Splash Image in Grub Menu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Splash Image in Grub Menu Reply with quote

this is a purely cosmetic question regarding the splash image that appears at the Grub menu. I wouldnt have know that there was something other than the black ang gray background before but this morning while i installed/compiled I noticed a very pretty background for the Grub menu.

How do you put your own background in?

Thanks
C
thinker5555
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your menu.lst (grub.conf) file, you'll notice a line that's something like "splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz" You should be able to use your own image (640x480 and 14? colors, at least from what I read on the grub info page), and just save it as an xpm and gzip it, and point your splashimage line to it.

Good luck :)

Jeremy
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes life any easier, I noticed that in gimp w/o installing anything extra I could just type in the file extension .xpm.gz when I saved it and gimp knows what to do. I know it's just one less step, but it's handy.
tkdack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

< SHAMELESS PLUG >
http://gentoo.tkdack.com for gentoo graphics goodness.

Includes a couple of grub splash screens and a few frame buffer boot logo images ( + a kernel patch to select them at make *config time)

< / SHAMELESS PLUG >

Former Gentoo contributor TaD
Rylan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkdack: I like those images alot, but I've never gotten the white "powered by" image to show up correctly. The black one and the standard grub splash image show up fine.
ebichu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for replying to a stale thread. Be gentle, it's my first post! :wink:

Rylan wrote:
tkdack: I like those images alot, but I've never gotten the white "powered by" image to show up correctly. The black one and the standard grub splash image show up fine.

The background looks mostly pink when I use it. This is possibly due to the XPM claiming to have 17 palette entries.

If making your own XPM file for a splash image, don't do what I did and use the Win32 port of The GIMP to create it. It saves the file in MS-DOS format instead of Unix format and the GRUB splashimage code can't handle it. Serves me right, I suppose!

I've yet to confirm which two (of 16) palette entries the splashimage code replaces to display text foreground and background, but I'm guessing it's the last two.
Russki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei,
try to use Gimp plugin.
Read more hier: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6509
Greetings
ebichu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just emerging gimp at the moment (I ran into a missing gtkhtml dependency which the ebuild script didn't seem to know about!), but I'll give your suggestion a try next time I change my boot image. Thanks!
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkdack wrote:
< SHAMELESS PLUG >

Includes a couple of grub splash screens and a few frame buffer boot logo images ( + a kernel patch to select them at make *config time)

< / SHAMELESS PLUG >

That's such a cool site!! Thanks for sharing! :D
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
tkdack wrote:
< SHAMELESS PLUG >

< / SHAMELESS PLUG >

I tried to replace the default with one of this site but no success:-(

MACPRO machine...
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DArtagnan wrote:
Tristam29 wrote:
tkdack wrote:
< SHAMELESS PLUG >

< / SHAMELESS PLUG >

Sorry. :(

This is what I did:

• Download Vanilla Source (emerge vanilla-sources)
  • Download wolk3.4-patchset ( http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=49048&release_id=87122)
  • remove previous kernel link (rm /usr/src/linux)
  • create new kernel link (ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.18/ /usr/src/linux)
  • Remove *debian* from the patchset (disables the silly debian logo.)
  • Apply the patches by running './addpatches' from within the linux-2.4.18-wolk3.4-patchset.
  • Change the Makefile to my own version with date EXTRAVERSION=-myname-2002.07.09
  • Change to the appropriate directory (cd /usr/src/linux/include/linux)
  • Download the appropriate headers (via lynx)
  • gunzip the logo file
  • remove the old linux_logo.h file
  • copy the file you like to linux_logo.h
  • export the appropriate compile flags (for me `export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -pipe";export CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -pipe"
  • Change to the appropriate directory(cd /usr/src/linux)
  • make menuconfig (be sure to enable framebuffer vesa support. You may want to copy the .config file from your previous kernel compilation.)
  • make dep bzImage modules modules_install
  • Wait until it compiles . . . (Boring...)
  • mount /boot (A step I readily forget to do... Gentoo setup directions have it unmounted by default as a security precaution I guess)
  • cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage
  • Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and append vga=788 to your kernel (or any other framebuffer mode you want. I have a laptop that runs in 800x600 so this is the best I can do... You can read some readme in the kernel to find out all the hex numbers. You will have to convert them to decimal).
  • Reboot (ahhh... A pretty logo. Many steps to get a little picture....)
  • Reemerge both the alsa and hotplug packages if you use them...
  • Reboot again... (or load the appropriate modules)
  • Reconfigure your CDR device if you have one (like me..)

It worked for me. Whether it works for you depends on if you have a vesa supported card, whether your monitor supports the given resolution, and wheather you have the appropriate items enabled in your kernel.

It could also depend on if you have a PPC or other arcitecture. I don't have access to these computers, so I dont know.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebichu wrote:
I'm just emerging gimp at the moment (I ran into a missing gtkhtml dependency which the ebuild script didn't seem to know about!)

It that is so, please file a bug report, it can only make Gentoo better :)

Greets
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuild they have on the site is outdated... it's using an earlier prempt patch. I tried changing the version, but the patch doesn't want to go into the vanilla sources for some reason. *shrug*

fidler wrote:
DArtagnan wrote:
Tristam29 wrote:
tkdack wrote:
< SHAMELESS PLUG >

< / SHAMELESS PLUG >

Sorry. :(

This is what I did:

• Download Vanilla Source (emerge vanilla-sources)
  • Download wolk3.4-patchset ( http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=49048&release_id=87122)
  • remove previous kernel link (rm /usr/src/linux)
  • create new kernel link (ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.18/ /usr/src/linux)
  • Remove *debian* from the patchset (disables the silly debian logo.)
  • Apply the patches by running './addpatches' from within the linux-2.4.18-wolk3.4-patchset.
  • Change the Makefile to my own version with date EXTRAVERSION=-myname-2002.07.09
  • Change to the appropriate directory (cd /usr/src/linux/include/linux)
  • Download the appropriate headers (via lynx)
  • gunzip the logo file
  • remove the old linux_logo.h file
  • copy the file you like to linux_logo.h
  • export the appropriate compile flags (for me `export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -pipe";export CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -pipe"
  • Change to the appropriate directory(cd /usr/src/linux)
  • make menuconfig (be sure to enable framebuffer vesa support. You may want to copy the .config file from your previous kernel compilation.)
  • make dep bzImage modules modules_install
  • Wait until it compiles . . . (Boring...)
  • mount /boot (A step I readily forget to do... Gentoo setup directions have it unmounted by default as a security precaution I guess)
  • cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage
  • Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and append vga=788 to your kernel (or any other framebuffer mode you want. I have a laptop that runs in 800x600 so this is the best I can do... You can read some readme in the kernel to find out all the hex numbers. You will have to convert them to decimal).
  • Reboot (ahhh... A pretty logo. Many steps to get a little picture....)
  • Reemerge both the alsa and hotplug packages if you use them...
  • Reboot again... (or load the appropriate modules)
  • Reconfigure your CDR device if you have one (like me..)

It worked for me. Whether it works for you depends on if you have a vesa supported card, whether your monitor supports the given resolution, and wheather you have the appropriate items enabled in your kernel.

It could also depend on if you have a PPC or other arcitecture. I don't have access to these computers, so I dont know.
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
The ebuild they have on the site is outdated... it's using an earlier prempt patch. I tried changing the version, but the patch doesn't want to go into the vanilla sources for some reason. *shrug*

OK. It shouldn't really matter. A easier way to do it is to just overwrite the appropriate file. As long as your kernel source is not 2.4.17 or below it should work. If it is try an emerge rsync and then download the vanilla or xfs-sources. After that just download the appropriate logo. (linux_logo.h) and overwriting the old logo, then compiling should work. Personally I choose the linux_logo-gentoo1.h and renamed it linux_logo.h (overwriting the previous logo). I had to re-emerge my sources because the patch-set wouldn't allow me to use my CDR... :( It worked for me. Make sure you have a kernel version of 2.4.18, or greater. (It *should* work on the gentoo sources as well... don't worry about the patch at gentoo.tkdack.com ; it's usless unless you have a kernel of 2.4.17)

The frame-buffer support is located in the console drivers section. You will need the experimental console druvers turned on for it to work.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It matters when there is a 404 - File Not Found :)
I was just commenting on the ebuild from the site.

fidler wrote:
arkane wrote:

OK. It shouldn't really matter. A easier way to do it is to just overwrite the appropriate file. As long as your kernel source is not 2.4.17 or below it should work. If it is try an emerge rsync and then download the vanilla or xfs-sources. After that just download the appropriate logo. (linux_logo.h) and overwriting the old logo, then compiling should work. Personally I choose the linux_logo-gentoo1.h and renamed it linux_logo.h (overwriting the previous logo). I had to re-emerge my sources because the patch-set wouldn't allow me to use my CDR... :( It worked for me. Make sure you have a kernel version of 2.4.18, or greater. (It *should* work on the gentoo sources as well... don't worry about the patch at gentoo.tkdack.com ; it's usless unless you have a kernel of 2.4.17)

The frame-buffer support is located in the console drivers section. You will need the experimental console druvers turned on for it to work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: