View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Kernel-2.6.20: What is the best settings for GA-DS4 Reply with quote

EDIT: you need to have SCSI disk support, SCSI CD-ROM, and SCSI generic enabled in the kernel settings. No need for the old ATA/MRL support.

Hi.

I want to put this in the past one and for all. (Gigabyte P965-DS4)

What would be the best kernel settings for this lspci:
Code:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82P965/G965 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82P965/G965 PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7900 GT/GTO] (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 22)
04:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
04:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
05:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 08)

Please take a special note to the SATA/IDE setting.. I always seem to get something wrong which makes one of my hd fail to mount...

I just want to have all my SATA/IDE ports to work. (Total 8 SATA Ports and 1 IDE port)

Thanks!

Dekel

Last edited by guru369 on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nebvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a DQ6, which is almost 100% identical to the DS4. On 2.6.20 to get access to your drives goto: Device Drivers => Serial ATA and enable Intel PIIX/ICH SATA Support, Jmicron PATA support, and to be safe enable Generic ATA and AHCI SATA support.

I have not yet tried the SATA ports on the Jmicron controller, but they seem to be found fine in dmesg. I'll be getting more hard drives in the next month or two to fill up all 8 ports so we'll see how that goes. Everything else works greats.

I disabled all of Device Drivers => ATA support except for floppy support, all the drives are handled in Serial ATA.

For sound support, goto Device Drivers => Sound => ALSA => PCI => Intel HD Audio

For network support, goto Device Drivers => Network Device => Ethernet (1000 Mbit) and select SysKonnect Yukon2
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebvin wrote:
I have a DQ6, which is almost 100% identical to the DS4. On 2.6.20 to get access to your drives goto: Device Drivers => Serial ATA and enable Intel PIIX/ICH SATA Support, Jmicron PATA support, and to be safe enable Generic ATA and AHCI SATA support.

I have not yet tried the SATA ports on the Jmicron controller, but they seem to be found fine in dmesg. I'll be getting more hard drives in the next month or two to fill up all 8 ports so we'll see how that goes. Everything else works greats.

I disabled all of Device Drivers => ATA support except for floppy support, all the drives are handled in Serial ATA.

For sound support, goto Device Drivers => Sound => ALSA => PCI => Intel HD Audio

For network support, goto Device Drivers => Network Device => Ethernet (1000 Mbit) and select SysKonnect Yukon2

Thanks, Say, What about your bios settings?
Do you use AHCI?
Do you use: Native or Legacy mode for the IDE?
And finally, what do you use for the SATA Ctrl Mode? AHCI, Raid or IDE?

Thanks again,
Dekel
Nebvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHCI for both controllers, and native
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebvin wrote:
AHCI for both controllers, and native

Ok, First try and it seems to recognize my chipsets however It was too fast for me to detect the actual naming of the drives.
Which results in Kernel Panic

Currently my drives are named: sda..sdb hdg etc...

Can you tell me how is the kernel recognize your drives?

Thanks.
Dekel
fxtl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have DQ6 too. I would only enable ACHI SATA Support, not Intel PIIX in Serial ATA config (Compare this and this). Generic SATA support is also useless. ACHI native mode enabled of course in bios.

Nebvin wrote:

:?: Did you enable "Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support", BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY? That has nothing to do with a regular floppy, regular floppy can be found in Block devices --> "Normal floppy disk support", BLK_DEV_FD.

Last edited by fxtl on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
fxtl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebvin wrote:

I actually stopped using this, the driver is totally broken in DQ6 (heavy use crashes the driver). Don't know about the latest .20 kernel, but I doubt if it's any better. I had to use one PCI slot for an external nic :(
Nebvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips there. I'll modify my config and see how it goes.

And for guru369: My drives show up as sda, sdb... just like yours, except for my DVD-R, which is sr0 (udev should make a nice link to it automatically)
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebvin wrote:
Thanks for the tips there. I'll modify my config and see how it goes.

And for guru369: My drives show up as sda, sdb... just like yours, except for my DVD-R, which is sr0 (udev should make a nice link to it automatically)

this just drives me crazy!!

Why oh why the PC get stuck when there is a kernel panic??? At least allow to page up to see the kernel messages!!!!

I have no idea why it cant find the root device.
I tried everything: sda/sdb/sdc hdg you name it!!!

I am sure it finds the drives as I see a glimps of that when the kernel loads!!!

Please HELP!!!

Dekel
Nebvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have for your kernel options in grub/lilo?

Do you have the filesystem you are using compiled into the kernel, or is it a module? if it's a module, do you have an initrd created?
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebvin wrote:
What do you have for your kernel options in grub/lilo?

Do you have the filesystem you are using compiled into the kernel, or is it a module? if it's a module, do you have an initrd created?

Ok its like this:

I have a working kernel setting but it includes the generic ATA settings and generic PCI ata.

My partition layout is as follow:

sda1(NTFS) sda2(NTFS) sda3(FAT32)
sdb1(NTFS) sdb2(Ext2)=My boot partition sdb3(swap) sdb4(Ext3)=My root partition.

hdg1(Ext3) (Download stuff)

I am 100% sure the drives are recognized because I see in the kernel boot messages the AHCI initialize.
I just dont know what names the partition gets...

Fustrating... :x

Oh one more thing:
my grub config:
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.20-gentoo root=/dev/sdb4

Thanks,
Dekel
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone...?? Please??
fxtl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have a some kind of conflict with old ATA drivers (ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support) and new libata drivers (Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers). Try to enable either one, and the other completely disabled. At least if you have both sections enabled, check that "Support for SATA (deprecated;)" is disabled in the old drivers section.

Also read http://linux-ata.org/faq.html
Nebvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention if you had or not, but do you have ext3 compiled into the kernel? Modules only get loaded after root is mounted (unless you set up a initrd). If it is not in the kernel that could be causing the panics.

I'm booting up now with just AHCI SATA and Jmicron PATA, as fxtl recommended.

This is the first time in a very long time I've been able to use gentoo-sources, I am usually dependent upon extra patches to support my hardware. Working great so far.
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxtl wrote:
Maybe you have a some kind of conflict with old ATA drivers (ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support) and new libata drivers (Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers). Try to enable either one, and the other completely disabled. At least if you have both sections enabled, check that "Support for SATA (deprecated;)" is disabled in the old drivers section.

Also read http://linux-ata.org/faq.html

Ok, This: ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support is completely disabled.

I see that all 3 hard drives are detected in the kernel messages but I get kernel panic with the message: VFS: Cannot open root device "hdb" (Tried also sdb/sda you name it) or unknown-block(0,0)

I guess I dont have luck with this kernel... ;-(
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebvin wrote:
You didn't mention if you had or not, but do you have ext3 compiled into the kernel? Modules only get loaded after root is mounted (unless you set up a initrd). If it is not in the kernel that could be causing the panics.

I'm booting up now with just AHCI SATA and Jmicron PATA, as fxtl recommended.

This is the first time in a very long time I've been able to use gentoo-sources, I am usually dependent upon extra patches to support my hardware. Working great so far.

compiled in the kernel....

I envy you!

Dekel
fxtl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some random suggestions:

- try with the stable gentoo-2.6.19-r5 kernel
- /etc/fstab ok? And all the other config files in /etc that have hard drive device entries?
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxtl wrote:
Some random suggestions:

- try with the stable gentoo-2.6.19-r5 kernel
I have it working with 2.6.20-gentoo already but with all the generic IDE stuff.
Quote:
- /etc/fstab ok? And all the other config files in /etc that have hard drive device entries?
/etc/fstab has nothing to do with it I think... Its only taking action when the init system starts.. I am not sure what you mean by the config files in /etc with hard device entries...

Dekel
fxtl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean like lvm.conf (LVM), smartd.conf (smartmontools), at least those have /dev/hd/sd lines in them.

Very weird.. can't help you more, I have to go to bed, its late.
Nebvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread prompted me to clean up my kernel config. After removing some stuff I thought I didn't need, found out you need to have SCSI disk support, SCSI CD-ROM, and SCSI generic (don't know if 1 or two of those are actually needed, but when I removed all 3 I got the same kernel panic you are getting).
guru369
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebvin wrote:
This thread prompted me to clean up my kernel config. After removing some stuff I thought I didn't need, found out you need to have SCSI disk support, SCSI CD-ROM, and SCSI generic (don't know if 1 or two of those are actually needed, but when I removed all 3 I got the same kernel panic you are getting).

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!!

SCSI is all I needed.. wooffff...-sign-

You are why this community is so great!!!

Dekel
bandwidthjunkie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I have an S3 and the jmicron has been giving me loads of trouble; either the cd drive worked, but the machine locked up every few minutes for a second, or it wasn't there at all. However now, fingers crossed, everything seems to be working properly :) network and cdrom are finally happy happy.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask a favour?

I am looking for examples to try the method given in Greg Kroah-Hartman's "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell", Chapter 7 "Determining the Correct Module from Scratch". This method requires the PCI vendor id and device id for the device: output from
Code:
lspci
as well as
Code:
lspci -n
is needed.

Would somebody like to post these two items using a board that has figured in this topic?

In return, I will check the latest kernel source available which, at present, appears to be 2.6.20-git11 (there are no more recent mm patches than 2.6.20-rc6-mm3) for support for SATA, IDE and Ethernet controllers.

One or more of these worked examples (probably the successful ones :) ) will end up in Updated KC11
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Nebvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a Gigabyte DQ6:

Code:
lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation SATA Controller AHCI (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 7280
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 72a0
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 22)
04:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
04:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
05:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

Code:
lspci -n

00:00.0 0600: 8086:29a0 (rev 02)
00:01.0 0604: 8086:29a1 (rev 02)
00:1a.0 0c03: 8086:2834 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 0c03: 8086:2835 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 0c03: 8086:283a (rev 02)
00:1b.0 0403: 8086:284b (rev 02)
00:1c.0 0604: 8086:283f (rev 02)
00:1c.4 0604: 8086:2847 (rev 02)
00:1c.5 0604: 8086:2849 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 0c03: 8086:2830 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 0c03: 8086:2831 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 0c03: 8086:2832 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 0c03: 8086:2836 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 0604: 8086:244e (rev f2)
00:1f.0 0601: 8086:2810 (rev 02)
00:1f.2 0106: 8086:2821 (rev 02)
00:1f.3 0c05: 8086:283e (rev 02)
01:00.0 0300: 1002:7280
01:00.1 0380: 1002:72a0
03:00.0 0200: 11ab:4362 (rev 22)
04:00.0 0106: 197b:2363 (rev 02)
04:00.1 0101: 197b:2363 (rev 02)
05:06.0 0c00: 104c:8024

wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebvin, thank you for the lspci. If you update your pci.ids (run update-pciids — it has to be run as root because it writes into /usr/share/misc), you will find that the ATI devices become "Radeon X1950 Pro (Primary) (PCIE)" and "Radeon X1950 Pro (Secondary) (PCIE)".

A fully worked out example for
Code:
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation SATA Controller AHCI (rev 02)
00:1f.2 0106: 8086:2821 (rev 02)

Searching the list of vendor id's in the kernel to find what "8086" is coded as
Code:
grep -i 8086 /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/include/linux/pci_ids.h
#define PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL             0x8086
("grep -i" is used even though this is all digits as the hexadecimal digits a-f may appear as A-F) now to find the device id
Code:
find /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11 -name \*.c | xargs grep -l INTEL
which yields 121 files but, as the file we are interested in must be under "drivers/ata", it reduces to
Code:
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/ata/ahci.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/ata/ata_piix.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/ata/pata_mpiix.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/ata/pata_oldpiix.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/ata/pata_pdc202xx_old.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/ata/sata_sil24.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/ata/sata_vsc.c
We are looking for a line in a table which is headed
Code:
static const struct pci_device_id
ahci.c has
Code:
        { PCI_VDEVICE(INTEL,0x2821), board_ahci_pi }, /* ICH8 */
ata_piix.c hasn't got it (this is older code, it doesn't have INTEL in the table but 0x8086); pata_mpiix.c, pata_oldpiix.c, pata_pdc202xx_old.c (only has Promise devices), sata_sil24.c and sata_sil24.c don't have it either. So the driver for this chipset is ahci.c.

The next step is to find the kernel configuration variable which causes this module to be compiled
Code:
find /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11 -name Makefile | xargs grep ahci
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/ata/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_SATA_AHCI)       += ahci.o
shows the variable is CONFIG_SATA_AHCI: starting menuconfig and using Search to look for SATA_AHCI shows
Code:
Symbol: SATA_AHCI [=y]
Prompt: AHCI SATA support
  Defined at drivers/ata/Kconfig:26
  Depends on: ATA && PCI
      -> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
        -> ATA device support (ATA [=y])
Navigating to the screen following "Location" shows
Code:
<*>   AHCI SATA support

Results in brief for
Code:
03:00.0 0200: 11ab:4362 (rev 22)
#define PCI_VENDOR_ID_MARVELL           0x11ab

Files found: /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/net/{forcedeth,sk98lin/skge,skge,sky2,via-velocity}.c
Matching device id found in /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/net/sky2.c
Code:
        { PCI_DEVICE(PCI_VENDOR_ID_MARVELL, 0x4362) }, /* 88E8053 */

Code:
$ find /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11 -name Makefile | xargs grep sky2
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/net/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_SKY2) += sky2.o

Searching for the configuration variable
Code:
Prompt: SysKonnect Yukon2 support (EXPERIMENTAL)
     -> Network device support
       -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])
         -> Ethernet (1000 Mbit)

Results in brief for
Code:
04:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
04:00.0 0106: 197b:2363 (rev 02)
04:00.1 0101: 197b:2363 (rev 02) IDE interface
#define PCI_VENDOR_ID_JMICRON           0x197B
Five files show up: /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/{ata/ahci,ata/pata_jmicron,ide/pci/generic,ide/pci/jmicron,pci/quirks}.c
ata/ahci.c: { PCI_VDEVICE(JMICRON, 0x2363), board_ahci_ign_iferr }, /* JMB363 */
ata/pata_jmicron.c: comment at the head of the file "JMicron ATA driver for non AHCI mode. This drives the PATA port of the controller. The SATA ports are driven by AHCI in the usual configuration"
In ata/pata_jmicron.c the entry in the table is
Code:
        { PCI_VDEVICE(JMICRON, PCI_DEVICE_ID_JMICRON_JMB363), 363},
and, going back to /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/include/linux/pci_ids.h
Code:
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_JMICRON_JMB363    0x2363

ide/pci/jmicron.c
Code:
        { PCI_VENDOR_ID_JMICRON, PCI_DEVICE_ID_JMICRON_JMB363, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_A
NY_ID, 0, 0, 1},

From the above it looks as though ahci will drive the JMicron SATA chipset and pata_jmicron should be used to drive the JMicron IDE chipset. The configuration option for ahci has already been found, for pata_jmicron
Code:
find /usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11 -name Makefile | xargs grep pata_jmicron
/usr/src/linux-2.6.20-git11/drivers/ata/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON)    += pata_jmicron.o
and the CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON is set at
Code:
Prompt: JMicron PATA support
     -> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
       -> ATA device support (ATA [=y])

Just checking with 2.6.20-gentoo:

ata/ahci.c
Code:
        { PCI_VDEVICE(INTEL, 0x2821), board_ahci_pi }, /* ICH8 */
        { PCI_VDEVICE(JMICRON, 0x2363), board_ahci_ign_iferr }, /* JMB363 */

ata/pata_jmicron.c
Code:
        { PCI_VDEVICE(JMICRON, PCI_DEVICE_ID_JMICRON_JMB363), 363},

net/sky2.c
Code:
        { PCI_DEVICE(PCI_VENDOR_ID_MARVELL, 0x4362) }, /* 88E8053 */

So support is the same for 2.6.20-gentoo.

patch-2.6.20-git11 contains a large patch to ahci.c, a small tidying-up patch to pata_jmicron and a few new entries in sky2's pci_device_id table and quite a large patch.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: