Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Forum ..... Kernel compile and device modules.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: New Forum ..... Kernel compile and device modules. Reply with quote

I cannot open a vote poll here (assume this is the reserve of the elite) :) ...

Was wondering what users views were on a Forum dedicated to kernel compiling and device module support?

During my vists to the forums over the last six months one cannot help feeling a sense of desperation with Gentooer's wrt kernel compilations , source tree and device module support.

Given that module drivers may be required to support a number of situations covering areas across all the forums , is it feasible to create a dedicated formum I wonder.

For example , display modules such as nvidia-kernel are required for X (Desktop Environments forum) , or perhaps printer/USB modules (Installing Gentoo forum) or maybe modules for Wine,Win4LIn or VMware (Other Things Gentoo forum??)

Clearly there is a diverse and rich problem domain spanning a majority of forums. Perhaps a more focused approach would be advantageous to us all.

What is your view?? How to site admins feel about this??

TIA

...and that's when they said they were wrong!!
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More kernel discussions are always fun. I would like to point out that many of the kernel woes I see here are a result of people using Gentoo or 2.5.x kernels. Everyone involved needs to understand that these kernels should be considered unstable.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neilhwatson wrote:
More kernel discussions are always fun. I would like to point out that many of the kernel woes I see here are a result of people using Gentoo or 2.5.x kernels. Everyone involved needs to understand that these kernels should be considered unstable.

Erm , hang-on , current gentoo kernel is 2.4.20-r5 which is stable ( 2.4 series ). Agreed , 2.5 is unstable but works for many people.

My view is that there are soo soo soo many configurations and captures that it is difficult to target one specific cause , in reality I believe all individual posts are either:

(a) Common/known issue (in which case a damm search would have been useful prior to posting)

(b) A new issue relating to a specific collection of hardware/software components. (in which case future searches should pick these up).

(c) User error :!:

There seem to be many , many dups that the Mods & Admins have to deal with , this would particularly piss me off :wink: if I was one of these guys.

neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Gentoo kernels are 2.4.x based but, they are heavly patched. You are risking stability as soon as you begin adding code the kernel that was not included by the kernel group.
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGREED my friend.

My apologies. :wink:

Brown Eyed Boy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Forum ..... Kernel compile and device modules. Reply with quote

keratos68 wrote:
Was wondering what users views were on a Forum dedicated to kernel compiling and device module support?

I think there are a sufficient number of kernel-related posts for it to have its own forum.

~Brown Eyed Boy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: