Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
fdisk nhelp
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makavelli-grid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: fdisk nhelp Reply with quote

i will have only linux on the box an i have only one 8GB H-Drive a cd-rom and my hd is set as secondary master and the cd-rom is set as the secondary slave. What i am intereste in finding out is what options should i use to create my partitions once i started the fdisk option

Thanx
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The directions found on the installation guide are quite good and can be found here ------> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/build.xml#doc_chap6

However I strongly urge you to change your configuration (if I understand you correctly)

When you say
Quote:
my hd is set as secondary master and the cd-rom is set as the secondary slave
do you mean that both your Hard Disk and your CD-Rom are on the same IDE Ribbon connected to the second channel on your IDE controller, while your primary channel is left unused?

If I have correctly identified your setup, I strongly urge you to change your hard disk to the primary channel as the master and change your CD-Rom to the secondary channel as the master. In this new configuration you will get much better performance. (in this configuration your hard disk would be /dev/hda and your cd-rom would be /dev/hdc [which is much more the norm and will make reading the documentation a little easier to digest])

At any rate, even if you choose not to change your setup just keep in mind (again this is only true if I understand correctly) that you will need to address your hard drive as /dev/hdc and your cd-rom as /dev/hdd

I hope that information helps.

Good luck!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please continue the original discussion here instead of starting a new thread. Locking.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: