ReiserFS on PS3?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BloodShed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: ReiserFS on PS3? Reply with quote

I'm installing Gentoo on my PS3. First off, I'm using the original 60GB with 50GB available to Linux.

The problem is, after installing, the boot loader doesn't seem to "see" my drive and stops booting. I have none of the kboot options that I defined in my kboot.conf available at the kboot prompt. I can get to a shell with "sh" but that's about it. I assume it's because I am formatting my drive with ReiserFS instead of ext3. Is this a limitation of Sony's kboot to read ReiserFS or is there some way to make this work? Also, is Sony's kboot related to (or ported from) another work or did they create it?

To be honest, I no idea how the boot procedure is handled with a PS3. I'm guessing that kboot ("kernel boot" I assume) is loaded into the system memory/firmware somewhere. Once executed, it looks for a kboot.conf from a CD or "/" partition, then begins kernel execution from there. I did label my partitions using ReiserFSTune.

I've gone through the installation process about 3 times trying a couple different things with the same results. I read a comment that "/boot" is not used at all. Is that true? This is my original partition configuration:

Primary 1 - 128MB - /boot - ext2
Primary 2 - 1GB - swap - Linux Swap
Primary 3 - 20GB - / - RieserFS
Primary 4 - ~26GB - /home - ReiserFS

I later removed the "/boot" partition and made swap my first primary partition. Same results. Any input? Thanks.

476F 7420 4153 4349 493F
derverstand
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most common reason for this behaviour is: reiser compiled in as module. Why not ext3 as/ ?
/br
BloodShed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derverstand wrote:
Most common reason for this behaviour is: reiser compiled in as module.

So you think Reiser support needs to be compiled into the kernel? kboot doesn't even seem to be getting that far but I really don't know because I don't understand the boot procedure of a PS3.

Honestly though, I'm not sure how Reiser support is compiled because I am using the Live CD and installing the PS3 stage 4 tarball. I might try compiling my own kernel with ReiserFS support and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion.

derverstand wrote:
Why not ext3 as/ ?

Mainly because the speed and limitations are better for ReiserFS.

476F 7420 4153 4349 493F
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: boot problems Reply with quote

There are a couple of things that might be contributing to the failure:

1. I havent checked if kboot can read it's configuration file from reiserfs. iirc it can, but I havent tried it. Changing to ext3 might reveal if that the problem.

2. the other issue is that the sony otheros image prefers that the rootfs diskpartition be labeled as '/'. Try this:

e2label /dev/sda3 /

If you do this, make sure you adjust the contents of etc/fstab and etc/kboot.conf to reflect this change.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BloodShed wrote:
derverstand wrote:
Why not ext3 as/ ?

Mainly because the speed and limitations are better for ReiserFS.

ReiserFS isn't that much quicker than EXT3 + dir_index, and is a lot less stable. I'd stick to EXT3. ;-)

(I could make loads of jokes about ReiserFS and murderous performance... but I'll refrain for now)

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: