View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just randomly happens. Sometimes a program worked with Xlaunch fine and then the next time, boom what I describe above happens or the machine locks up.
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baigsabeeh wrote:
Here's another problem. When I launch an application in XLaunch when I'm using XGl/Compiz/cgwd, sometimes it just shows for 3 or 4 seconds and then throws me back to KDM and then I end up logging into another KDE session, manually killing that one and then going to the original. Is there a way around this. This doesn't happen if I use Xlaunch in Xorg.

Did you look at my post above? I already mentioned this. It must be a problem with the recent drivers or xorg updates.
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW! :lol: version=20060911
    a little fix, so that launching specific programs for a given application now correctly works. (eg, if you use xlaunch to launch blender, there are chances that you also like to start a window manager on this display.

=====================================

Xamindar wrote:
Is it possible to set the resolution of the new xserver with this script? For example, set it to 800x600 at 16 when I launch DiabloII.

It is possible, I can see two ways for doing it
  • the brutal way:
    your xorg.conf must be already configured to support this resolution, ie when you're in X type xrandr -q, here is what I get:
    xrandr -q:
     SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
    *0   1280 x 1024   ( 382mm x 313mm )  *75 
     1   1024 x 768    ( 382mm x 313mm )   75 
    Current rotation - normal
    Current reflection - none
    Rotations possible - normal
    Reflections possible - none
    so I want to use the 1024 x 768 resolution, I need to issue xrandr -s 1 just after the Xserver is launch (ie just after the xinit line in the script (do it the same way as described in :
    III - The xlaunch script
      --> b) HowTo use it -The new way - The link trick
        --> * Windowed application

I won't say anything more for this method, since I don't really like it, but it works..

• And the prefered way:
    For that you'd need (as root) a copy of your existing xorg.conf,
    Code:
    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg-diablo.conf
    (name it whatever you feel like!)
    Then edit this file, and delete the resolution you don't need:
    e.g.:
    replace:

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen0"
            Device     "Card0"
            Monitor    "Monitor0"
            SubSection "Display"
                    Viewport   0 0
                    Depth     24
                    Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768"
            EndSubSection
    EndSection
    with:
    Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen0"
            Device     "Card0"
            Monitor    "Monitor0"
            SubSection "Display"
                    Viewport   0 0
                    Depth     24
                    Modes   "1024x768"
            EndSubSection
    EndSection
    (if I want to have 1024x768. Use your settings instead!)

Now, you have your second xorg config ready, time to tell xlaunch to use it, I don't know how yourun DiabloII, I'll assume you have a diabloII command :

In the xlaunch script, in the case loop: (about line 363) add the diabloII case,

eg:
    ---insert what 's in bold--- wrote:
    case "${FULL_PROG_NAME##*/}" in
      xlaunch)
        echo "The program can't call itself. Exiting!"
        # Well, actually it can, but it will exit later, so exiting now..
        exit 2;;

diabloII)
        Xserverargs="-config xorg-diablo.conf $Xserverargs"
        echo "Starting ${FULL_PROG_NAME} on DISPLAY $DISPLAY_TO_USE"
        xinit "${FULL_PROG_NAME}" $* -- $Xserver :$DISPLAY_TO_USE $Xserverargs &>/dev/null &

*)
        xinit "${FULL_PROG_NAME}" $* -- $Xserver :$DISPLAY_TO_USE $Xserverargs &>/dev/null &
        ;;

esac

Now, when you'll run xlaunch diabloII, or xdiabloII if you've created the link, that'll launch the game with the wanted resolution.

EDIT: note, than in the same way as we redefined the Xserverargs variable for daibloII, it's also possible de re-define almost what you want(XSET_ARGS, userxbindkeysrc, Xresources and so on..)

As an exemple, here is what I use for XSET_ARGS

I have a default
Code:
XSET_ARGS="m 7/10 1"
which is uncommented, in the 'configuration' part of the script, then in the case loop, here is what I added
Code:
    quake3*|et|warsow)
        XSET_ARGS="m 0 0"
        ;;

This way I have no acceleration for theses games (quake3, quake3-osp, quake3-cpma..., et, warsow ), and I still have XSET_ARGS="m 7/10 1" when I'm doing anything else than these games.
gentunian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really read all the 5 pages of this post. I only want to say that im running Xgl, and im able to run apps in 3d mode, say like: googleearth, flightgear, xmoto, the screensaver with GL preffix, this last one hung first and I made some changes to the arguments for Xgl, and I use, only for testing, a game in cedega Dream match tennis.

I have an nvidia card, and the arguments i've passed to Xgl are the same poste in the xgl gentoo wiki

Well, thats all.

Adios
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understood everything:

You're trying to tell you don't need xlaunch right? (except for your 'Dream match tennis' game). Xgl is getting better and better, and that's a good point.

Actually xlaunch is not just for XGL user. I personnally don't use xgl, but use xlaunch, why? because, I can switch easily between a game and my desktop, because, I can make my multimedia keys working inside a full screen game, because, I can launch a given game in a xserver with a lower resolution, or depth (ok, I don't use this one..), and so forth and so on (other reasons are given in the first post)
Ronin324
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off thanks to truc for writing the script. Also thanks to CoffeeBuzz for emplimenting in to the coffee overlay.

I decided to emerge the xlauch script threw portage since I am xgl-coffee overlay user. The script works fine. I was just wondering if there was a way to get lets say quake 3 to run in a windowed mode. I read the post about the script but since I got it through portage it seems like its setup a little differently. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help.
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't have the latest version, but that shouldn't be a problem (a few days ago, I pm'd CoffeeBuz so that he put the latest version, but he had some problem with his computer..)

This shouldn't be a problem anyway.

You want quake3 to run in window mode so that you have your 'fun keys' working right?

You just have to follow the part
    III - The xlaunch script
      c) Making your multimedia keys working
In the first post.

In short, start the game(with xlaunch if you're using the XPLAYER feature, with or without xlaunch otherwise (if you don't know, then you're not using it)then set Fullscreen to Off, then clic Accept , you're now in window mode, you can now exit the game, and next time you'll play quake3 it will be in window mode.

Note: are you using quake3-bin, or quake3 (from source) :?:

There is sthg you need to know, if you're using quake3 from source, there is a bug with window mode and brightness, I've reported it here:When Fullscreen is off, Brightness has no effect.
Here is an easy work around:
Once the quake3 game based is launch (in window mode) just type:
ALT+ENTER
it will make it fullscreen, then again
ALT+ENTER
To have window mode again. This way, brightness now works, and so does xbindkeys :)

For Those who are using the XPLAYER feature and who use XQF, I've also noticed a bug with the working directory, I've made a patch , you can find it on gentoo bugzilla(here ), but also here, but this seems hard to understand why would I need to correct this bug, and there are not enough gentoo-dev to take care of it.. So if you don't want to wait until it's added 'officially', use the ebuild provided
BlackTiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's me again :P

Just tried the latest version of your script but now it totally ignores the -p (--path) function

It always says ... ( and yes i sure have rights to execute it 8O )
Quote:

Error: can't find ut2004-bin-linux-amd64:
- Is it in you PATH?
or
- Do you have enough right to execute it?

And I also noticed the bug that my X Server crashes when using your script - just when I updated to the latest NVidia drivers ... so it has something to do with a change inside the drivers - now the thing is, need to find a workaround because I don't think nvidia will fix anything!?

Regards
BlackTiger
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackTiger wrote:
It's me again :P

hi ;)

Quote:
Just tried the latest version of your script but now it totally ignores the -p (--path) function

Do you know now the --path is no longer needed? (Normally :P ) you can run either xlaunch program or xlaunch /path/to/program or even xlaunch relative/path/to/program (but xlaunch --path path/to/prog should still work!)

Quote:
It always says ... ( and yes i sure have rights to execute it 8O )
Quote:

Error: can't find ut2004-bin-linux-amd64:
- Is it in you PATH?
or
- Do you have enough right to execute it?
I suppose here you're trying to run
Code:
xlaunch ut2004-bin-linux-amd64
, but if I refer to your previous posts,
ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 is in /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System and I don't think you put this directory in your PATH, so here is what you can do
  • run the game with xlaunch ~/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64
  • create a symlink with :

xlaunch --addlink /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64
      or

xlaunch --addlink path/to/writable/directory /home/blacktiger/games/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 if you don't have write permission on the directory where xlaunch is stored (path/to/writable/directory must appear in your PATH)

then chose the name you want for that symlink, e.g. ut, then to run the game, just run xut

Quote:
And I also noticed the bug that my X Server crashes when using your script - just when I updated to the latest NVidia drivers ... so it has something to do with a change inside the drivers - now the thing is, need to find a workaround because I don't think nvidia will fix anything!?

Actually I also noticed that, I've made some tests, and it appears that it's the new xorg-7.1 fault (and not nvidia drivers) , It was *really* annoying!, (for example, when I play frozenthrone, going back to my desktop (CTRL-ALT-F7) will kill one of the wine process.

So, my work around is to mask the new xorg, here is a part of my packages.mask concerning this issue:
Code:
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0
=x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1
=x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-1.1.2-r1
=x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.1.0
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.1.0
=x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv-1.1.2

BlackTiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always thanks for your fast and competent help :P

It was my mistake with the "xlaunch -p ut2004-bin-linux-amd64" Command. I used the command when I was in the System directory of ut2004, but well just then it tries to find the path ... my fault ... ""xlaunch -p ./ut2004-bin-linux-amd64" for example works (when already in the dir ^^")

But finally made that tiny symlink xut :o Works great, I tried switching between my Desktops (CTRL+Alt+FX) many times but for this time no crash o_O" This is really amusingly ... it works one time without a single problem, but then problems occur 8O Anyway ... I want to keep my XOrg 7.1 ;)

Thanks
BlackTiger
Ronin324
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truc.. Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for updates in portage for the script. Thanks for the quake3 tips as well. Right now I am just running the demo, just something to pass the time when I am getting ticked off at something. Now I just have to try and use wine to get some of my other games working. I wish Americas Army had not gotten rid of linux support but ohh well.
stahlsau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool that there's still development going on. I use this script on a daily basis, everytime i start a game. Really useful stuff, keep it up ;)
BlackTiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

seems that I somehow was right thinking that the NVidia driver is crashing X when switching between the servers :?

Some days ago the Nvidia Beta Driver 1.0-9625 was released and since then the crashing problem is gone :D

Test it for yourself and report your experiences here ;)

Regards
BlackTiger
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackTiger wrote:
Hi,

seems that I somehow was right thinking that the NVidia driver is crashing X when switching between the servers :?

Some days ago the Nvidia Beta Driver 1.0-9625 was released and since then the crashing problem is gone :D

Regards
BlackTiger

Thanks for the info, I suspected that but wasnt sure. Nice to hear they fixed it. I noticed that my server crashes even if I go to a console.
jballou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, using the script on several machines and it works great. One thing though, when I switch VTs from a Wine game, and come back, I get the Big Ugly X cursor in the center of the screen with no way to remove it. Everything else works great, game runs fine, but the cursor sticks. Is this a Wine issue I need to deal with or any ideas hot to remove it? Thanks for the script.
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having this issue a long time ago, I don't really remember if I did sthg to fix it, or not.

which wine version are you using?
in winecfg, did you disable "allow the window manager to control de window" ?

BlackTiger wrote:
Hi,

Regards
BlackTiger

thanks a lot, I did unmask the new xorg, and the new beta nvidia drivers, and it's working, I no longer have theses crashes!
jballou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truc wrote:
I remember having this issue a long time ago, I don't really remember if I did sthg to fix it, or not.
which wine version are you using?
in winecfg, did you disable "allow the window manager to control de window" ?

Yep. It's a Wine deal, native Quake 3 in xlaunch doesn't do it, but does if I wine quake3.exe .
marcelvs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: xlaunch works partially Reply with quote

Hi, I use Xgl and I have to say xlaunch is a great script :D. My problem is when I run xlaunch in console (with xdm stoped) it works great. When I run xlaunch inside a Xgl (call from xterm window) XGL shuts down and is restarted (restarted by xdm script of course) and nothing else happens.
If (with xdm runing ) I press ctrl + alt + f1 and switch to console mode and run xlaunch from console, my computer locks and I have to reboot.
I have an ATI radeon 9600 pro video card, latest version of xlaunch for this date and I did not read nothing like this in this forum (I did not read all five pages)....

Any help will be welcome, thanks.

Marcelo
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, some ATI users have problem running two Xserver, so my question is, are you one of them?

I mean, can you do this ( from the console, no X server running yet ) :
    xlaunch xterm
    # it should start an Xserver, then inside the xterm, run
    xlaunch term

If it's working, (two Xservers running at the same time, and you can switch between them with ctrl-alt-FX ) then xe should be able to get the script working correctly otherwise, you can still follow this link
marcelvs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I shutdown Xgl I can run xlaunch twice as you said. I tried and it worked. It fails if I try to run xlaunch with Xgl running.
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcelvs wrote:
If I shutdown Xgl I can run xlaunch twice as you said. I tried and it worked. It fails if I try to run xlaunch with Xgl running.

it "worked" means you can switch between the two display with ctrl-alt-f7 and ctrl-alt-f8 right?

Are you using gentoo? can you post the result of ls -l /usr/bin/X*. Can you also try when you're in xgl :
in xterm:
    * First post the result of ps aux (on this thread, or pm me)
    * try xinit -- :1 , does it crash your xgl? if so, pastbin /var/log/xorg.1.log, now try DISPLAY="" xinit -- :1 does it work?

we need something, we don't have any log from you, no nothing :?
marcelvs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

it "worked" means you can switch between the two display with ctrl-alt-f7 and ctrl-alt-f8 right?

Are you using gentoo? can you post the result of ls -l /usr/bin/X*. Can you also try when you're in xgl :
in xterm:

* First post the result of ps aux (on this thread, or pm me)
* try xinit -- :1 , does it crash your xgl? if so, pastbin /var/log/xorg.1.log, now try DISPLAY="" xinit -- :1 does it work?

we need something, we don't have any log from you, no nothing :?

Yes, I can switch between desktops.

I am using gentoo, I'd like to point out I use xgl and use DISPLAY=0 with XGL, but I did all tests with "xinit -- :1", and all tests crashed the whole computer.
Here is the output:

ps aux
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
root 1 0.0 0.1 1508 528 ? Ss 13:07 0:00 init [3]
root 2 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? SN 13:07 0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
root 3 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 13:07 0:00 [watchdog/0]
root 4 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:07 0:00 [events/0]
root 5 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:07 0:00 [khelper]
root 6 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:07 0:00 [kthread]
root 8 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:07 0:00 [kblockd/0]
root 23 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:07 0:00 [kseriod]
root 26 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:07 0:00 [khubd]
root 57 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 13:07 0:00 [kapmd]
root 81 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 13:07 0:00 [pdflush]
root 82 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 13:07 0:00 [pdflush]
root 83 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 13:07 0:00 [kswapd0]
root 84 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:07 0:00 [aio/0]
root 666 0.1 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:07 0:00 [vesafb]
root 690 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:07 0:00 [kpsmoused]
root 756 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:08 0:00 [kjournald]
root 956 0.0 0.1 1728 556 ? S<s 13:08 0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
root 2702 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 13:08 0:00 [saa7133[0]]
root 4340 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S< 13:08 0:00 [kgameportd]
root 6288 0.0 0.1 1544 596 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd -m 0
101 6490 0.0 0.1 3840 888 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
102 6696 0.0 1.5 9284 7800 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/hald --use-syslog
root 6698 0.0 0.1 2696 944 ? S 13:08 0:00 hald-runner
root 6786 0.0 0.2 2232 1216 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -2
102 7179 0.0 0.1 1884 772 ? S 13:08 0:00 /usr/libexec/hald-addon-keyboard
root 7364 0.0 0.1 1772 616 ? S 13:08 0:00 /usr/libexec/hald-addon-storage
root 7421 0.0 0.1 1772 620 ? S 13:08 0:00 /usr/libexec/hald-addon-storage
root 7693 0.0 0.0 1524 224 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /sbin/dhcpcd -h darkstar eth0
root 7788 0.0 0.1 3940 1016 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
root 7813 0.0 0.4 7688 2092 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root 7822 0.0 0.2 3752 1180 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
root 7849 0.0 0.1 7688 908 ? S 13:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root 7851 0.0 0.7 5620 3968 ? S 13:08 0:00 ddclient - sleeping for 240 seconds
root 7867 0.0 0.3 11900 1876 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /usr/bin/gdm
root 7868 0.0 0.4 12440 2568 ? S 13:08 0:00 /usr/bin/gdm
root 7887 6.3 14.1 83284 73324 ? SL 13:08 0:42 /usr/bin/Xgl :0 -ac -accel xv:pbuffer -accel glx:pbuffer -auth /var/gdm/:0.X
root 7888 0.4 1.4 15728 7732 tty7 SLs+ 13:08 0:03 /usr/bin/Xorg vt7 -auth /tmp/.Xgl-auth-AKmjDe -nolisten tcp :93 -terminate
root 7971 0.0 0.0 1504 512 tty1 Ss+ 13:08 0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
root 7972 0.0 0.0 1500 508 tty2 Ss+ 13:08 0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
root 7973 0.0 0.0 1504 512 tty3 Ss+ 13:08 0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
root 7974 0.0 0.0 1504 512 tty4 Ss+ 13:08 0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
root 7976 0.0 0.0 1500 508 tty5 Ss+ 13:08 0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
root 7977 0.0 0.0 1504 508 tty6 Ss+ 13:08 0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux
mribeiro 8013 0.0 0.2 2788 1236 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/kde/3.5/bin/startkde
mribeiro 8036 0.0 0.1 2792 664 ? S 13:08 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
mribeiro 8037 0.0 0.1 3724 568 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 8 --print-address 6 --session
mribeiro 8040 0.0 0.1 3496 632 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- /usr/kde/3.5/bin/startkde
mribeiro 8080 0.0 0.6 23888 3552 ? Ss 13:08 0:00 kdeinit Running...
mribeiro 8083 0.0 0.7 13732 3672 ? S 13:08 0:00 dcopserver --nosid
mribeiro 8085 0.0 1.5 24732 7836 ? S 13:08 0:00 klauncher [kdeinit] --new-startup
mribeiro 8087 0.0 2.7 29216 14108 ? S 13:08 0:00 kded --new-startup
mribeiro 8092 0.0 0.0 1484 356 ? S 13:08 0:00 kwrapper ksmserver --windowmanager compiz-decorator
mribeiro 8094 0.0 1.8 20436 9812 ? S 13:08 0:00 ksmserver --windowmanager compiz-decorator
mribeiro 8100 0.1 2.9 28088 15072 ? S 13:09 0:01 kdesktop
mribeiro 8102 0.5 3.1 29540 16036 ? S 13:09 0:03 kicker
mribeiro 8103 0.0 1.3 24156 7152 ? S 13:09 0:00 kio_file [kdeinit] file /tmp/ksocket-mribeiro/klauncher29lJfc.slave-socket /
mribeiro 8111 0.0 1.6 20544 8460 ? S 13:09 0:00 kaccess
mribeiro 8112 0.0 2.1 24936 11020 ? S 13:09 0:00 krandrtray -session 10d7d5d3dd000113045375900000139960019_1160700920_765501
mribeiro 8114 0.0 2.5 25188 13092 ? S 13:09 0:00 kget -session 10d7d5d3dd000112241259900000117810017_1160700920_694955
mribeiro 8116 0.0 2.5 26760 13420 ? S 13:09 0:00 kmix -session 10d7d5d3dd000114903119700000150360008_1160700920_695453
mribeiro 8118 0.0 2.4 25820 12692 ? S 13:09 0:00 kcheckgmail -session 10d7d5d3dd000115695054600000082100012_1160700920_672333
mribeiro 8130 0.2 1.1 14528 6096 ? S 13:09 0:01 compiz --replace decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scale move
mribeiro 8134 0.0 3.2 33260 16944 ? S 13:09 0:00 knotes -session 10d7d5d3dd000115513595600000138640011_1160700920_890803
mribeiro 8141 0.0 1.3 13768 6996 ? S 13:09 0:00 gtk-window-decorator
mribeiro 8143 0.0 0.5 4056 2600 ? S 13:09 0:00 /usr/libexec/gconfd-2 14
mribeiro 8156 0.0 0.2 2916 1356 ? S 13:09 0:00 /bin/bash /usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher
mribeiro 8165 4.1 10.2 131188 53036 ? Sl 13:09 0:25 /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin
mribeiro 8175 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? Z 13:09 0:00 [netstat] <defunct>
mribeiro 8196 0.0 0.9 8548 4944 ? S 13:14 0:00 urxvt -depth 32 -fg grey90 -bg rgba:0000/0000/0000/dddd
mribeiro 8197 0.0 0.3 3120 1668 pts/1 Ss 13:14 0:00 bash
root 8203 0.0 0.1 2224 1028 pts/1 S 13:17 0:00 su -
root 8206 0.0 0.3 2856 1636 pts/1 S 13:17 0:00 -su
root 8214 0.0 0.1 2132 876 pts/1 R+ 13:19 0:00 ps aux

----------------------------------------------------------------

ls -l /usr/bin/X*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Sep 30 11:56 /usr/bin/X -> Xorg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Dec 4 2005 /usr/bin/X11 -> ../bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1542268 Sep 30 21:57 /usr/bin/Xgl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3930748 Sep 30 11:56 /usr/bin/Xnest
-rws--x--x 1 root root 1742756 Sep 30 11:56 /usr/bin/Xorg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4253768 Sep 30 11:56 /usr/bin/Xvfb
-------------------------------

cat /var/log/Xorg.1.log

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 i686
Current Operating System: Linux darkstar 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 #2 PREEMPT Thu Sep 28 20:55:55 UTC 2006 i686
Build Date: 30 September 2006
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Fri Oct 13 13:07:25 2006
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) ServerLayout "Server Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) | |-->Device "ATI Graphics Adapter"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse1"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard1"
(**) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/local/,
/usr/share/fonts/misc/,
/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/share/fonts/Type1/
(**) RgbPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
(II) Open APM successful
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.3
X.Org Video Driver: 1.0
X.Org XInput driver : 0.6
X.Org Server Extension : 0.3
X.Org Font Renderer : 0.5
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts/libbitmap.so
(II) Module bitmap: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 7.1.1, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Font Renderer
ABI class: X.Org Font Renderer, version 0.5
(II) Loading font Bitmap
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libpcidata.so
(II) Module pcidata: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 7.1.1, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
(--) using VT number 8

(II) PCI: PCI scan (all values are in hex)
(II) PCI: 00:00:0: chip 1106,3189 card 1043,807f rev 00 class 06,00,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:01:0: chip 1106,b168 card 0000,0000 rev 00 class 06,04,00 hdr 01
(II) PCI: 00:0a:0: chip 1274,5880 card 1274,2003 rev 02 class 04,01,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:0d:0: chip 1131,7133 card 11bd,002b rev 10 class 04,80,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:10:0: chip 1106,3038 card 1043,80a1 rev 80 class 0c,03,00 hdr 80
(II) PCI: 00:10:1: chip 1106,3038 card 1043,80a1 rev 80 class 0c,03,00 hdr 80
(II) PCI: 00:10:2: chip 1106,3038 card 1043,80a1 rev 80 class 0c,03,00 hdr 80
(II) PCI: 00:10:3: chip 1106,3104 card 1043,80a1 rev 82 class 0c,03,20 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:11:0: chip 1106,3177 card 1043,80a1 rev 00 class 06,01,00 hdr 80
(II) PCI: 00:11:1: chip 1106,0571 card 1043,80a1 rev 06 class 01,01,8a hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:12:0: chip 1106,3065 card 1043,80a1 rev 74 class 02,00,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 01:00:0: chip 1002,4150 card 18bc,0190 rev 00 class 03,00,00 hdr 80
(II) PCI: 01:00:1: chip 1002,4170 card 18bc,0191 rev 00 class 03,80,00 hdr 00
(ended here) -> I have to push the reset button
destr0yr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody else receive the following, or am I the only lucky one?
Code:
$ xlaunch
/home/scripts/xlaunch: 111: Syntax error: Bad substitution

The script, xlaunch, is in /home/scripts, which is in my path. I am the owner of the file (user and group). xlaunch version is 20060913.

However... I am running Ubuntu (Edgy) w/bash 3.1-5ubuntu3. I wasn't able to find anything useful in the ubuntuforums, so I figured I'd come back to the source, and arguably the most helpful forums on the 'net.
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which version bash 3.1-5ubuntu3 exactly is, but I'm running bash-3.1_p17 here and it's ok, it's probably due to a bad copy&pasting:?::
try to download the script again:
Code:
wget http://fatimademe.free.fr/truc/xlaunch -O /home/scripts/xlaunch

btw, line 111 is
Code:
 if [ "${arg/\/}" != "${arg}" ]; then

this test should not fail:
Code:
$ TRY=/home
$ echo ${TRY/\/}
home

hope that helps:/
destr0yr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truc wrote:
I don't know which version bash 3.1-5ubuntu3 exactly is, but I'm running bash-3.1_p17 here and it's ok, it's probably due to a bad copy&pasting:?::
try to download the script again:
Code:
wget http://fatimademe.free.fr/truc/xlaunch -O /home/scripts/xlaunch

Tried that. Same result.
truc wrote:

btw, line 111 is
Code:
 if [ "${arg/\/}" != "${arg}" ]; then

this test should not fail:
Code:
$ TRY=/home
$ echo ${TRY/\/}
home

That works successfully. I edited line 111 using sed to product the same result - ran into another issue on line 123. On a whim I changed line 1 from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash, and would you believe, that solved the issue.
truc wrote:

hope that helps:/

Thank you, it did.

Next on the docket, figuring out why it's not exiting properly and returning me to my desktop... :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: