Ultrasparc + 2.6 kernel [RESOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smiffy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Ultrasparc + 2.6 kernel [RESOLVED] Reply with quote

I have been advised that I can get RAID 1 running with kernel 2.6.x on Ultrasparc. (See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-484598-highlight-.html)

However, having fiddled with /etc/profiles/[package.keywords|package.unmask] I cannot emerge a 2.6 kernel for sparc.

Can someone give a simple means of doing this, or should I just pull it down from kernel.org and do it all by hand?

Cheers

M

Last edited by smiffy on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Adrien
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! :)
You'll have to change your profile for this and switch to a 2006.X profile.
For example:
Code:
# cd /etc
# rm make.profile
# ln -snf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2006.1 /etc/make.profile

After this you should be able to emerge a 2.6 kernel. You may have to play with package keywording though.

Concerning the RAID stuff on sparc, I use to have a big problem with it. Because of a baselayout bug, e2fsck couldn't check raid partitions. I'm not too sure but it may only affect RAID0 partitions and not RAID1... Not sure wether this has been fixed yet or not.

Have fun! :)
smiffy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I will try this out tomorrow.

EDIT - this worked. Now for the tricky bit...

Last edited by smiffy on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
smiffy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Silo config tips worked.

The e2fsck bug still seems to be with us, and now I have a problem, as I need to stop the on-boot check from happening until this bug is resolved.

However, when I boot, I am unable to find a way of mounting / as rw so that I can change /etc/fstab to tell it not to do the check.

I thought that I could just boot from the liveCD and make the changes that way, but I can no longer boot from CD! It seems as though there is some write-protect on the PROM (this is a Blade 100). Even if I do a factory reset (set-defaults), when I restart, the values have gone back to what they were before changes were made. The service manual refers to a write-protect jumper, but does not tell me where it is!

EDIT: JP2 must be set across 2 and 3*. I have now been able to change the boot device and edit the checks out of /etc/fstab. Wonder when the baselayout bug will be fixed...

Thanks to those who have helped me get this far!

*[url]http://www.sunshack.org/data/sh/2.0/infoserver.central/data/syshbk/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_SunBlade_100.html Blade 100 data at sunshack.org[/url]
Adrien
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiffy wrote:
Well, the Silo config tips worked.

The e2fsck bug still seems to be with us

Glad it worked for you, and thanks for letting us know about the bug, I was wondering wether I should try a new raid install for fun. Think I'll have to wait a little... :roll:
agaffney
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrien wrote:
Because of a baselayout bug, e2fsck couldn't check raid partitions. I'm not too sure but it may only affect RAID0 partitions and not RAID1... Not sure wether this has been fixed yet or not.

Is there a bug number for this?
Adrien
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agaffney wrote:
Is there a bug number for this?

Don't know, when I had the problem, I came across several conversations about this on mailing-lists or various forums, but I couldn't tell where exactly. The fact several people were aware of it let me think a bug report had already been posted somewhere. Seems not so obvious now.
smiffy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have other issues, I believe them to be unrelated so I am marking this thread RESOLVED.

I have done emerge -uD world so that I now have:
baselayout - 1.12.4-r7
vanilla-sources 2.6.17.7

md0 (my root fs) is now flagged for checking in /etc/fstab, system boots normally.
recoco.zhang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi smiffy,does the grub support to boot multi OS on SPARC arch machine,for example linux and solaris?thanks in advance!
smiffy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if is possible to use Grub on Sparc - I use silo and am only running Linux. (I have another Sparc box for Solaris.)

Try: man silo

...or visit the silo home page:
http://www.sparc-boot.org/
Adrien
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recoco.zhang wrote:
hi smiffy,does the grub support to boot multi OS on SPARC arch machine,for example linux and solaris?thanks in advance!

grub is hard-masked on sparc so I wouldn't advise you to use it. But silo can dual boot linux and solaris, there are several topics about this on the sparc forum and everything you need in the silo.conf example.

@smiffy: I'm wondering wether you experienced any problems booting on a RAID0 partition cause it didn't work for me when I tried to RAID0 my / partition:
Code:
# silo -C /etc/silo.conf
/boot/silo.conf appears to be valid
Fatal error: Only RAID1 supported

So I had to put /boot on a spare RAID1 partition in order to make it. Have you been seeing anything like that? And if not, would you mind telling me which version of silo you're using?

Thanks! :)
smiffy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you there - I only use RAID1. I had a bad experience a couple of years ago - now ALL my machines are mirrored RAID 1! (I even have my main RAID 1 machine rsync all critical data to another RAID 1 machine every 3 hours...)

You have RAID 0 build into your kernel - * not M ? If you don't have the appropriate RAID level built in, you will have big problems...

narsil smith # silo -V
SILO version 1.4.13
Adrien
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiffy wrote:
Can't help you there - I only use RAID1. I had a bad experience a couple of years ago - now ALL my machines are mirrored RAID 1! (I even have my main RAID 1 machine rsync all critical data to another RAID 1 machine every 3 hours...)

8) secure!

smiffy wrote:
You have RAID 0 build into your kernel - * not M ? If you don't have the appropriate RAID level built in, you will have big problems...

Of course I have it, it's not the problem, It's a silo limitation, anyway I'll try the latest silo version, and if it doesn't work, I'll just replay the same trick. Thanks! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: