Freebsd vs. Gentoo forums
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Freebsd vs. Gentoo forums Reply with quote

Recently I become a member of freebsdforums.org and my first impression was that this is some kind of old version of phpBB, but no- it's vBulletin.
Navigation sucks, but it's extremely stable and can hold much more users simultaneously than forums.gentoo.org

Quote:
Most users ever online was 1712 on 04-03-2003 at 08:41 PM.

BSDForums have decent uptime and don't crash if there is more than 300 users online.

Gentoo forums changed recently server OS to Debian but database problems continues.

Maybe it is wise to change os again- this time to bsd or switch BB system?

PS. I'm sorry about my lousy english, but I think you understand what I mean.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Freebsd vs. Gentoo forums Reply with quote

antik wrote:

Quote:
Most users ever online was 1712 on 04-03-2003 at 08:41 PM.

I'm allmost certain thats caused by a bug. I used to visit those forums and they've never been that busy. Certainly not as busy as these forums.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, vBulletin is commercial software. That is a major demerit in my opinion. The fact that the forums are currently running on a Debian system is a temporary measure. We had a hard disk failure on the machine that was hosting the forums, and in order to make the forums usable as quickly as we could, we accepted the gracious offer of Oregon State University to temporarily host the forums. Could you elaborate a bit more about what you mean about "database problems continue"? I am not aware of any database problems since we moved servers last week.
piquadrat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before going to vBulletin, I'd recommend InvisionBoard. First, it's free (but not GPL'ed). Second, it looks better. And very important: it seems to be lighter on the server. I used it myself a few months and there are some very popular and crowdy InvisionBoards around.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Could you elaborate a bit more about what you mean about "database problems continue"? I am not aware of any database problems since we moved servers last week.

Last week it was almost impossible to browse gentoo forums- every time I get various SQL errors or "access denied". Today is first time when I can browse without disturbing errors.

Gentoo is not ready for server today. IMHO.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antik wrote:

There are so many variables that have changed between then and now that to generalize about the fitness of an operating system is totally unwarranted. Disks have changed 4 times, CPUs have changed twice, physical location and associated bandwidth/routing issues have changed, database table types have changed back and forth several times, both webserver and database settings have been tweaked repeatedly.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
antik wrote:

There are so many variables that have changed between then and now that to generalize about the fitness of an operating system is totally unwarranted. Disks have changed 4 times, CPUs have changed twice, physical location and associated bandwidth/routing issues have changed, database table types have changed back and forth several times, both webserver and database settings have been tweaked repeatedly.

I suggest- forums need second/parallel BETAserver where test and tweak hardware and software before it goes to public. Or better- make cluster with load-balancing.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antik wrote:
I suggest- forums need second/parallel BETAserver where test and tweak hardware and software before it goes to public. Or better- make cluster with load-balancing.
Thanks, that would really help. Please get in touch with klieber for the details of where to have things shipped.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: