Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[PALUDIS] Support thread (current v. 0.22.2) - Part 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEDevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
reemerging a binary will not change its linkage, revdep-rebuild ignores binary packages by default, check_linkage.rb doesn't (not sure why)

Oh, revdep-rebuild have FINALLY been patched? For years it has insisted on reemerging openoffice-bin and firefox-bin for me. But considering it took 5 years or so for revdep-rebuild to get fixed in regard to this I dont think a relatively brand new tool stumbling on this issue is that big of a deal. Im sure they will fix that problem is less then 1/10th the time it took revdep-rebuild to get fixed.

In either case, whether you prefer revdep-rebuild or check-linkage, its a sad thing such tools are required at all. The whole issue could just be avoided by proper use of a feature that has been existing for years already, SLOTS. Why silently break software needlessly all over the place when you can just have both the new and the old library coexisting next to each other until all the software depending on the old one has been updated and it can safely be removed from the system. :roll: Its just one of those things that has amazingly been allowed to remain at status que for way too long in Gentoo.
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEDevil wrote:

++
STEDevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.doe wrote:

at the moment there is nothing like the PORT_LOGDIR feature in Portage where all output is written.

You can get something similar using hooks and there is some tools in paludis-extras overlay to make it easier to set up (CM probably would tell you to manually make the symlinks though :-D)

I wrote a guide how to do it a little while ago.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-551137-highlight-paludis.html
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEDevil wrote:
john.doe wrote:

at the moment there is nothing like the PORT_LOGDIR feature in Portage where all output is written.

You can get something similar using hooks and there is some tools in paludis-extras overlay to make it easier to set up (CM probably would tell you to manually make the symlinks though :-D)

I wrote a guide how to do it a little while ago.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-551137-highlight-paludis.html

Thanks for remembering.I did read it once and i have enabled mostly all hooks,but the demos-elog-einfo hook was overlooked by me.Will try it out. :wink:
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demos-elog-einfo gives quite some output, so i usualy enable only ewarn and eerror hooks.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zxy wrote:
STEDevil wrote:

++

full ack :)
hope this will be fixed soon,

qlop doesn't work properly btw., it's enabled under paludis-hooks (portage-utils ?) but only shows the install & uninstall log:

if I issue
Quote:
qlop -t mozilla-firefox
or other apps, there's no output

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
qlop doesn't work properly btw., it's enabled under paludis-hooks (portage-utils ?) but only shows the install & uninstall log:

if I issue
Quote:
qlop -t mozilla-firefox

yeah, this has been already reported and fixed in 20070410, I was so focused on the new --current ouput, that I forgot to check this one :)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truc wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

if I issue
Quote:
qlop -t mozilla-firefox

yeah, this has been already reported and fixed in 20070410, I was so focused on the new --current ouput, that I forgot to check this one :)

Kate Monster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there going to be a paludis replacement for --buildpkg, and --usepkg anytime soon?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaero wrote:
Is there going to be a paludis replacement for --buildpkg, and --usepkg anytime soon?

To quote http://paludis.pioto.org/trac/ticket/80 and http://paludis.pioto.org/trac/ticket/114 "When it's done."
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:

[...]
Finally, the things we don't have that some people would really like. There are probably other things, some of which we won't implement because they're really bad ideas and the user is sometimes wrong, but here's the impression I get:
    Binaries. Specifically, a decent binary package format and proper binary package handling. This is nearly done, and will be in before 1.0. (I keep saying "next major release", but then end up doing a release for a different new feature instead -- releasing often is helpful for everyone.)

[...]

Source:
http://ciaranm.org/show_post/95
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when updating world I get loads of annoying error messages, any idea how to "fix" them, I'd nevertheless like to install those from the overlays ... thanks:

Quote:
die trap: exiting with error.
paludis@1176580489: [WARNING] In program paludis -i world -p:
... When performing install action from command line:
... When executing install task:
... When adding PackageDepSpec 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers':
... When checking mask reasons for 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r10::sabayon'
... When fetching metadata for 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r10':
... When generating version metadata for 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r10':
... Caught exception 'Name '' is not a valid slot name' (paludis::SlotNameError) when generating cache for 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r10::sabayon'
paludis@1176580489: [WARNING] (same context) Could not generate cache for 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r10::sabayon'
paludis@1176580489: [WARNING] No usable metadata for 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r10' in 'sabayon'

!!! ERROR in sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.8:
!!! In ebuild_load_ebuild at line 253
!!! Ebuild '/usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/genkernel/genkernel-3.4.8.ebuild' is not a file

!!! Call stack:
!!! * ebuild_load_ebuild (/usr/libexec/paludis/ebuild.bash:253)
!!! * ebuild_main (/usr/libexec/paludis/ebuild.bash:339)
!!! * main (/usr/libexec/paludis/ebuild.bash:372)

paludis@1176580489: [WARNING] In program paludis -i world -p:
... When adding PackageDepSpec 'sys-kernel/genkernel':
... When checking mask reasons for 'sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.8::portage'
... When fetching metadata for 'sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.8':
... When generating version metadata for 'sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.8':
... Caught exception 'Name '' is not a valid slot name' (paludis::SlotNameError) when generating cache for 'sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.8::portage'
paludis@1176580489: [WARNING] (same context) Could not generate cache for 'sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.8::portage'
paludis@1176580489: [WARNING] No usable metadata for 'sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.8' in 'portage'

these are always 'name' is not a valid slot name exceptions :?

these are errors like:

http://wklej.org/txt/82f27b769c I don't seem to be the only one suffering from them :roll:

dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
Quote:

If what I'm about to say doesn't fix it, you'll need to post the bit before this.
kernelOfTruth wrote:
Quote:
... Caught exception 'Name '' is not a valid slot name' (paludis::SlotNameError) when generating cache for 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.9755-r10::sabayon'

A common cause of this is not having either eclassdirs or master_repository set in the overlay's configuration file. If you don't have a specific reason not to, I suggest you use
Code:
master_repository = gentoo

kernelOfTruth wrote:
Quote:
!!! Ebuild '/usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/genkernel/genkernel-3.4.8.ebuild' is not a file

Is that ebuild a symlink? Paludis doesn't allow that currently, although it will in a future version (I don't know when exactly, but probably not too far off). If so, change it to a copy of the file it's pointing to.

Last edited by dleverton on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
jorges
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Masking packages in overlays Reply with quote

Hi,
One feature I like from paludis is the categories file under /profiles. I would like to go further, but I haven't managed so far. Let's say I add xxx/yyy to the category file of an overlay. Now, the overlay has ten packages in that category, but I want JUST one to be used, and I don't want paludis to include the other nine when doing:
Code:
paludis -i world
The hard way is to include those nine packages under /profiles/package.mask. I was wondering if there is an easier way, i.e. somehow mask everything in package.mask and unmask the one I want in package.unmask. Is it possible, how?

jorges
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if masking a category is possible, but if it isn't you can modify the profile/category of this overlay with a sync_all_post hook :)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dleverton wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
Quote:

If what I'm about to say doesn't fix it, you'll need to post the bit before this.
kernelOfTruth wrote:
Quote:

A common cause of this is not having either eclass_dirs or master_repository set in the overlay's configuration file. If you don't have a specific reason not to, I suggest you use
Code:

kernelOfTruth wrote:
Quote:

Is that ebuild a symlink? Paludis doesn't allow that currently, although it will in a future version (I don't know when exactly, but probably not too far off). If so, change it to a copy of the file it's pointing to.

Quote:
cat /etc/paludis/repositories/xeffects.conf
location = ${ROOT}/usr/local/portage/xeffects/
sync = svn://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org/xeffects/trunk
names_cache = ${location}/.cache/names
cache = ${ROOT}/var/empty
distdir = /home/matthias/distfiles
write_cache = /var/cache/paludis/metadata
format = ebuild

I've everywhere enabled the master_repository part :)

no, genkernel-3.4.8.ebuild is not a symlink, it's file (I've just created it several hours ago)

eclassdirs & master_repository is set:

is 'eclassdirs' right or does it have to be eclass_dirs ? thanks

a part of the problem is that it can't create metadata / or write_cache -> that directory under /var/cache/paludis/metadata is empty

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 136 14. Apr 22:30 paludis

is that the right permissions ? (/var/cache/paludis)

dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
Quote:
cat /etc/paludis/repositories/xeffects.conf
location = ${ROOT}/usr/local/portage/xeffects/
sync = svn://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org/xeffects/trunk
names_cache = ${location}/.cache/names
cache = ${ROOT}/var/empty
distdir = /home/matthias/distfiles
write_cache = /var/cache/paludis/metadata
format = ebuild

I've everywhere enabled the master_repository part :)

That looks OK to me.

kernelOfTruth wrote:
no, genkernel-3.4.8.ebuild is not a symlink, it's file (I've just created it several hours ago)

Odd. Do all the ebuilds you're having trouble with have the "not a file" error, or is genkernel the only one? I'm not sure what would cause it, if they're not symlinks or something weirder.

I see in the other thread that you had the same problem with paludis-extras, but you fixed it by restoring from a backup. Any idea what the difference was?

kernelOfTruth wrote:
is 'eclassdirs' right or does it have to be eclass_dirs ? thanks

Oops, there shouldn't be an underscore there, my mistake. I'll edit my post so no-one else gets confused.

kernelOfTruth wrote:
a part of the problem is that it can't create metadata / or write_cache -> that directory under /var/cache/paludis/metadata is empty

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 136 14. Apr 22:30 paludis

is that the right permissions ? (/var/cache/paludis)

That looks OK, assuming you're running Paludis as root of course. But it won't even try to write the metadata if it thinks the SLOT's bad.
jorges
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truc wrote:
I don't know if masking a category is possible, but if it isn't you can modify the profile/category of this overlay with a sync_all_post hook :)

If I understand what you suggest, it won't help me. I can't see how modifying profile/category would allow me to mask ALL BUT ONE package from that category. I was looking form some sort of wildcard in the package.mask. Nevermind, it's not critical at all.

jorges
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
kernelOfTruth hat Folgendes geschrieben:

Odd. Do all the ebuilds you're having trouble with have the "not a file" error, or is genkernel the only one? I'm not sure what would cause it, if they're not symlinks or something weirder.

yeah, all of them throw this error:

Quote:
paludis -i screenlets -p
Building target list...
Building dependency list...
!!! ERROR in x11-plugins/screenlets-0.0.8_pre-r6:
!!! In ebuild_load_ebuild at line 253
!!! Ebuild '/usr/local/portage/xeffects/x11-plugins/screenlets/screenlets-0.0.8_pre-r6.ebuild' is not a file

!!! Call stack:
!!! * ebuild_load_ebuild (/usr/libexec/paludis/ebuild.bash:253)
!!! * ebuild_main (/usr/libexec/paludis/ebuild.bash:339)
!!! * main (/usr/libexec/paludis/ebuild.bash:372)

paludis@1176587092: [WARNING] In program paludis -i screenlets -p:
... When adding PackageDepSpec 'x11-plugins/screenlets':
... When checking mask reasons for 'x11-plugins/screenlets-0.0.8_pre-r6::xeffects'
... When fetching metadata for 'x11-plugins/screenlets-0.0.8_pre-r6':
... When generating version metadata for 'x11-plugins/screenlets-0.0.8_pre-r6':
... Caught exception 'Name '' is not a valid slot name' (paludis::SlotNameError) when generating cache for 'x11-plugins/screenlets-0.0.8_pre-r6::xeffects'
paludis@1176587092: [WARNING] (same context) Could not generate cache for 'x11-plugins/screenlets-0.0.8_pre-r6::xeffects'
paludis@1176587092: [WARNING] No usable metadata for 'x11-plugins/screenlets-0.0.8_pre-r6' in 'xeffects'

Query error:
* In program paludis -i screenlets -p:
* When performing install action from command line:
* When executing install task:
* When adding PackageDepSpec 'x11-plugins/screenlets':
* All versions of 'x11-plugins/screenlets' are masked. Candidates are:
* x11-plugins/screenlets-0.0.8_pre-r6::xeffects: Masked by eapi ( UNKNOWN ) (probably a broken ebuild)

this is really bad, since because of that I had to uninstall every package associated with those errors,

it seems to me that paludis doesn't recognize overlay-files anymore (caused by not regenerating cache & name error ?) & this is getting worse :?

this error started since updating packages in my world, don't know which of them caused this (after playing back the backup)

dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
this error started since updating packages in my world, don't know which of them caused this (after playing back the backup)

Did you upgrade to Paludis 0.22.x from a previous version? Make sure the overlay directories are accessible to the paludisbuild user account.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dleverton wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

Did you upgrade to Paludis 0.22.x from a previous version? Make sure the overlay directories are accessible to the paludisbuild user account.

not really I 'upgraded' from 0.22.1 to 0.22.2

'SOLVED' :D

I had to chown almost everything to the group paludisbuild, 8O

/usr/portage, /var/cache/paludis/, /var/tmp/paludis, ... & I re-emerged paludis with safe cflags, now it works

thanks, dleverton for your work, once again paludis is pretty educative :lol:

givemesugarr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
givemesugarr wrote:
i have a great problem with paludis:
everytime i issue a command for paludis, wichever it is except the sync, i only get an error:
Quote:
Query error:
* In program paludis -ip --dl-reinstall if-use-changed world:
* When performing install action from command line:
* When executing install task:
* When adding PackageDepSpec 'x11-base/opengl-update':
* No versions of 'x11-base/opengl-update' are available

i verified the presence of this package in portage, and it doesn't figure out, nor as masked, had-masked or stable.... and i don't know where to get it..... i search around in the forum and didn't find any useful reply.... so i'm asking here for some help....

IIRC, you can safely unmerge it. If it's not in portage, it is not needed :wink: (If your system is mostly up-to-date, of course)

you don't understand: these packages never got installed in my system because they where already dumped from portage tree.... The problem is that paludis refuses to upgrade the world because there is some damn broken ebuild, that hasn't been fixed since they were removed from portage and continues to give an error.... Ah, the second package is kde-env and this one, too, hasn't been installed on my system.... this is a damn problem caused by the maintenance of some ebuilds.... I think that when a package is removed from the tree all other packages that require it should be maintained and the deps should be removed....
STEDevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

I had to chown almost everything to the group paludisbuild, 8O

/usr/portage, /var/cache/paludis/, /var/tmp/paludis,

Hmm, I only have /var/tmp/paludis belonging to paludisbuild (IIRC there was some warning messages that paludis couldnt drop to userprivs unless I changed that).

Is it really required to also change /usr/portage and /var/cashe/paludis to the same? Seems to work fine for me with root root 755 both on dirs and files which I assume is system default.
jorges
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Do I have to manually create symlinks for update-eix ? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have paludis-hooks installed with update-eix USE flag. The update-eix.bash hook exists in /usr/share/paludis/hooks/common, but the symlinks to sync_all_pre and sync_all_post are not created. Do I have to do it manually? Why doesn't the ebuild handle this?

jorges
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have to manually create symlinks for update-eix ? Reply with quote

jorges

do you use eselect use flag, too?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: