Udev or devfsd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Udev or devfsd? Reply with quote

Everything I read about the 2.6 kernels say it's moving/moved to udev. I just installed my v100 and was having issues with device nodes. I realized it was still using devfsd. I did unmerge devfsd and merged udev which fixed all my problems, but it warned that devfsd was still part of the system profile. I am using the current 2006.1 profile and gentoo-sources 2.6.17-r8.

How come 2006.1 is still using devfsd when most of the documentation points towards moving to udev?

Just curious....
plut0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not, devfs was removed in 2.6.13 and later kernels. You have to use udev now.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm confused.

I realize devfs was removed from the kernel, but why is devfsd part of the system profile then? Should it not be like the x86 profile where udev is part of the system profile? I am using the 2006.1 profile with a 2.6 kernel (fresh install), but I got the warning when removing devfsd that it was part of the system profile. Am I missing something?
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used stages previous to 2006.1 to install you'll get that since they're basically built for 2.4 and devfs.
Or if you used a 2.4 with devfs and moved to a 2.6 profile that would happen too since devfs is in fact in marked as important in your local installation until it's gone.
Basically no worries, it's expected if you upgrade from 2.4->2.6 or used 2.4 stages to install a 2.6 system.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange. I started with a 2006.1 CD, booted the 2.6.17 kernel, and did a stage-1 install. I didn't upgrade from 2.4 or use any other boot CD. Could this have happened because I did a stage-1 intall rather than a stage-3?

Everything's working hunky-droy now, which is good. This V100 seems to make a pretty good little webserver.
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't have happened unless you used the wrong profile.
2006.1 is for 2.6, 2006.1/2.4 is for 2.4.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking should happen which is why I was so confused. I deffinately am using the 2006.1 profile. I did boot with the 2.6.17 kernel and am running a 2.6.17 kernel.

I was trying to get software RAID to working and couldn't figure it out for the longest time until I realize that the block devices in /dev were missing. I never remembered manually adding the devices on my x86 machinces since I started using udev. Once I realized devfs was still installed, I knew removing it and installing udev would fix everything. That's when I got the warning and posted my question.

ls -l /etc/make.profile
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 58 Oct 18 17:03 /etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.1

Very strange.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: