openbsd-gentoo portage support?????
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artic
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: openbsd-gentoo portage support????? Reply with quote

When i finished the setup of gentoo-openbsd i sync my portage and the surprise was the support of obsd was removed ,i only find FBSD support.
Is this real??? there are an overlay for openbsd??????
xtlosx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm g\obsd eh.. how'd you get that working, last I knew Reb hasn't touched it in forever.. I wanted to play around with it....... I have g\fbsd currently going perfectly..
Linux cebula 3.5.7-gentoo #3 SMP Fri Nov 9 15:26:37 CST 2012 i686 Genuine Intel(R) CPU 1300 @ 1.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
artic
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtlosx wrote:
hmm g\obsd eh.. how'd you get that working, last I knew Reb hasn't touched it in forever.. I wanted to play around with it....... I have g\fbsd currently going perfectly..

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/obsd/doc/gentoo-openbsd.xml

I use the livecd ,it is based on 3.8 obsd version.The setup is easy and the openbsd runs perfect the problem is the portage support is died only fbsd suport exist for BDS systems.I try with a symlink profile to fbsd and it works but some packages won't compile.

I like openbsd over freebsd for server,the problem of openbsd it has few packets to install and the hardware support is limitated.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artic wrote:
xtlosx wrote:

I use the livecd ,it is based on 3.8 obsd version.The setup is easy and the openbsd runs perfect the problem is the portage support is died only fbsd suport exist for BDS systems.I try with a symlink profile to fbsd and it works but some packages won't compile.

I like openbsd over freebsd for server,the problem of openbsd it has few packets to install and the hardware support is limitated.

Have you tried installing things that are keyworded for fbsd?
artic
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
artic wrote:
xtlosx wrote:

Yes ,i tried it ,but compilation of many its broken for example pam ,gettext ,etc .......
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artic wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
artic wrote:
xtlosx wrote:

Yes ,i tried it ,but compilation of many its broken for example pam ,gettext ,etc .......

OpenBSD don't use PAM, they use their own alternative that provides increased security out-of-the-box, so to be honest I'm not surprised in the least. Personally, I'd just write ports for anything they didn't have that I wanted and be done with it, hacking another packaging system on-top-of a distribution/operating system is annoying as hell. There's significant differences between the BSD's, meaning things written for FreeBSD might not work on OpenBSD, because of environment and library differences.
artic
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
artic wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
artic wrote:
xtlosx wrote:

OpenBSD don't use PAM, they use their own alternative that provides increased security out-of-the-box, so to be honest I'm not surprised in the least. Personally, I'd just write ports for anything they didn't have that I wanted and be done with it, hacking another packaging system on-top-of a distribution/operating system is annoying as hell. There's significant differences between the BSD's, meaning things written for FreeBSD might not work on OpenBSD, because of environment and library differences.

The security is the main reason to use openbsd ,my problem is that orginal packages of OBSD are few ,and many aplications isn't ported today.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Unsupported Software to Gentoo on Alternative Architectures.
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not using hardened gentoo ?
i always wonder what is more secure...linux or OpenBSD???
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: