Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Window managers not taking enough colors (Fluxbox)..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Window managers not taking enough colors (Fluxbox).. Reply with quote

Hello! Though this problem extends to other distro's and video cards, and systems, etc. I was wondering if anyone had a solution to this. I have an old laptop that only can go to 256 (8-bit) color X display. However, whenever I use a window manager that does not handle its own colors? (I am only guessing on that) it looks extremely ugly - it is only using 4 colors. Example: Fluxbox uses the 4 colors for CGA (black, white, cyan, maybe magenta? haven't seen that one). WindowMaker has similar problems. However, XFCE and KDE look fine as far as I can tell. However, on this old PC, KDE is bad ;) and I really want flux's features for programming (I love tabs!!!). This problem exists on Slackware 8.1, and I can recreate it on my Gentoo desktop as well (not slow, but if I manually set it to 8 bit color the same thing happens). Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? Any application I start up will clearly have enough colors, so somehow the window manager is not getting them. Also, before the hard drive crashed, I had XFree 3.3.6 - and with the same fluxbox, everything worked fine. There must be some difference in how it chooses colors. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks!

Jamon
Jamon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote

Well, I kindof solved my own problem. Basically, I didn't fix it - but I did make Fluxbox usable. What I did was change the default colors to basic colors - Blue, Cyan, Black, White, Green, Yellow, etc. - and they worked. I also found that changing the ~/.fluxbox/init session.colorsPerChannel to 6 (the highest it would stay) helped also, but I still needed to use my custom scheme for all defined colors to work OK. If anyone wants a color scheme for Fluxbox that works well at 256 (and probably 16!) colors Ok, let me know!

Jamon
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your 'DefaultDepth' set to in /etc/X11/XF86Config?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: