Success on an Ultra10 but some problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caulfie1d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Success on an Ultra10 but some problems Reply with quote

I just installed Gentoo on my Ultra10 at work. I started from a stage 3 tarball, and it worked great. The only issue I had (which I was able to sort out on my own), was that the kernel build needed vmlinux instead of bzImage. I've seen that this is fixed in the new install documentation, but I felt it worth mentioning anyways.

I realize that I started from a Stage 3, but I attempted to:
Code:
emerge egcs-sparc64

only to find that the file it was looking for (egcs-sparc-19980921.orig.tar.gz) could not be found on any of the mirrors, including Debian's. I know I didn't need it for my particular install, but I feel it's worth mentioning.

Also, I tried to emerge Gnome 2.2 on my system using the command:
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge gnome

This of course generated a lot of packages to install. It was going fine when I left, but when I returned this morning it reported that it could not find the binutils package (binutils-2.14.90.0.2.tar.bz2) on any of the mirrors.

Anyone else have problems with these two packages?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya caulfie1d,

There is a new version of the installation guide up at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-install.xml that omits the egcs step as it's part of the system profile for sparc64 (and is automatically installed during the emerge system step of the installation). The actual package is sys-devel/egcs64-sparc.

As for bintuils-2.14.90..0.2 I just tried fetching it and the first mirror in my list (ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu) had it. Is it still a problem for you?
caulfie1d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I found an error in the ebuild:

The offending code is in:

/usr/port/sys-devel/binutils/binutils-2.14.90.0.2.ebuild:

The SRC_URI was:
Code:

SRC_URI="mirror://kernel/devel/binutils/${P}.tar.bz2
                           mirror://kernel/devel/binutils/test/${P}.tar.bz2"

After checking the kernel site myself, I modifed this to:
Code:

SRC_URI="mirror://kernel/linux/devel/binutils/${P}.tar.bz2
                           mirror://kernel/linux/devel/binutils/test/${P}.tar.bz2"

You'll notice the directory "linux" suck between kernel and devel within the SRC_URI.

An easy fix, but it should be changed in the official ebuild. I copied this ebuild to the correct directory within my PORTDIR_OVERLAY directory I specified in my make.conf. After I made this change, it emerge'd normally.

Also, I apologize for my typo with egcs64-sparc. I just sync'd and tried to emerge it again, just to ensure that I could not. It still reports that the egcs64_19980921.orig.tar.gz file could not be found on ftp.us.debian.org. I've read through the installation documentation, and you are absolutely correct in saying that it is included on the install tarball, which it was. I am just reporting that if, for any reason it needs to be re-emerged at a later date, it would not be possible.

Also, thanks for such a quick response.
caulfie1d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a slight followup:

Well, the change in the ebuild fixed my problem, but I checked on my ~x86 machine that also runs Gentoo and the ebuild was the same as the original on my ultra10. I have successfully installed the new binutils (2.14.90.0.2) on my system at home (~x86) without running into this problem, so I'm confused as to what it could be. The SRC_URI appears to work correctly on my ~x86 system, but not on my ~sparc system. Any clue as to why this is happening?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing a little testing, it seems your sparc does not have any mirrors setup on it, or for some reason is choosing to ignore them. /etc/make.globals contains some default mirrors and you can override them in /etc/make.conf by using the GENTOO_MIRRORS variable. I'd double check that you somehow haven't negated this variable (like having it set to GENTOO_MIRRORS=""). Normally portage should poll the portage distfile mirrors first and then go to the source if all else fails.
caulfie1d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were absolutely right. I didn't have any GENTOO_MIRRORS specified in my make.conf, and for whatever reason, my make.globals didn't exist. I remember after doing an emerge sync && emerge -u system once I had everything installed, and at the end it reported that all changed needed to be in make.conf.

Once I upgraded my system from the base install to the updated versions, it deleted make.globals. I touched this file to make it exist, solely for the purpose of getting portage to sync again. It also seems as though my etc-update.conf was also deleted.

Strange.

I haven't done anything weird to my installation, and I tried to keep as strictly to the install docs as I could.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: