Kernel Panic With Two NICS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Kernel Panic With Two NICS Reply with quote

OK, I am sure you have all heard wierder stories but this one is a mind f'r for me.

Spoke with HP about it and i think i got my answer.. but i want to ask the real experts =)

Basically the system boots fine.. however if BOTH nics are plugged in then it kernel panics.. if ONE is plugged in then it
comes online but i have to PHYSCIALLY remove the cable form one nic and put it into the other in order get online.

HP-9000 D380 Dual Risc

4. UL 350 Core LAN (802.3) at 0xffd07000 [8/16/6] { 10, 0x0, 0x02f, 0x0008a }

eth0: GSC DS21140 Tulip rev 34 at Port 0x10000, 00:10:83:F5:79:7F, IRQ 23.
eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of 45e1.

now after speaking with hp they tell me that the 10mb MUST be plugged in to boot.. and the 10/100 card will be activated afterwards.

However i am only seeing eth0.

now i was also told i need to configure the port to half duplex but at the moment i only have a unmanaged switch. I order one that i can
manage.

Thanks in advance guys.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on Alternative Architectures.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using modules? Specifically, have you tried loading only the module for the interface which is actually used? Or not building the module for the unused interface at all? Or building in the module for the used interface and leaving the unused interface as an unloaded module for failover purposes?
techn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Have you tried using modules? Specifically, have you tried loading only the module for the interface which is actually used? Or not building the module for the unused interface at all? Or building in the module for the used interface and leaving the unused interface as an unloaded module for failover purposes?

Tried all of the above.

I am almost certain this is a HalfDuplex issue because my switch is not managed.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried forcing the used interface to half duplex during the boot process, then restarting it full duplex after the system has booted?
techn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Have you tried forcing the used interface to half duplex during the boot process, then restarting it full duplex after the system has booted?

hmm how can I force it to half?

I ordered a managed switch. SO hopefully it will resolve my issue.

But it would be good to know how to do this manually
techn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:

Well I got the managed siwtch in and changed the port to half duplex and I still get the same problem.

I basically have toboot with it plugged into the 10MB ONboard LAN then once the os is up I have to switch the wire into the 100MB Intel card & then I have a network.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techn wrote:
Well I got the managed siwtch in and changed the port to half duplex and I still get the same problem.
I meant the interface not the switch, but then the manner in which I was thinking of doing that seems to be unavailable.

Does mii-config work with the interface which is used? If so, then perhaps rate limiting the card at boot (via restricting what media types are advertised), then removing that limit would work.
techn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
techn wrote:
I meant the interface not the switch, but then the manner in which I was thinking of doing that seems to be unavailable.

Does mii-config work with the interface which is used? If so, then perhaps rate limiting the card at boot (via restricting what media types are advertised), then removing that limit would work.

Tried this and it crashed the machine.

Spoke with HP and they told me i HAVE to have that iface active on boot... do not understand why.. but thats what they said.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more try, can the unused interface be disabled in the system setup, before the OS loads?
techn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
One more try, can the unused interface be disabled in the system setup, before the OS loads?

that's an excellent question. One I have been trying to find out for two weeks. No one has an answer for me. Not even HP heh
gmsoft
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To force 100mbit half duplex you can use "mii-tool -D 100baseTX-HD" or whatever mode you want. See mii-tool --help for a short list. However, I don't think it'll fix your issue.

Could you post the full dmesg with the panic message and the kernel config somewhere ?
It should not crash.

Also, you can join #gentoo-hppa on irc.freenode.net. We can try to help you out.
techn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmsoft wrote:
To force 100mbit half duplex you can use "mii-tool -D 100baseTX-HD" or whatever mode you want. See mii-tool --help for a short list. However, I don't think it'll fix your issue.

Could you post the full dmesg with the panic message and the kernel config somewhere ?
It should not crash.

Also, you can join #gentoo-hppa on irc.freenode.net. We can try to help you out.

Well thats the messed up thing about it... The system just locks then I get FLT Messages that rotate on the display on the actual HP box and on the concsole port . but nothing more then that. They move rather quickly but from what i saw it was like

FLT2058
FLT2048
FLT4310

etc etc
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: