stupid stupid win2k...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: stupid stupid win2k... Reply with quote

Well, I've been running gentoo on my 2nd box for a while now, and decided to try dual booting on my main box. I had an extra HD sitting in my comp, so I just deleted all the stuff on it, removed all the partitions etc., and installed gentoo on it. (a good cpu and lots of ram makes all the difference in the world when installing gentoo... it cut down my full-install time (ie kde and gnome and mozilla etc. etc.) by, oh, 2 days) Grub complained about corrupt partition tables being corrupt, (Windows is installed on a RAID drive and I haven't set it up yet) but lilo was happy, so I use lilo to boot. (from a floppy until I set up a more permanent solution) All's well and good.

Then I boot back into Win2k.

Apparently, Win2k doesn't like not being the Big Man on the Block and complains about screwed up partitions, and tells me it will run scandisk (and, I'm assuming, fixing any "errors" it comes across, like, say, it can't read ext3 partitions) unless I interrupt it. Ok, fine, continue without scanning. Then, right before it asks for username and password, it hangs for 30 seconds or so, then I hear a "click" sound like my hard-disk's spinning down, and then it finally continues to the log-in screen.

Normally, I wouldn't care, but it's windows and I have to reboot every 20 minutes. :x

Anyone know how to get windows to STFU about this?
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago I saw a device in a computer magazine that switched hard drives. What I mean is, that you push a button for a hard drive and then power on the system. Only that hard drive would power up. That way, no matter which HD you selected, it would be the main one, and the others would not be powered up so the system would not see them. Windows will think it's the only OS, and Linux will think it's the only one. The you can put the boot loader of your choice on each drive. No fuss in dual booting, and no lilo on a floppy. I think it can switch betwenn three HDs. This might be a possible choice for you.

cheers
Martin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution (although this will not help you, unfortunately) I found was to make the space and create the 3+ partitions within the Disk Management utility in Win2k.

This way, all the changes are done by Win2k, and it shouldn't bitch. The only drawback is that you have to find a way of formatting the partitions you are going to use to Linux and Linux Swap. I used PM, but it's not free.

As to fixing it after the damage is done, sorry I'm no help. :(
Martin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
A while ago I saw a device in a computer magazine that switched hard drives. What I mean is, that you push a button for a hard drive and then power on the system. Only that hard drive would power up. That way, no matter which HD you selected, it would be the main one, and the others would not be powered up so the system would not see them. Windows will think it's the only OS, and Linux will think it's the only one. The you can put the boot loader of your choice on each drive. No fuss in dual booting, and no lilo on a floppy. I think it can switch betwenn three HDs. This might be a possible choice for you.

Most (new) BIOS's support changing the bootable physical device if you have more than one hard drive installed. This way you can have two hard drives installed, both with separate MBR's and primary OS's. Plus there's the added advantage of being able to share data between the two drives at any time. I would look to see if your mobo supports this feature.

Good luck. :O)
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most (new) BIOS's support changing the bootable physical device if you have more than one hard drive installed. This way you can have two hard drives installed, both with separate MBR's and primary OS's. Plus there's the added advantage of being able to share data between the two drives at any time. I would look to see if your mobo supports this feature.

True. I think mine supports that, but each time you want to change boot drives, do you need to go into the bios to change it.

The device I mentioned had a thing that can out of the drive bay and all you had to do was flip a switch or bush a button. I forget.

There are advantage to both ways. I wish there was a bios tmessage that can up each time you booted so then you could select which HD you wanted. Or is that what you were talking about?
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
One solution (although this will not help you, unfortunately) I found was to make the space and create the 3+ partitions within the Disk Management utility in Win2k.

This way, all the changes are done by Win2k, and it shouldn't *beep*. The only drawback is that you have to find a way of formatting the partitions you are going to use to Linux and Linux Swap. I used PM, but it's not free.

I actually tried that first, heh.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if they're something wrong with the drive itself. It's pretty old, (5 years maybe?) may have been corrupted somehow along the way. It does everything else perfectly though, and when it was formatted with FAT32 windows had no problem with it.

Martin wrote:

Mine can do that, the trouble is, windows still complains about the linux partition being corrupt. (windows doesn't like the fact that there is a "corrupt" HD on my box, even if doesn't do anything) I can shut off the IDE controller for the HD linux is installed on easily enough, but I'd rather just have a plain old lilo prompt and not have to deal with going into the bios every time I want to run linux.
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem... Even after login Win2k completely fucks up when I try to open explorer or even the startmenu. It's hopeless and I'm not going to waste anymore time on this crap. :evil: Luckily all my data is on a big FAT32 partition so if I wanted to, I could just reinstall some Windows without loosing anything (but time and nerves).
I'm glad that Gentoo runs so well that it keeps me busy and I don't have to think about it just yet. =)
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately windows is a necessary evil. WineX is just not worth it for games... i still can't get the freakin thing to work. someone should write a gentoo winex tutorial.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pretty good tutorials at this site http://lhl.linuxgames.com. It maily helps with Half Life, but the setup is about the same for all games. Goto the message board area, and search it. I've seen some tips and tricks on there that will get your framerates close to those on windows. They will also help you get wine/winex setup right.
BTW: A lot of video game places prefer Win98 over Win2k to run the games. More games are compatible. Of course now that XP is out, almost all video games are camptible with it.

Happy gaming.

edited spelling and grammer

Last edited by StifflerStealth on Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Alfredo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in WIN2K (or NT - XP, ) go to the hard drive manager, and "do NOT assign drive letter" to yr Linux partitions - this way is knows that they are there, but doesnt bother about them...
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dual-booting Win2k on one of my Gentoo boxen, and it kindly leaves my Linux-related partitions alone. They have the right IDs (83 for /boot and /, 82 for swap) and neither the 2k installer and Windows 2000 Professional try to do anything to them.

Then again, I partitioned everything using fdisk under Linux and told the 2k installer to use the partition I had already made.
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Alfredo wrote:
in WIN2K (or NT - XP, ) go to the hard drive manager, and "do NOT assign drive letter" to yr Linux partitions - this way is knows that they are there, but doesnt bother about them...

Woot, worked perfectly. Thanks a ton.

For anyone else who wants a more exact solution....

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management -> Right click on any of your drives -> Properties -> Hardware -> Left click on your linux drive -> Properties -> General -> Disable Device.

You know, I used to think GUI's for stuff like this were a good thing, but when you have something this important buried under -> 14 <- layers of gooey goodness it really makes "vi /etc/fstab" awfully goddamn convenient.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: