Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Automatic deletion of old packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you believe that an automated system for old package deletion would be usefull?
Yes, make it default
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
Yes, but prompt me before you do anything
18%
 18%  [ 15 ]
Yes, let me configure it in make.conf
52%
 52%  [ 43 ]
No, I prefer to do it myself
18%
 18%  [ 15 ]
I really don't know
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 82

ASID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Automatic deletion of old packages Reply with quote

I was wandering around the other day, in one of my gentoo machines, a kind of old one, with a 40G hard drive, when I typed
Code:
df -H

The result was something I was not expecting... /dev/hda3 -> use 89%! Where? When? Well... Yes, I keep my system up to date so it must be the distfiles. I checked. 5,4G for the distfiles/ directory. Around 4 of them occupied by old useless packages, some of which don't even exist!

OK the solution is the rm command. The easiest way is to delete everything in there but again, packages that I might need in the future will be also gone. I don't want to spend my bandwidth to download again Openoffice because a patch came out or because I changed a USE flag. So what?

Here is the trick. Add something like:
Code:
DELETE_OLD_PACKAGES="yes"
or
Code:
KEEP_PACKAGE_DEPTH="1"
to the make.conf file. The first one would just delete the old package once the new one is downloaded. It could also delete packages that the old one depended on, but the new doesn't.
Code:
DELETE_DEP_PACKAGES="yes"

The second one could give the depth of the old versions to keep, in case someone wants to be sure that he can return to the old stable when something goes wrong with the new one. the "1" indicates to keep the new one, plus one version older. "0" forjust the new one, "2" for new plus the last two versions and so on. This could save space and time to those that have neither...

The same can be applied to /var/tmp/portage

Of course I want to read you opinion and suggestions.

Have fun!
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*/tmp/* you can delete anyway. Nothing worth keeping in there (as long as the programs are no longer running). That's why it's called temporary files. As for cleaning distfiles folder, there already are tools for that (in gentoolkit package or some other, I don't really remember). Even without tool you could probably just delete by access time or something...
ASID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean eclean. Yes, this is a tool to manually delete those files. I'm asking for an automated procedure that could run when you build (update) a package and which could make use of eclean for the actual deletion...

Quote:
Even without tool you could probably just delete by access time or something.

As I said, rm is your friend but not your best one ;)
rasmussen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't putting eclean in a cron job suffice?
ASID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wouldn't putting eclean in a cron job suffice?

Well, stucking with eclean is not always an option. Some people haven't heard of it. Others don't know how to use it. Maybe others don't want to emerge gentoolkit or don't know how to use cron (gentoo is all about choise afterall). People with medium knowledge on gentoo will propably have to face the problem before running into eclean.

Except eclean, there are many scripts that could clean your distfiles directory. Take a look at this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-507044-highlight-eclean.html

As mv says:
Quote:
eclean is not too realiable, since it parses the SRC_URI only heuristically (e.g. conditionals like USE or LINGUAS are not taken into account which can be a big deal, for instance with acroread).
An absolutely reliable (though rather slow) way is the trickyfetch script from http://www.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vaeth/gentoo/index.html

Each script has its pros and cons...

Either way, all clean scripts do the job for the whole distfiles directory, not exactly after the upgrade. What I'm saying is that in an automated procedure, after the compilation, an einfo would give you an overview of the packages that would be deleted because of the upgrade. This would happen on the fly, just for the upgraded package and not for the whole distfiles directory.

This could be added as a standard and you wouldn't need to be an expert, or search a tone of forums to learn how to use tools you might not use again in your life.
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to ask the mods to move this thread over into the new fangled User rep discusion forum as it was created for new features and enhancements suggestions.
ASID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You may want to ask the mods to move this thread over into the new fangled User rep discusion forum as it was created for new features and enhancements suggestions.

Of course!
Thanks rokstar83.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Gentoo User Representatives.
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see some more auto-cleaning/cleaning options built into emerge. Aside from the distfiles i've noticed my /var/tmp/portage/ directory getting full when a emerge fails. The problem is I eventually get the issue resolved and it doesn't remove the dir. If you've ever had open office fail on you during a build, it leaves one huge mess. Granted this opinion comes with my limited knowledge of how this all works and in no regard considers how feasible it is.
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need something like apt-get autoremove in portage. It basically removes package with all its dependecies unless they are used by other package. It helps to keep our systems clean.
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad of an idea, but I'd hate to see it be done by default.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd like to see it done but not in make.conf because some files that can be deleted would be best left for varying amount of times. For instance, when testing distfiles are useful for up to 3 months (that is a bit of an exaggeration and would mean that you'd have a very slow dev like omp ;) ) but /tmp stuff is useless within about 6 hours. Logs would be another one, certain logs should be kept for longer.

All in all i think logging should be in rc.conf or similar
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
i'd like to see it done but not in make.conf because some files that can be deleted would be best left for varying amount of times. For instance, when testing distfiles are useful for up to 3 months (that is a bit of an exaggeration and would mean that you'd have a very slow dev like omp ;) ) but /tmp stuff is useless within about 6 hours. Logs would be another one, certain logs should be kept for longer.

All in all i think logging should be in rc.conf or similar

I agree about the logging stuff, but don't see how it applies to make.conf wrt old distfile deletion. That sounds like something I'd expect to configure in make.conf. In either case, we still need to address the issue of varying times; I thought the depth level was a good sol'n.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boniek wrote:
We need something like apt-get autoremove in portage. It basically removes package with all its dependecies unless they are used by other package. It helps to keep our systems clean.

emerge -C package && emerge --depclean
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic deletion of old packages Reply with quote

ASID wrote:
I was wandering around the other day, in one of my gentoo machines, a kind of old one, with a 40G hard drive, when I typed
Code:
df -H

The result was something I was not expecting... /dev/hda3 -> use 89%! Where? When? Well... Yes, I keep my system up to date so it must be the distfiles. I checked. 5,4G for the distfiles/ directory. Around 4 of them occupied by old useless packages, some of which don't even exist!

OK the solution is the rm command. The easiest way is to delete everything in there but again, packages that I might need in the future will be also gone. I don't want to spend my bandwidth to download again Openoffice because a patch came out or because I changed a USE flag. So what?

Here is the trick. Add something like:
Code:
DELETE_OLD_PACKAGES="yes"
or
Code:
KEEP_PACKAGE_DEPTH="1"
to the make.conf file. The first one would just delete the old package once the new one is downloaded. It could also delete packages that the old one depended on, but the new doesn't.
Code:
DELETE_DEP_PACKAGES="yes"

The second one could give the depth of the old versions to keep, in case someone wants to be sure that he can return to the old stable when something goes wrong with the new one. the "1" indicates to keep the new one, plus one version older. "0" forjust the new one, "2" for new plus the last two versions and so on. This could save space and time to those that have neither...

The same can be applied to /var/tmp/portage

Of course I want to read you opinion and suggestions.

Have fun!

add eclean to the EBUILD_POST phase of your /etc/portage/bashrc if you want it run after _every_ emerge or a script that calls eclean dist to your /etc/portage/postsync.d directory if you want it run after every sync (a bit less time consuming)

Your later claim that that reduces the discoverability is silly, because all of your ideas would have old discoverability. Your deleting dependcies idea would require portage to fully support reverse deps, which it doesn't currently. depclean does a fairly good job at it however.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic deletion of old packages Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
add eclean to the EBUILD_POST phase of your /etc/portage/bashrc if you want it run after _every_ emerge or a script that calls eclean dist to your /etc/portage/postsync.d directory if you want it run after every sync (a bit less time consuming)

Your later claim that that reduces the discoverability is silly, because all of your ideas would have old discoverability. Your deleting dependcies idea would require portage to fully support reverse deps, which it doesn't currently. depclean does a fairly good job at it however.

So for those of us who don't know eclean, can you tell us what commands you'd use? Which pkg is depclean in? (RTFM I know, but we need it documented and you know the answer ;))
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
boniek wrote:

emerge -C package && emerge --depclean

No. It doesn't work the same way I described. Check paludis and it's --with-unused-dependencies option to see what I meant (and this topic).
ASID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic deletion of old packages Reply with quote

Quote:
Your later claim that that reduces the discoverability is silly, because all of your ideas would have old discoverability.

I'm sorry, did I miss something? Where do I claim the above? :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: