svn checkout works manually but not via emerge [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roycrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: svn checkout works manually but not via emerge [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I am trying to emerge the masked beryl ebuild from xeffects overlay. I have modified my squid proxy to allow svn traffic by adding
Code:
extension_methods PROPFIND REPORT MERGE MKACTIVITY CHECKOUT

to squid.conf.

I added the proxy to ~/.subversion/servers

I checked out the overlay and that came down fine with this

Code:
svn co http://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org/xeffects/trunk /usr/local/overlays/xeffects

I am now trying to emerge beryl and I get this error -
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] x11-wm/beryl-core-9999  0 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] x11-wm/heliodor-9999  0 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] x11-plugins/beryl-plugins-9999  USE="dbus vidcap" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] dev-lang/yasm-0.4.0  USE="nls" 1,090 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/seom-1.0.118  20 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] x11-plugins/beryl-vidcap-9999  0 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] x11-plugins/beryl-dbus-9999  0 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] x11-misc/beryl-settings-bindings-9999  0 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] x11-misc/beryl-settings-9999  0 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] x11-apps/xlsclients-1.0.1  USE="-debug" 73 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-apps/xvinfo-1.0.1  USE="-debug" 73 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-misc/beryl-manager-9999  0 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] x11-wm/beryl-9999  USE="gnome -kde" 0 kB [1]

Total size of downloads: 1,257 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/local/overlays/xeffects
 [2] /usr/local/overlays/xgl
 [3] /usr/local/overlays/beryl

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] yes

>>> Emerging (1 of 13) x11-wm/beryl-core-9999 to /
 * beryl-mesa-0.1.4.tar.bz2 MD5 ;-) ...                                   [ ok ]
 * beryl-mesa-0.1.4.tar.bz2 RMD160 ;-) ...                                [ ok ]
 * beryl-mesa-0.1.4.tar.bz2 SHA1 ;-) ...                                  [ ok ]
 * beryl-mesa-0.1.4.tar.bz2 SHA256 ;-) ...                                [ ok ]
 * beryl-mesa-0.1.4.tar.bz2 size ;-) ...                                  [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                      [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                    [ ok ]
 * checking beryl-mesa-0.1.4.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                              [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
 * subversion check out start -->
 *      repository: http://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org/beryl/trunk/beryl-core
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/beryl/trunk/beryl-core'
svn: PROPFIND of '/beryl/trunk/beryl-core': could not connect to server (http://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org)

!!! ERROR: x11-wm/beryl-core-9999 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1546:   Called dyn_unpack
  ebuild.sh, line 708:   Called src_unpack
  beryl-core-9999.ebuild, line 36:   Called subversion_src_unpack
  subversion.eclass, line 274:   Called subversion_fetch
  subversion.eclass, line 181:   Called die

!!! subversion.eclass: can't fetch from http://svn.gentoo-xeffects.org/beryl/trunk/beryl-core.
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

!!! This ebuild is from an overlay: '/usr/local/overlays/xeffects'

It is like when I run svn from the command line, it uses the proxy, but when it is called through emerge, it doesn't.

How can I tell emerge to use the proxy from subversion?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

edit: found this thread - exactly the same problem but no solution https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-514193-highlight-aquamarine.html

Last edited by roycrom on Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
roycrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

I have figured this out!!

When emerge tries to download via svn it creates directory /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src

Within that directory is a .subversion directory containing all the configuration including your proxy host. These files are read when emerging instead of ~/.subversion/*

Emerge is now continuing...
moodboom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Worked for me! Reply with quote

Thank you 1000x's! My head hurts a lot less now. :>
roycrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you found the post useful and thanks for the feedback :D
wildhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran into the same problem. Thanks for the hint!

Too bad that svn cannot utilize the environment variable http_proxy.
But it is even worse that it creates /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src. For temporary files it should use /var and configuration files should be in /etc.
What a mess. :roll:
wildhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HTTP proxy server does not support PROPFIND. So this damn f***ing svn checkout does not work for me. :evil:
roycrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What proxy server are you using?
wildhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> What proxy server are you using?

WASD
wfdawson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
Just ran into the same problem. Thanks for the hint!

Too bad that svn cannot utilize the environment variable http_proxy.
But it is even worse that it creates /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src. For temporary files it should use /var and configuration files should be in /etc.
What a mess. :roll:

Ditto... on each account.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it possible to overwrite that by some environment variable?
I'm sure this is a bug because I don't see a way to emerge via svn proxy without touching .subversion/servers in that directory. If so there must be a way to set the svn proxy at least in make.conf.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out, there is no need to use .subversion/servers or /root/.subversion/servers. For global setting /etc/subversion/servers works.
But I would like to see dev-vcs/subversion installing some default config.

Anyway this works when doing svn co as any user, but emerging www-client/chromium-9999-r1 for instance, portage creates its own .subversion folder in /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src overwriting the global proxy configuration. I need to replace that manually...
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I get some clarification on the fix for this problem? This topic is marked "RESOLVED", but I must not be understanding the fix.

Specifically, I'm trying to emerge app-misc/tmux and have the same problem the initial posting to this thread had: emerge fails because it does not detect my proxy settings, whereas manually I can perform a checkout:
Code:
src # svn co  http://tmux.svn.sf.net/svnroot/tmux/trunk testTmux
A    testTmux/cmd-confirm-before.c

Reading the above comments, I created a directory /etc/subversion and I copied my /root/.subversion/servers file to /etc/subversion. My servers file has the requisite proxy settings activated. That did not change anything, the emerge still fails to detect the proxy settings. Is the fix something I can do in the environment, or is there something that needs to be tweaked in the ebuild in which case should I log a bug against app-misc/tmux?

Is this a case of the ebuild not conforming to best practices, or my enviornment being out of whack? sys-apps/portage is:
Quote:
Installed versions: 2.1.11.9(10:25:55 08/15/12)(ipc -build -doc -epydoc -linguas_pl -pypy1_9 -python2 -python3 -selinux -xattr)
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you create something like...
Code:
$ grep -v "^#" /etc/subversion/servers
[groups]

[global]
http-proxy-exceptions = intranet,localhost,local,192.168.0.0/16,127.0.0.1
http-proxy-host = myproxy
http-proxy-port = 8080

? But I'm not sure if portage now considers this setting. What worked for me as I said here
Massimo B. wrote:
portage creates its own .subversion folder in /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src overwriting the global proxy configuration. I need to replace that manually...
was to modify the local svn-src settings when stepping through the ebuild process (man ebuild).
jlpoole
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massimo B. wrote:
Did you create something like...
Code:
$ grep -v "^#" /etc/subversion/servers
[groups]

[global]
http-proxy-exceptions = intranet,localhost,local,192.168.0.0/16,127.0.0.1
http-proxy-host = myproxy
http-proxy-port = 8080

? But I'm not sure if portage now considers this setting. What worked for me as I said here
Massimo B. wrote:
portage creates its own .subversion folder in /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src overwriting the global proxy configuration. I need to replace that manually...
was to modify the local svn-src settings when stepping through the ebuild process (man ebuild).

Yup... I have, except for the "http-proxy-exception", the activated lines in the /etc/subversion/servers file.

I'm not familiar with "stepping" through an ebuild and consulted the man page for ebuild. I'm not seeing anything related to the word "step" or "stepping".

Nonetheless, what I determined is that there exists a folder /usr/protage/distfiles/svn-src and thereunder is a .subversion folder with its own file "servers". This version of "servers" did not have any proxy settings.

Solution: What I did is copy my /etc/subversion/servers that does have the correct proxy settings to /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src/.subversion. Thereafter, when I emerged tmux [999], portage successfully negotiated a connection through the proxy to pull the high watermark of tmux and tmux was successfully installed.

Seems to me what that I had to do to set the portage subversion settings, /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src/.subversion/servers, ought to be handled automatically by portage so that there is a single source of truth, to wit: /etc/subversion/servers. What would be the justification for having two separate subversion settings on a particular machine?
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlpoole wrote:
Solution: What I did is copy my /etc/subversion/servers that does have the correct proxy settings to /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src/.subversion. Thereafter, when I emerged tmux [999], portage successfully negotiated a connection through the proxy to pull the high watermark of tmux and tmux was successfully installed.

What emerge does is doing every single step described in man ebuild. Some Gentoo lessons:
You can perform the steps like this:
Code:

$ equery which app-misc/tmux
/usr/portage/app-misc/tmux/tmux-1.5.ebuild

# Ok, you want the **9999 version but the process is the same:

$ ebuild /usr/portage/app-misc/tmux/tmux-1.5.ebuild setup
$ ebuild /usr/portage/app-misc/tmux/tmux-1.5.ebuild clean
$ ebuild /usr/portage/app-misc/tmux/tmux-1.5.ebuild fetch

# and so on with "manifest unpack prepare configure compile ...."

Somewhere between unpack and prepare you could modify the svn-src settings, but it seems they are not overwritten and you got your solution between 2 emerge runs...
jlpoole wrote:
Seems to me what that I had to do to set the portage subversion settings, /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src/.subversion/servers, ought to be handled automatically by portage so that there is a single source of truth, to wit: /etc/subversion/servers. What would be the justification for having two separate subversion settings on a particular machine?

This is exactly the problem I'm pointing to, that portage doesn't care about system global svn settings. And if not there is not even a way to set some new variables in make.conf like lets say "PORTAGE_SVN_HTTP_PROXY_HOST" or something like that...
arslanekhan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Disable the network-sandbox in the FEATURE list Reply with quote

I also had exactly the same problem and i fixed that by disabling the network-sandbox in make.conf file. I am using portage-3.0.21 version.

FEATURES="$FEATURES -network-sandbox"
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read the history on this thread, you didn't have the same problem, and your fix is incorrect. All the posts from 8+ years ago involved Subversion failing to respect the administrator's chosen proxy, and being unable to get out without respecting that proxy.

Your problem is that the network-sandbox is specifically intended to prevent applications from using the Internet during the build, and you were trying to violate that prevention. Live ebuilds have an exemption applied automatically for the early phase. I suggest you reactivate the network-sandbox and post a new thread describing your problem.

Also, it's quite likely that the network-sandbox was not even applicable back when this thread was previously active. I don't see in the Portage release notes when network-sandbox was first added, but I see an extension around it in February 2015 (v2.2.16). I think that extension was added pretty close to the time the original feature was added, so I doubt a post in 2012 had access to the sandbox.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: