,

what i do not understand also is why the sound is weak. did you fix that also? I am running a fedora ... and for the moment couldnt fix the wifi problem i will try tonight

Bertrand

Have you set your alsamixer up? I've got PCM at 85 (to stop distortion) and Master at 87. Works fine.

-K
gentoza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: i have same trouble Reply with quote

Kasyx wrote:
gentoza wrote:

where i can get bios 2.4
?

Are you using the computer enough to warrant the fan coming on?

From a cold start, it maybe takes 10 or more minutes before the fan comes on, if I do some heavy work. Even then, unless I'm playing a graphically intensive game, it only spikes every so often.

-K

well using glxgears to reach 90 ºC is sufficient or it has to reach 115 ºC ???

when i reboot gpu fan turns out inmediately and y feel hot air in the left, but during linux normal operation :P
gentoza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: its geting to hot Reply with quote

well im maintainign it at 90 ºc which glxgears and nvidia setings hardware monitor mark this zone has red so i thing its enought my gpu fan dosent work in linux after a dsdt fixed and sound works the only thing dosent gpu fan so,

y read that 3.3 bioses are ugly whith linux where i can found a 2.4 old bios for a pspa3e toshiba p100 satellite, i try in toshiba and no luck anly 3.3 bioses
gentoza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: humm Reply with quote

if its not posible to find a 2.4 bios i think, searching inet for a good pasive laptop cooler :P
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: its geting to hot Reply with quote

gentoza wrote:
well im maintainign it at 90 ºc which glxgears and nvidia setings hardware monitor mark this zone has red so i thing its enought my gpu fan dosent work in linux after a dsdt fixed and sound works the only thing dosent gpu fan so,

y read that 3.3 bioses are ugly whith linux where i can found a 2.4 old bios for a pspa3e toshiba p100 satellite, i try in toshiba and no luck anly 3.3 bioses

I still think you're being far too hasty. glxgears is nowhere near rigorous a test. I ran it for half an hour after you posted, and the gpu fan didn't come on. Yet playing Oblivion or Eve, it comes on after a few minutes.

glxgears is an incredibly simple render for the gpu to do, it's like asking your cpu to add numbers together. That's why I get ~500fps fullscreen glxgears, and only 20fps when playing games, if not less. That's why glxgears is only ever used as a rough indication of how good your graphics card is, and not a hard and fast benchmarking tool.

Find something really graphically intensive, like NWN or something. Play that for a bit and then say it doesn't kick in.

I for one am glad it hardly kicks in, it's the most annoying sound on the planet, having it rev up to full, the slowly slide down to idle again, only to rev up. Why they didn't have it increase with the temperature, and not just a single limit, I'll never know.

-K
gentoza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: its geting to hot Reply with quote

Kasyx wrote:
gentoza wrote:

I still think you're being far too hasty. glxgears is nowhere near rigorous a test. I ran it for half an hour after you posted, and the gpu fan didn't come on. Yet playing Oblivion or Eve, it comes on after a few minutes.

glxgears is an incredibly simple render for the gpu to do, it's like asking your cpu to add numbers together. That's why I get ~500fps fullscreen glxgears, and only 20fps when playing games, if not less. That's why glxgears is only ever used as a rough indication of how good your graphics card is, and not a hard and fast benchmarking tool.

Find something really graphically intensive, like NWN or something. Play that for a bit and then say it doesn't kick in.

I for one am glad it hardly kicks in, it's the most annoying sound on the planet, having it rev up to full, the slowly slide down to idle again, only to rev up. Why they didn't have it increase with the temperature, and not just a single limit, I'll never know.

-K

i orderer a copy of nwn platinum from tuxgames bur it hasnt arrive yet i only have old computer games, and beryl maybe i try a doom or ut2004 demo, after half and hour y give it a try :)
gentoza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: well definitively Reply with quote

sorry but not works in a week after the acpi fixed dosent work in gentoo never, after 8 hours of intensive using the left side of the laptop its cold, the only fan its using is cpu fan thats works well but gpu reaches easily 100 ºC when playing ut2004-demo, and sometimes ut hangs i think its because overheating of the gpu, i tried to use powe rmangement to adjust video fan but its not suported by lmsensors and nvclock, any idea ???

sorry for bad english i'm from spain :P
flexo3105
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally ............ (after half a year of pure hate :))

first post here , got sound , acpi , fans on gpu(seems like its on all the time, same as on windows xp ...but on lowest level) / cpu working perfectly , thanks to you guys !!!

tried almost everything to get it running with bios 3.30 but no luck ...
downgraded my bios to 2.40 (if anyone wants to try/couldnt find it elsewhere, i could upload it, worked like a charm here even tho i was a little worried about the downgrading process... )

but it solved the issues i had.

as of now i'm running ubuntu feisty with newest alsa , bios 2.40 , nvidia 1.0-9755 drivers on a toshiba p100-194 (german one) ------pspa6e- 01q01cgc on 2.6.20-15-generic

no problems so far ..temps on the gpu are around 45 °C (with beryl a little more, around 50 or max 55) , cpu 34 °C (with beryl around 40 or a bit more) havent tried any games ...

if anyone needs the dsdt... i'll upload it

thanks again
flexo
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Overheating Issues Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've just seen my CPU temp hit 100 degrees. This is a little scary, since when I first installed Gentoo it averaged about 45 degrees. Lately it's been creeping up, 55 or even 65 - but 100 is oddly worrying.

What's the current thinking on getting fans working? I've had the sound working well since the start of the year, and I really thought I was free of ACPI issues, but this makes me wonder...

(I'm not sure whether this is best in this thread or starting a new one, but since this is the major temp related thing I've done to the machine, this seemed a good place to start)
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Issues Reply with quote

boroshan wrote:
Hi All,

I've just seen my CPU temp hit 100 degrees. This is a little scary, since when I first installed Gentoo it averaged about 45 degrees. Lately it's been creeping up, 55 or even 65 - but 100 is oddly worrying.

What's the current thinking on getting fans working? I've had the sound working well since the start of the year, and I really thought I was free of ACPI issues, but this makes me wonder...

(I'm not sure whether this is best in this thread or starting a new one, but since this is the major temp related thing I've done to the machine, this seemed a good place to start)

It does depend entirely on what you're doing. I'm sitting and it's idling about 58. I've been hearing a fan come on, but after all these posts I'm suspicious it's not the GPU fan (the fan on the left hand side of the laptop doesn't seem to come on).
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Issues Reply with quote

Kasyx wrote:
boroshan wrote:
Hi All,

It does depend entirely on what you're doing.

Good point, but I don't think it applies in this case. I've done everything from nothing-but-editing to running emerge -e world in one window while testing a web app using vmware and Internet Exploder in another. It's never gone anywhere near that temp, and I have made some major demands on this machine in the time I've owned it.

As an update, the thing eventually got hot enough to refuse to boot (although my XP partition still booted just fine). Then, after I got home in the evening, it booted just fine, and ran inside more-or-less normal temperature ranges.

Back at work today, I'm still trying to get those blasted KDE updates compiled, and it's running 85-90, which is still hotter than I'm happy with.

Really, what I'd like to know is why it started running so hot. So I'm wondering if any of the other hacked DSDT's on this thread are showing similar problems. There's no overheating sticky, so it's probably not a broken update as such, but it might be one that doesn't play nice with out workarounds here.

[edit] Only read half the post! :roll:

Kasyx wrote:

I've been hearing a fan come on, but after all these posts I'm suspicious it's not the GPU fan (the fan on the left hand side of the laptop doesn't seem to come on).

Yep, I wonder about that. I hardly ever hear a fan turn on. I can feel warm air coming out the side vent, but I think that could be radiant heat or normal convection. I really would like to get the fans fixed on this thing.
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update: Still fiddling with my settings, I turned the BIOS back to "performance" mode. Much to my surprise the CPU fan started working. I've not heard that sound in a while, so I'm speculating that the BIOS somehow got jammed onto "silent" mode, even though the menu said "performance".

It still gets hotter than I'm used to seeing, but at least it cools back down again now.

But the GPU fan still seems dead. :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: