Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
& [SUGGESTION] Rename "Hardware" to ...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to have the "Hardware" section renamed to "Gentoo on x86" and moved into the Architectures section of this forum?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
No
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Author Message
jay
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: & [SUGGESTION] Rename "Hardware" to ... Reply with quote

I think for a better organisation of this forum, all hardware stuff should be related to an architecture. Then it would be possible to ask kernel compiling questions in that section too. (would eliminate the need for another topic, like the suggestion in this thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5851)
_________________
Do you want your posessions identified? [ynq] (n)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
klieber
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 17 Apr 2002
Posts: 3657
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that cause some confusion among folks? "Gentoo on x86" is a pretty broad topic and I can see a lot of overlap with ATG.

To me, things in the Architecture section are for alternate platforms. Fact is, 90% of us (if not more) run Gentoo on x86 hardware, so the Architecture section is designed more to take the other 10% of the folks.

I do think that we need to re-org the forums a bit, but I'm not sure that an x86 forum is the right answer. However, I'll be interested to hear what other folks think.

--kurt
_________________
The problem with political jokes is that they get elected
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oyarsa
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 73
Location: Mars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Hardware as x86. I see it as sound cards, modems,
graphic cards, printers, scanners, etc...

I think changing it to x86 would be changing it's topic and only
lead to confusion as well as mistaken posts to other forums.
_________________
Dew knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl ewer miss steaks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyarsa wrote:
I don't see Hardware as x86. I see it as sound cards, modems,
graphic cards, printers, scanners, etc...

I think changing it to x86 would be changing it's topic and only
lead to confusion as well as mistaken posts to other forums.
Thats how I see it.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum