Which wireless access point?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amigadave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Which wireless access point? Reply with quote

I've just bought myself a Cisco Aironet 350 card for my laptop and want to setup a wireless network at home. I live in the UK and have at most £100 to spend on the access point. I'm currently looking at three different access points; the Belkin 802.11b Wireless Access Point (F5D6130), Linksys Instant Wireless Network Access Point v2.2 and 3Com 11 Mbps Wireless LAN Access Point 2000.

The 3Com looks to be the worst-specced (only 40-bit WEP and 128-bit shared key encryption), while the Belkin looks quite good (40-bit and 128-bit WEP) and the Linksys appears best (256-bit WEP supposedly). I can get all the access points for around £80, so I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with any or all of them? I'd like to know how easy they were to setup, what sort of speed and range you got out them and whether they could be managed or setup from Linux? I've done some Googling on the subject but didn't find anything much, just the manufacturer's datasheets really.

Thanks for any information you might be able to give
khel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linksys is quite popular and very easy to setup (all you need is a webbrowser)

khel
amigadave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khel, thanks for the reply! I went ahead and bought the Linksys access point and it works very well. I've upgraded the firmware to version 1.1 and haven't experienced any problems with dropped connections (after Googling for a bit I found that lots of people complained about this with Linksys stuff, but I haven't experienced it). The only problem I am having is that with my Cisco Aironet 350 I can't seem to enable WEP, and also not broadcasting the SSID means I lose connectivity (even when forcibly setting the SSID on the card) but I'm sure I'll figure the problems out given enough time :D
I also found out that you can flash the firmware with D-Link AP900+ firmware to get extra features like a DHCP server and (supposedly) fewer dropped connections. More information on this can be found at http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/Wap11Hack
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: