Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PS3 issue - eth0 now configured by default as wireless?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonky99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: PS3 issue - eth0 now configured by default as wireless? Reply with quote

I just got done with a fresh install of Gentoo using a stage4 tarball, and after the very first reboot, eth0 thinks it's a wireless interface. When net.eth0 is called, it appears to be trying to look for ESSID settings, and fails with a "Check your conf.d/wireless settings" of sorts.

I've installed Gentoo on my PS3 in the past without ever having this issue. Since the setup is very straightforward, I'm positive I didn't botch anything up there. I used the tutorial located here: http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/Gentoo_-_The_next_step , and aside from copying /etc/resolv.conf, toying with the network isn't even part of the installation.

I'm trying to work remotely over SSH, but SSHD calls net.eth0, which fails because.. it thinks it's now wireless (it's the normal wired ethernet port).

I had to rc-update del net.eth0 default for now so I can at least get SSH up and running, but does anyone have any idea why this is happening now? Was the Stage4 tarball changed?

My conf.d/net file is empty (even tried config_eth0 = { "dhcp" } with no luck), and other than that, I'm really not sure why the system would now think it's wireless. I know there was a wireless patch from Sony last week, but unsure whether or not this is related. Just find it odd that it always worked before, and now out of the blue it think it's wireless.

I can get an IP just fine from my network if I manually call "dhcpcd eth0", so it works in that aspect.

I've also read that the eth0 port, if you're using the new kernel that supports the wifi, is both wired and wireless, so I'm assuming this is the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
SnakeByte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

to help debugging you could post the output of
Code:
dmesg | grep -i eth

to see ethernet related boot messages.

Also
Code:
ifconfig

would be interesting to see if there is more than one interface now.

If the kernel uses modules the load order also has an effect on the eth numbering.

regards
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: PS3 issue - eth0 now configured by default as wireless? Reply with quote

wonky99 wrote:
I just got done with a fresh install of Gentoo using a stage4 tarball, and after the very first reboot, eth0 thinks it's a wireless interface. When net.eth0 is called, it appears to be trying to look for ESSID settings, and fails with a "Check your conf.d/wireless settings" of sorts.

I've installed Gentoo on my PS3 in the past without ever having this issue. Since the setup is very straightforward, I'm positive I didn't botch anything up there. I used the tutorial located here: http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/Gentoo_-_The_next_step , and aside from copying /etc/resolv.conf, toying with the network isn't even part of the installation.

I'm trying to work remotely over SSH, but SSHD calls net.eth0, which fails because.. it thinks it's now wireless (it's the normal wired ethernet port).

I had to rc-update del net.eth0 default for now so I can at least get SSH up and running, but does anyone have any idea why this is happening now? Was the Stage4 tarball changed?

My conf.d/net file is empty (even tried config_eth0 = { "dhcp" } with no luck), and other than that, I'm really not sure why the system would now think it's wireless. I know there was a wireless patch from Sony last week, but unsure whether or not this is related. Just find it odd that it always worked before, and now out of the blue it think it's wireless.

I can get an IP just fine from my network if I manually call "dhcpcd eth0", so it works in that aspect.

I've also read that the eth0 port, if you're using the new kernel that supports the wifi, is both wired and wireless, so I'm assuming this is the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yeah, this is going to be a sticky problem to work through. I created those stages you used and added the wireless driver into it (compiled, not as a module). The problem is that the wired and wireless share the same ethX device. So I think this futzes up the network init scripts.

For the interim, you could add a call to dhcpcd -d eth0 to /etc/conf.d/local.start and see if that temporarily resolves the problems. Give me a day or two to see what I can figure out. Also, if you could join us on IRC, it would help so we can debug. In my case, it works just fine. Others, not so.
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: documentation Reply with quote

Also, for the record, I would prefer you use -> http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3 for directions to setup Gentoo. We need to get to one handbook.
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Fix for networking issue Reply with quote

To fix the described networking bug where you want to use wired and it detects eth0 as wireless, add the following to /etc/conf.d/net:

modules=( "!iwconfig" "!wpa_supplicant" "ifconfig" )"

I'll rebuild the stages this weekend and slip this fix in automatically.
anunakin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fix for networking issue Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:
To fix the described networking bug where you want to use wired and it detects eth0 as wireless, add the following to /etc/conf.d/net:

I'll rebuild the stages this weekend and slip this fix in automatically.

Thank you! :wink:
Sony PS2 50001, with PS2Linux, HDD 80GB
Mac Tzu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

I just finished a stage 4 32ul install of Gentoo. I think that i the have the same problem as wonky but i am not sure. I know it sound funny but i traveling with a only a previous knowledge on dos6 makes it hard to identify what the problem is. I can't emerge anything or ping anything. And i have tried {modules=( "!iwconfig" "!wpa_supplicant" "ifconfig" )"}
in /etc /conf.d/net with out any luck.
piratetitan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Umm... Reply with quote

Do you have both a wired connection hooked up to your PS3, and a wireless network set up?

and if I remember correctly, if you keep on getting syntax errors then take out the last quotation mark, so instead of

it should be

modules=( "!iwconfig" "!wpa_supplicant" "ifconfig" )

That fixed my problems, though I don't know if your having the exact same problem.
Mac Tzu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

Now there is no error but still can't get network access. So I have loaded the live cd (where is can access internet and emerge) and run emerger --update --deep -newuse world. Make sure everything is up to date.

ok that just finished doing it's thing. still no success :(
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: syntax error in my answer Reply with quote

When I posted my response (as prior posts state) there is a syntax error with an extra trailing " ... remove that.

Could you be more specific about network access? Can you configure or lease an IP address? Can you ping your router or gateway? Is it a nameserver problem?
Mac Tzu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Soz about being Newbiee-lishious. I don't know how to identify a server name problem. I have net access when using livecd. Not when I boot normally
My boot up screen is
Starting eth0
Loading networking modules for eth0
For WPA suport (wpa_supplicant) support, emerge net-wireless/wpa_supplicant

Error cannot start netmount as net.eth0 coudl not start
Error cannot start sshd as net.eth0 coudl not start

except for adding your script Ranger everything else in default and resovl.conf is set to 192.168.0.1
Drikus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rangerpb.

Some feedback.

At http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3 when wgetting or links2 getting http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/experimental/ppc64/stages/stage4-ppc64-ps3_32ul.tar.bz2 eth0 interface wasn't up so had to

Code:

ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpd eth0

to start the interfac and be able to download the tarball after that.

After rebooting I did run into the same issue as wonky99 ending up with a dead eth0 interface confusing it with a wireless interface. After adding modules=( "!iwconfig" "!wpa_supplicant" "ifconfig" ) in /etc/cionf.d/net all works fine. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: