Gentoo on Cowon Q5 (AMD Alchemy Au1200)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
passive
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on Cowon Q5 (AMD Alchemy Au1200) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Cowon has recently demo-ed their Q5 PMP, which seems to have just about everything you could want in a PDA-style device. With the right software, it could be every bit as capable as the iPhone, but less expensive, with a better screen, and without tying you down to ATT. Plus, it should be available pretty much worldwide in March, though Cowon has had launch issues in the past.

There's an image with the basic information here:
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpost.php?p=108164&postcount=17

I'm wondering about the possibility of getting Gentoo on this device. I don't know anything about the architecture that's not mentioned in the image.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an Alchemy, then no, we don't support it, and aren't likely to. Most of those things have too little RAM and storage to be useful running Gentoo.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
roarinelk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhatter wrote:
If it's an Alchemy, then no, we don't support it, and aren't likely to. Most of those things have too little RAM and storage to be useful running Gentoo.

The flyer says 30GB hdd which should not be a problem. However what he needs is information on how
the various chipselects and ddr controller have to be configured in order to get
AMD/RMIs bootloader working. Linux runs quite fine with 64MB ram on those things; Xfce is quite
snappy with 1366x768 fbdev.
passive
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhatter wrote:

Well, storage seems like it will be ok. As far as RAM goes, we will just have to wait and see exactly what they give it, but it does run Windows CE, so it should be at least 64 MB. Maybe I'll ask this question again when I have more information.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, RAM and storage aren't the biggest problem.

The biggest problem, is that we at minimum support MIPS3, which includes instructions not implemented by MIPS32 (used in Alchemy). So you'll get an illegal instruction message the moment you fire up the chroot.

There's also an issue of kernel patches -- no doubt it'll be a proprietary device with some patches withheld, stopping you from rolling your own kernel easily. We don't support Linux 2.4 any more for instance -- so if your device runs this, you'd need to port the patches to Linux 2.6 first.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: