View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emopig
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: DBus 1.0.1 has been ~amd64'd Reply with quote

I had to emerge dbus-glib manually for some reason, it looks like none of the dbus
apps have added it as a dependency yet.

Also lots of revdep-rebuild breakage, 54 packages for me. Just a warning to those
who run into it.

I will reply when everything has finished emerging, i'm feeling in the mood
for breakage anyway.
Captain_Loser
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I use ~amd64 build and with the new dbus I had 46 breakages that revdep-rebuild fixed. I had to pretty much rebuild all of gnome.
slithy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as KDE goes, only kdebase-kioslaves needed to be rebuilt.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DBus 1.0.1 has been ~amd64'd Reply with quote

Emopig wrote:
I had to emerge dbus-glib manually for some reason, it looks like none of the dbus
apps have added it as a dependency yet.

Also lots of revdep-rebuild breakage, 54 packages for me. Just a warning to those
who run into it.

I will reply when everything has finished emerging, i'm feeling in the mood
for breakage anyway.

I also installed

Code:

[D] dev-libs/dbus-glib
     Available versions:  [M](~)0.72
     Installed versions:  0.72(20:29:02 05/12/06)(-debug -doc -selinux)
     Homepage:            http://dbus.freedesktop.org/
     Description:         D-Bus bindings for glib

[D] dev-libs/dbus-qt3-old
     Available versions:  [M](~)0.70
     Installed versions:  0.70(20:32:51 05/12/06)
     Homepage:            http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fdbus
     Description:         D-BUS Qt3 bindings compatible with old application API and new dbus

* dev-python/dbus-python
     Available versions:  [M](~)0.71
     Homepage:            http://dbus.freedesktop.org/
     Description:         Python bindings for the D-Bus messagebus.

since those use flags were removed from the ebuild (previously using 0.6 which had qt3, python and many more use flags). Revdep'ing now

Code:

emerge --oneshot  =sys-apps/hal-0.5.7.1-r2 =sys-apps/pmount-0.9.13 =media-libs/libgphoto2-2.2.1-r1 =net-print/cups-1.2.7 =kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.5-r1 =media-gfx/inkscape-0.44.1 =gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.16.3 =gnome-base/libgnome-2.16.0 =gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.16.0 =gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.16.1 =gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.4-r5 =x11-plugins/beryl-dbus-9999 =app-cdr/k3b-0.12.17
VValdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fixes. Wish I knew I needed those packages before I started all this... Kept going back and forth from the new dbus to the old... (running amd64, not ~amd64) and my system was confused.

W
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD64'D!
float-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to revdep-rebuild almost all gnome-packages as well, this must be a joke, there must be a better way to upgrade dbus.
edit: Do not blame it on the devs. :p

Last edited by float- on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

float- wrote:
I had to revdep-rebuild almost all gnome-packages as well, this must be a joke, there must be a better way to upgrade dbus.
Blame it on the devs.

if you blame against the GNOME-devs and dbus dev's then sure

the problem is dbus API got changed (and quite alot of apps link quite hard to a certain version). As a result when it changes everything dep on it needs rebuilding - the same happens if you have the directfb USE flag, any time directFB package gets changed it breaks all that depend on it (requiring a revdep)

so please don't blame Gentoo-devs there really isn't much they can do to make this less painful (luckly this only happens here and there)
I to have to rebuild alot of my system (GNOME pretty much everything) but I also have OpenOffice to re-compile
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

float- wrote:
Blame it on the devs.

I can't believe how people complain if an app linked agains dbus-0.6 needs to be relinked if you install dbus-1.x... It is a major release, and there has been an ABI change. It is like complaining because you will need qt4 to run kde-4 (yes, you need qt4, qt3 will not do :twisted: ). Jokes appart, that is why revdep-rebuild does exist, otherwise it would not have a reason to exist. :P
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
float- wrote:
Blame it on the devs.

I can't believe how people complain if an app linked agains dbus-0.6 needs to be relinked if you install dbus-1.x... It is a major release, and there has been an ABI change. It is like complaining because you will need qt4 to run kde-4 (yes, you need qt4, qt3 will not do :twisted: ). Jokes appart, that is why revdep-rebuild does exist, otherwise it would not have a reason to exist. :P

The good news is that the dbus devs have stated that as of the 1.0 release the ABI will not change (apart from added extensions) so you should never have to recompile an app after a dbus upgrade again.
slithy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but how to do binary distros handle situations where a linking library changes? Do they release rebuilt binaries as an "upgrade?"
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, yes they do. Most just wait until they'd normally have a release cycle (approx. 6 months for something like Ubuntu) and then update everything to it's latest version then, recompiling almost everything.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slithy wrote:
Just curious, but how to do binary distros handle situations where a linking library changes? Do they release rebuilt binaries as an "upgrade?"

Binary distros only use to do small updates between major releases (those that comes with a new cd and new version number).

So, you just need to do small updates to this content that you installed with the cd media, and they usually does not break. That is true only if you use official repositories, if you use fancy stuff you have to maintain it yourself. And I can tell by experience that doing so in fedora or mandrake, or even debian, is quite more painfull, because there is no such resource like this forum (well, debian at least has a couple of decent lists, but even then the support here is fantastic).

They usually do not need to do such a big upgrade, cause when those things happen they just release a new cd. But those few that do it this way, need to do such a big and massive upgrade. There is no other way to deal with ABI changes.
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well most things ore working fine after revdep-rebuild, but f-spot keeps looking for the assembly of dbus-sharp 0.62, even when I recompile it...
I noticed dbus 1.0.1 doesn't have a mono use flag, so maybe the problem lies theirein?
psk31
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please confirm whether the dbus upgrade (and assorted deps) breaks k3b (k3b-0.12.17)? I have read elsewhere that this may be the case.

Thanks-
psk31
slithy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psk31 wrote:
Can someone please confirm whether the dbus upgrade (and assorted deps) breaks k3b (k3b-0.12.17)? I have read elsewhere that this may be the case.

Thanks-
psk31

Define breaks. My k3b loads up just fine, but I didn't try any burning with it.
psk31
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaks as in it fails to emerge under revdep-rebuild.. see: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-522041-highlight-dbus.html

psk31
wafox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: I knew I had a bad feeling... Reply with quote

When I saw dbus in the list of updates.

3 packages down 42 more to go on the rebuild! :(
Cardoe
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To basically counter the incorrect info in the GWN... as the maintainer of D-Bus in Gentoo..

1) you might need to run revdep-rebuild -avx, the -x is to get the latest version rather then the current version which would update you to any packages that had rev-bumps for the new D-Bus.
2) There was no "radical" shift in the API. APIs that have been marked deprecated since 0.30 were finally removed for the release. Applications that were 100% API proper with 0.62 will work 100%. Only problem comes with applications that were not coded properly, yes HAL is one of those apps. The exception being Mono based apps where the bindings are different, however most packages that are being maintained upstream have been updated to use the new bindings. Bugs have been created in Bugzilla in all these instances, however most Gentoo maintainers have not corrected the issue.
3) No installing all the bindings is no correct. They should be pulled in by the package that requires them. If they're not, report a bug on that package. Bug #154251 was created to track these issues.

Retired Gentoo Developer
Gentopia, MythTV, D-Bus
aka.bugle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to this point I've been posting from an old win98 laptop... but finally after a few (HA :lol: ) bumps in the road.. Gentoo and Gnome are mostly working...
1st problem... because Dbus is complaining.. and a few (HA few!) other minor glitches. I need to make some changes to the kernel (I think)
Confusion here.... I see an error as the pc boots that kernel is not set for inotify. Do I have to completly recompile the kernel to set an inotify flag to on? Or is there a config file that i can just edit to make the change? When I configured the kernel ( I didn't use genkernel) I used make menuconfig, can this file be edited manually? and if it can does the kernel have to be recompiled after ?

2nd question It seems that since my gnome was only just brought in, that i should use 6thpinks emerge code to fix up alot of my Dbus problems since I never had any of these older versions installed.

Or.... there's a a one liner by Cardoe (Sir Dbus)... revdup-rebuild -avx

a little help here?
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could for starters write a bit more clearly :P

you need to enable inotify for file systems in the kernel (with menuconfig) and of course the kernel needs to be recompiled... i mean what sense would it make elsewise ???
aka.bugle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,, I'll try to be more betta' kahleh eh? :lol:
thanks... and HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Now that I've got an X up and running...
1.) can I makeconfig in a term window?
2.) as root in the window? ( I'm not logged on as root) but I'm in the wheel group and its my box
3.) can i then compile in same window?
RiverRat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardoe wrote:

To basically counter the incorrect info in the GWN... as the maintainer of D-Bus in Gentoo..
3) No installing all the bindings is no correct. They should be pulled in by the package that requires them. If they're not, report a bug on that package. Bug #154251 was created to track these issues.

I think you meant Bug #154521. That is the tracker. :-)
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem last week when the dbus update arrived. The revdep list was huge, but no matter, I left it running over night and in the morning all of Gnome and whatever else was broken was recompiled. However, Gnome is not working anymore :-)

This is just a quick question, I haven't looked into the issue at all yet, but did anybody experience the same problem? A 'startx' and the X (as in: X.org) screen comes on and then everything comes to a standstill. I have to kill the X server to get back to my terminal. When I switch to run EvilWM or Ion3 it works fine, so I assume Gnome is broken.

Any hints, or should I start poking around? ;-)

Thanks heaps...
Jens
gabmatrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with gnome just hanging while loading...

Do you know where I should check? Is there some gnome starting log?

Maybe it's dbus related? I'm running unstable and got some error with dbus at some point while upgrading my system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: