Step by (small) step installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric.cheminot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Step by (small) step installation Reply with quote

Hello,

I think that I need help for installation. First, I have read lot of posts, have made searches, but I must admit that I do not even know what exactly to search...

I am trying to install Gentoo with SpeedTouch/USB/PPPOA. This is not actually the point here since I'm far away from modem pbs at this moment. I have made a stage-3 install. If I understand well, I need to download packages from another computer, copy then to /usr/portage/distfiles and emerge them. First I boot in Gentoo I made
emerge --pretend metalog
emerge --pretend vcron
emerge --pretend ppp
to know what packages to download.

1) vcron needs mailbase, but I cannot find it under http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/. Where am I wrong?

2) I have downloaded ppp-2.4.1 but when trying to emerge it, emerge complains about not finding ppp-2.4.1-pppoe... even though this package is not listed in the dependencies. Again what I have missed (I do not need pppoe since I will build pppoa support later)?

Thanks a lot - at least for having read this long post

PS please excuse my bad english.
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if your computer is not connected to the internet, to find out where you need to get the package from, the easiest way is to simply do an 'emerge -f package_name' - it will give you an error, but will also give you an URL. Another way is to look at the ebuild file itself - 'less /usr/portage/category/package/package-version.ebuild' - the URL is one of the early fields. Mailbase really isn't a package - if you look at the ebuild, it's just making directories.

Can't help you with ppp, sorry.

Good luck!

By the way, I always find this interesting: those who profess that English is not their first langauge and apologize for it generally have better syntax than us native speakers. Hmm...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by (small) step installation Reply with quote

eric.cheminot wrote:
1) vcron needs mailbase, but I cannot find it under http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/. Where am I wrong?

mailbase is simply a script that creates directories like /etc/mail, /var/mail, etc. It doesn't require any source files that I'm aware of. (SRC_URI is blank in the mailbase ebuild.) You should be able to emerge mailbase without having any additional files prepared for it.

--kurt
eric.cheminot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I should have tried even though 'mailbase' was listed in the dependencies... Now it's OK. I can now try to install PPPOA and all modem stuff.

-ec
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: