kernel config
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: kernel config Reply with quote

I'm building gentoo-source2.4.19-r7 but I don't know *everything that should be in the kernel. I use Mandrake's .config from their latest kernel, but that seems bloated and not everything even compiles right. Would someone send me ther kernel config. Things i need in it are:

Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card
via chipset
ide cd-burner (need scsi-emulation)
ide dvd-support
tulip and 8139 nic cards
routing support (or whatever the kernel needs for my comptuer to be a router)
per-empt
framebuffer

Thanks
Mark
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel compiling is a basic skill that any Gentoo user should have. It's not a huge learning curve, but it requires the dicipline to sit down and poke through all the menus for a while, possibly making a kernel or two before getting it right.

Remember to keep a working kernel avalible at all times (calling it bzImage.working and giving it another GRUB/LILO entry is a good way to do this). Not being able to boot and having to use the install CD is a pain.

I assume you don't have X working - use 'make menuconfig' rather than 'make config' - much nicer :)

Here are some suggestions:

Make sure you enable '/dev fs support' - you'll need to enable the development/incomplete code under the code maturity options.

For your soundblaster: do you want sound compiled in the kernel or via ALSA? Alsa is pretty nice - check through the forums and possibly google to determine what is best for you. You'll need to know what chipset it uses - a quick google search can determine this. Try searching for "sound blaster live 5.1 linux" and you'll probably get a hit in the top ten - my guess is emu10k1.

For your CD-Burner: check through the forums for more exacting instructions if you need them. You'll need SCSI cd-rom, SCSI emulation, IDE CD-ROM, and you'll also need to pass hdX=ide-scsi through your kernel parameters.

You network cards are under Network Device support.

Preempt is avalible under processor type/features.

There was a recent forum post (in the Newbies, I think) about framebuffer. You'll need to select frambuffer, a driver appropriate for your card, and pass a vga=${whatever option} through your kernel.

Good luck! Go fish!
trythil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the SB Live! card, I recommend you get the ALSA drivers @

http://www.alsa-project.org

If you play DVDs or do a lot of multimedia stuff, you will want the ALSA drivers. For one, they do 4-channel sound output, and the OSS drivers that come with the kernel...just suck :)

The VIA chipset -- what chipset?
On a slightly related note -- are you looking to enable stuff like Ultra DMA? If so, you need to know what UDMA chipset you have.

IDE CD-burners and SCSI emulation -- both are available. Check in "ATA/IDE ... Support" and "SCSI Support", respectively.

An IDE DVD is seen as a CD drive to the kernel; the only really major difference is filesystem support. CDs use FS module "iso9660" where DVDs can use that or the UDF filesystem. Since you don't know ahead of time which filesystem a DVD uses (usually it's UDF, but...), enable UDF FS support under Filesystems.

Routing support -- look in Networking options.
grakker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't be too surprised if "one or two" recompiles actually turns into a lot more. I remember when I first started on a PPC it took me MANY tries to get a working kernel. Of course this was back 1.1.something....
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grakker wrote:
And don't be too surprised if "one or two" recompiles actually turns into a lot more. I remember when I first started on a PPC it took me MANY tries to get a working kernel. Of course this was back 1.1.something....

Don't scare the poor guy! Most kernels you compile will work, but just need a little fine-tuning.

One thing I should have thought of when you said you were using the Mandrake .config: instead of basing your config off of their's (which is 2.4.18), try doing a 'make mrproper' before selecting your options. 'make mrproper' cleans anything compiled up and gives you a default kernel .config - your kernel will be a lot less bloated this way. Try not to take any options out of this kernel - you'll probably need them.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec wrote:
'make mrproper' cleans anything compiled up and gives you a default kernel .config - your kernel will be a lot less bloated this way. Try not to take any options out of this kernel - you'll probably need them.

Well, no; you may not need eepro100 suppport compiled in. If you're using gentoo-sources, you probably don't need XFS built in. And so on. If you know what something is and you don't think you need it, check the help, and if you're still confident go ahead and "just say N".
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've compiled the linux kernel plenty of times before. My problem is i always seem to miss and option, something small. Like when i built my own kernel, on powerdown my computer wouldn't turn off, but if i used mandrake's config, then my computer would turn off on power down. Just small stuff like that. I don't want to use mandrake's config as it's for a different kernel and bloated. Just figured someone here would have a similar setup to me and could give me a config that would have almost everything i would need, and i could go back and decided to include my sound card or make it a module.
BTW, do you recommend using modules for stuff like network cards or build them in. Which is better for overall performance ?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have measured minute performance gains with compiled-in network drivers over putting them in modules, but for desktop use you're probably not going to notice any difference. It's mainly a matter of convenience; you know, not having to remember to put the module in modules.autoload, and if you go back to an earlier bzImage you will still have network even if the corresponding /lib directory has been deleted.
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the power down: look for APM

If you're going to use ALSA, don't compile your specific sound card, just compile sound support into your kernel.

Like delta, I've heard of minute performance gains by including rather than using modules. It's a convenience thing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: