View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarpman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: fluxbox and beryl akind? Reply with quote

widremann wrote:
There is no reason that you can't use Beryl by itself just like you would use Fluxbox...but people don't in general.

sometimes when I feel like a bit of eye-candy I comment out the openbox and xcompmgr lines in my .xinitrc and uncomment beryl-manager. :)
bob_111
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love fluxbox to bits! I say have 2 X displays running. When im coding i switch to fluxbox because beryls crazy effects distracts me.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
Cyker wrote:
What's all the stuff Fluxbox uses for its taskbar etc?

All that stuff is Fluxbox. There is no separate apps for what you see inside fluxbox when you start it for first time.

Nuts. That's what I was afraid of.

Then the only way is if he finds an alternative X app that just makes a startbar-type-thing, or some one will need to kludge something out of the Fluxbox source...
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above n-teen posts with this thread.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
wmgoree
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fluxbox - Beryl Reply with quote

PP133 wrote:
Hey peeps, I'm currently running fluxbox and I absolutely love its simplicity and how quickly you can edit menus and hotkeys, but yesterday I watched a great video on Beryl and now I'm tempted to switch over. So here come the questions.

I'm still not sure what people are really getting at with "running beryl and fluxbox."

What is it about fluxbox that you want to replicate in beryl? The actual window managing capabilities of fluxbox are fairly minimal (which, after all, is what people like about it). Do you just like the look, the taskbar, and the slit? If so, you can run those all from beryl. But they aren't actually fluxbox, they're just programs shipped with fluxbox.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fluxbox - Beryl Reply with quote

wmgoree wrote:
PP133 wrote:
Hey peeps, I'm currently running fluxbox and I absolutely love its simplicity and how quickly you can edit menus and hotkeys, but yesterday I watched a great video on Beryl and now I'm tempted to switch over. So here come the questions.

I'm still not sure what people are really getting at with "running beryl and fluxbox."

What is it about fluxbox that you want to replicate in beryl? The actual window managing capabilities of fluxbox are fairly minimal (which, after all, is what people like about it). Do you just like the look, the taskbar, and the slit? If so, you can run those all from beryl. But they aren't actually fluxbox, they're just programs shipped with fluxbox.

Wrong. The slit and taskbar are compiled directly into the fluxbox binary. There are non-fluxbox related programs that you can install that provide the same features though.
marschw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fluxbox - Beryl Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
There are non-fluxbox related programs that you can install that provide the same features though.

What can replicate the slit?

-=Marcus
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fluxbox - Beryl Reply with quote

marschw wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:
There are non-fluxbox related programs that you can install that provide the same features though.

What can replicate the slit?

-=Marcus

wmswallow
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do some cool stuff with 3ddestop and fluxbox;
http://linuxreviews.org/features/3ddesktop/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: