ethernet card problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjengstah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: ethernet card problems Reply with quote

i have the next 2 network cards

Code:
Ethernet controller: Marvell TEchnology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

i have been trying to load module for the Ethernet controller "sk98lin" but not working.
If there is other one pls tell me!

Code:
Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller

i cant find a module for this one :(
Tryd modprobe forcedeth

i tryd install with out network but failed at "pciutils" cause these files need to be downloaded, i have no floppy drive or extra cd-rom so cant download the drivers.

Can anyone tell me how to solf this or what i do wrong

Greetings,

Sjengstah
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the new module for the marvell yukon is "skge", and forcedeth is the correct one for an nforce2 onboard nic. did you get any errors when you did this?
also, i'd assume you're still in the setting-up stage. did you try to net-setup the appropriate device? what exactly doesn't work? what's the output of ifconfig -a?

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
sjengstah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
i think the new module for the marvell yukon is "skge", and forcedeth is the correct one for an nforce2 onboard nic. did you get any errors when you did this?
also, i'd assume you're still in the setting-up stage. did you try to net-setup the appropriate device? what exactly doesn't work? what's the output of ifconfig -a?

i tryed net-setup but nothing worked, so ia sked some one on this forum thourgh msn and he told my 2 hours long what to do but could not solve it.

and no i did not get any errors

but i will try the new module you gave me.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ethernet controller: Marvell TEchnology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
The driver for this is skge.

Quote:
Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller
forcedeth is the driver for this one but people have reported that this NIC doesn't work until nvidia's own linux driver has been run (sets something only nvidia knows about).
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
sjengstah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynn wrote:
Quote:
The driver for this is skge.

well this one works now xD
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjengstah wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

i tryed net-setup but nothing worked, so ia sked some one on this forum thourgh msn and he told my 2 hours long what to do but could not solve it.

and no i did not get any errors

but i will try the new module you gave me.

so, what doesn't work exactly? you can't ping? you don't get anything via dhcp? can you ping yourself? is the thing *up*? well, jus post the output of "ifconfig -a" and we might be able to help you better :)

EDIT: ah well, good to hear skge works :D

wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger:
Quote:
so, what doesn't work exactly? you can't ping? you don't get anything via dhcp? can you ping yourself? is the thing *up*? well, just post the output of "ifconfig -a" and we might be able to help you better
Do you think anyone has written a network troubleshooting checklist? There are so many problems similar to sjengstah's, it would come in handy, don't you think?
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
sjengstah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your guys are right next time i will tell beter what doenst work, but this time nothing worked with my ethernet card i could not ping could not connect to a website could not created a network connection until i used "skge"i'm very thankfull with the help i got here

EDIT: sorry for my crappy english
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynn wrote:
mdeininger:
Quote:
so, what doesn't work exactly? you can't ping? you don't get anything via dhcp? can you ping yourself? is the thing *up*? well, just post the output of "ifconfig -a" and we might be able to help you better
Do you think anyone has written a network troubleshooting checklist? There are so many problems similar to sjengstah's, it would come in handy, don't you think?

you're right, maybe we should just start a thread with a checklist for this... actually, i think i'll start one just now, there's tons of "my network doesn't work" threads spawning just now... :)

sjengstah wrote:
your guys are right next time i will tell beter what doenst work, but this time nothing worked with my ethernet card i could not ping could not connect to a website could not created a network connection until i used "skge"i'm very thankfull with the help i got here

EDIT: sorry for my crappy english

it's okay, as long as it works now ;)

wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger:
Quote:
maybe we should just start a thread with a checklist for this.
I've been looking through "Documentation, Tips and Tricks" (41 pages!) and there's a reference to this FAQ KC3: Networking worked during installation, but now that I compiled my own kernel, it doesn't work anymore. What's wrong? which covers part of it.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynn wrote:
mdeininger:
Quote:
maybe we should just start a thread with a checklist for this.
I've been looking through "Documentation, Tips and Tricks" (41 pages!) and there's a reference to this FAQ KC3: Networking worked during installation, but now that I compiled my own kernel, it doesn't work anymore. What's wrong? which covers part of it.

well, it seems people check here first for info on this, so maybe this forum is exactly where we should have one... i just wrote a quick and dirty one :)

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: