View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: HP revokes your warranty when installing Linux on laptops Reply with quote

Here's a summary of the article in the Dutch Linux Magazine:

The Dutch Linux user miss Breeden was in for a disappointment when see turned to HP for problems with her Compaq Presario C340NR. According to HP her warranty was revoked the moment she installed Linux on her laptop.

Source: 'Linux Magazine' page 7

Ain't that something? I guess this isn't even allowed by law.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HP revokes your warranty when installing Linux on laptop Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
Here's a summary of the article in the Dutch Linux Magazine:

The Dutch Linux user miss Breeden was in for a disappointment when see turned to HP for problems with her Compaq Presario C340NR. According to HP her warranty was revoked the moment she installed Linux on her laptop.

Source: 'Linux Magazine' page 7

Ain't that something? I guess this isn't even allowed by law.

*resisting the urge to ridicule buying a Compaq anything*
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffs. I've got an HP laptop and the USB ports are failing! Not happy

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
vonr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be a new policy.

I had a Compaq's DVD-drive fail on me about a year ago. After I called tech support and mentioned I was running Linux, I was told I had to put windows back on the thing - which was quite the undertaking since the friggin DVD-drive had failed.

My warranty was not revoked however.
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is old: http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/23/1430204&tid=3
And the clarificaton: http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/30/199253&tid=7&tid=3
Quote:
HP is committed to supporting its customers and backs its PCs with a solid hardware warranty regardless of the operating system.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonr wrote:
This must be a new policy.

I had a Compaq's DVD-drive fail on me about a year ago. After I called tech support and mentioned I was running Linux, I was told I had to put windows back on the thing - which was quite the undertaking since the friggin DVD-drive had failed.

My warranty was not revoked however.

Lol, nice avatar. The A-Team rocks :). Well at least it's an workaround to put Windows back your laptop. It would be interesting to know HP offical statement about this.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyqil wrote:
This is old: http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/23/1430204&tid=3
And the clarificaton: http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/30/199253&tid=7&tid=3
Quote:
HP is committed to supporting its customers and backs its PCs with a solid hardware warranty regardless of the operating system.

Hey thanks for the links! It seems that the message in Linux Magazine was flawed :x. Apparently see isn't even Dutch...

Last edited by Kasumi_Ninja on Tue May 08, 2007 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
vonr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
Well at least it's an workaround to put Windows back your laptop. It would be interesting to know HP offical statement about this.

Well, the tech support guy literally told me: "we are not supporting Linux, tech support will not look at it unless Windows is installed". It's a shame they're not supporting it (at least over here in The Netherlands) as their hardware usually works great under Linux.

And yes, the A-Team > *. Mr. T pities the fool who falls for his 'disguise' :D .
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonr wrote:

I have the same issue with an old Compaq desktop. The GPU is fried, and I'm told I have to restore the original installation of Windows (not possible as I no longer have a copy) to rule out a 'software conflict'. They want to charge me more than a replacement GPU is worth to buy a DVD off them. I spent a small fortune on an extended warranty and it's worthless.. :/
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
vonr wrote:

I have the same issue with an old Compaq desktop. The GPU is fried, and I'm told I have to restore the original installation of Windows (not possible as I no longer have a copy) to rule out a 'software conflict'. They want to charge me more than a replacement GPU is worth to buy a DVD off them. I spent a small fortune on an extended warranty and it's worthless.. :/

Presumably you weren't told you had to run windows on the system when you paid for the warranty. I'd demand a refund myself.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drwook wrote:
Monkeh wrote:
vonr wrote:

Presumably you weren't told you had to run windows on the system when you paid for the warranty. I'd demand a refund myself.

No, we weren't. And it's not just that you have to run Windows, they're demanding an original restore of Windows on it. It currently runs Windows, but not their nice, out of date, insecure, totally screwed up bloated original package which was seriously unstable..
Donman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah, my speakers are all fubared on my HP laptop. I have already sent it off once before for it to be fixed for this very same problem, but I do think I did have Windows installed at the time. It is still under the limited warranty (bought it last August). When I got it back, apparently all they did was switch out the motherboard and cover the screen in some nasty film. I then installed Linux on it, wiping Windows completely, and now I have discovered that my recovery discs for Windows no longer work (says the PC model is unsupported). What crap. I think I will just blank the hard drive and tell them I was thinking my Windows installation was messed up and that is why my speakers where, but when I tried to recover it with the discs it failed. Hopefully it will end up with my speakers fixed once and for all, and my recovery discs working again (not that I want Windows, its just that this laptop came with a nifty program called Quickplay that I could boot straight into and watch movies. Have not found a replacement for it and really want it back).
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for any tech who tried to tell me that they're not fixing broken hardware because I won't install broken software on it.
I don't feel at all sorry for the company though.

Luckily consumer laws here aren't too horrible, so I could use that to get them to replace it. In theory at least...

Honestly though, if my fridge breaks six months after I buy it (funnily enough, this isn't so common) they get it fixed. They don't tell me "Sorry sir but you had three cans of beer in there. We don't support alcohol in our fridges so you'll have to buy a new one."
It would be really nice if the computer industry as a whole grew up and behaved like everyone else.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donman wrote:
(not that I want Windows, its just that this laptop came with a nifty program called Quickplay that I could boot straight into and watch movies. Have not found a replacement for it and really want it back).

If that's the same piece of software I'm thinking of... It's Linux + mplayer and a fancy interface. My laptop came with the same thing.
Donman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:

If that's the same piece of software I'm thinking of... It's Linux + mplayer and a fancy interface. My laptop came with the same thing.

Not quite. It was more of a mix of a stripped Windows XP and WMP, sadly. But, it worked great for watching movies and I quite liked it. It even blue screened on me once (or twice?) in the middle of a movie I was watching with my girlfriend. I thought it was amusing, while she poked fun at me for being such a geek. Ah, good times..
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geexbox seems to be what you want, if you do not like crashes ;)
vonr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:
I feel sorry for any tech who tried to tell me that they're not fixing broken hardware because I won't install broken software on it.
I don't feel at all sorry for the company though.

Well, I was kind of pissed off at this stage as well. However, it doesn't even come close to how pissed off I was after it took them 2.5 months to 'repair' it, them not sending it back to me until after I'd called them for the twentieth time, and them putting a nice 'repaired' sticker on it while they did in fact not fix the DVD-drive. Let me repeat: they said they fixed it, it took them over two months, and the friggin' thing was not even touched. After calling them, they said the DVD-drive was 'not in stock'. They did not tell me this prior to sending it back with a 'fixed' sticker on top.

My resulting spree of phone-terror led me to a guy quite high up at tech support, who offered me a full refund. Not bad for a year-old laptop.

Archangel1 wrote:
Honestly though, if my fridge breaks six months after I buy it (funnily enough, this isn't so common) they get it fixed. They don't tell me "Sorry sir but you had three cans of beer in there. We don't support alcohol in our fridges so you'll have to buy a new one."
It would be really nice if the computer industry as a whole grew up and behaved like everyone else.

++. Retarded does not even begin to describe the current situation.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always keep the (shrunken to the minimum) Windows Partition on laptops. You can easily use it to install new firmware versions :twisted:

But If I see that this delivered windows installation on my HP Compaq NX6325 reboots three times at every cold start until you actually have a running windows desktop, I ask myself if somebody out there is actually using this crap. I don't know of long time stability, because I never had windows running longer than five minutes :twisted:

Any linux distribution I tested runs rock stable on this baby (if you use a proper kernel that is) :wink:
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Off the Wall.
Not about gentoo, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Kolaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to have nx6110 loved it worked nice but now my opinion about laptops have changed (the 1 year warranty is so short) and not to mention it broke down yesterday :? ...i think i'll never buy a laptop again (atleast for 3 years) they should start to build laptops that last more than the 2 years at most.
freelight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dual-booting Windows and Linux on my HP laptop (and pretty much never using the Windows partition), and they had no problem with it when I called tech support. I had random lockups and the system was refusing to POST sometimes. I sent it in to them (after failed attempts by phone support) and they replaced the RAM, tested it and sent me back a working laptop.

"Let the gremlins eat your soul... it's invigorating." --LD
bushvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dual booting as well... Gentoo & Ubuntu... *lol*
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushvin wrote:
I'm dual booting as well... Gentoo & Ubuntu... *lol*

Why's that? Surely one Linux should be enough, certainly if it's Gentoo...
bushvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell computers (besides providing IT services) , and I want to provide an alternative to the default windows setup you find on all too many computers.
That's why I'm testing ubuntu.
ShinyThings
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushvin wrote:
I sell computers (besides providing IT services) , and I want to provide an alternative to the default windows setup you find on all too many computers.
That's why I'm testing ubuntu.

A guy once told me a story about that. He said he was putting himself out of business by selling computers with Linux, because no one ever needed any tech support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: