View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buchar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: The best solution for remote desktop Reply with quote

What's the best solution for remote desktop Win32->Gentoo that can be setup by a non-professional ?

I have a Gentoo server at remote location, so far controlled only via ssh. Server is running web, sql, mail and other services. I would like to access it over "remote desktop" from Windows box. That means running graphical apps on the server, but seeing them on my home Win32 desktop at home.

I've read a few articles about Xorg, CygWin/X, FreeNX, VNC... , but couldn't recognize what are their limits or advantages, or if they would work at all for my case.

Thanks for all advices !
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very interesting thread.

I look forward for the response :)
overkll
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I use mindterm as an ssh client on my windows machine to access my linux boxes.

If you want a gui, keep in mind that you'll need ample bandwidth for smooth operation. I recommend some flavor of VNC.

If you are accessing your linux box(es) over the internet, I'd add openvpn into the mix for a secure connection. Both VNC and openvpn have a windows client.
silverter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

personally I use FreeNX to access my gentoo server from win32 using the win nx client from Nomachine. I find it was better that VNC.

hope this helps,

kind regards,
buchar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandwidth is over 2.5Mbits with minimal latency, so it should work fine.

Using FreeNX sounds good, do I need anything else on the server except Xorg and FreeNX server ?

Thanks
Toady
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I dont find that having a GUI on a server to be that usfull - is there somthing in particular that you want to be able to do (like being able to leave stuff running while you log out for example - you might want to look at acreen for that).

If I really HAD to have a desktop that I could connect to on a remote box - I'd probably use VNC - coupled with the desktop of choise (probably somthing light like fluxbox on a server) and then connect to it via an SSH tunnel so that ONLY ssh is available to the internet (or preferably only available to my fixed IP).

Plenty of docs on VNC and even on only spawning a desktop session on connect so that is wasnt always running - there is a good howto on using VNC as a terminal server kicking about on thease forums somwhere.

FreeNX is another good option especially for lower bandwidth / higher latency situations.

Good luck / have fun

Gentoo Laptop
3.1.10-gentoo-r1, Intel Core 2 Duo (32bit)
Gnome on the desk, Intel in the box, on-board everything, but it all works!
buchar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the only reason for having a GUI is that it's more comfortable to work :wink:

Now I use Midnight Commander via ssh, which is not bad , but doesn't have many of useful features which Total Commander has. If I would find any good text-mode replacement for MC, I probably wouldn't need GUI. What seems most useful to me are multiple directory tabs and more desktop space for work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: