Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Am I just lucky or what? DHCP problems on startup.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarlok
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Am I just lucky or what? DHCP problems on startup. Reply with quote

First off ,yes, I searched. I searched some more afterwards to be sure. And I even tried everything I could that seemed remotely related to my problems in order to fix it.
If I missed something, well... I blame it being the fact It was 11 pm when I started trying to fix this, and it is now 1:45 am. :?

Righto, here's the story so far. When installig gentoo, I had a series of problems getting my network card to detect (A Realtek 8139 or something along those lines). I had to insmod 8139too.o to get that to work, then everything went smoothly from there.

Then came the first reboot after everything finished.
Code:

* Failed to brint eth0 up

* ERROR:  Problem starting needed services
*         "netmount" was not started.

Strangely enough, if I just login as root and dhcpcd eth0, it works. Again, I found 2 or 3 posts related to this, but none of them helped. Unless they solved the problem and forgot to go into detail as to how (surprise surprise. ;))

I have the driver for my network card compiled right into my kernel. I know it's the right module, because I'm using the same version and flava of kernel I was when I last had this working (vanilla, 2.4.20). The modle in the kernel is:
Realtek RTL-8139 PCI Fast Etherne Adapter support

I even tried the old (and smallest ever) kernel that I was using, but it made no difference.

The contents of my /etc/conf.d/net file:
Code:

# I hate 15 lines of comments. So I just delete them from the file itself.
face_eth0="dhcp"
dhcpcd_eth0=""         # Tried adding a hostname, and taking out.

I have already done this:
rc-update add net.eth0 default

I'm assuming I don't need to add pcmcia to the run-level default seeing as it works if I start it manally, but I tried this anyway (it says it isn't found).:
rc-update add pcmcia default

I tried a dmesg:
dmesg *|grep eth

But, I got nothing. although, if I just do a straight dmesg, it never gets past my video card:
Code:

[fglrx:firegl_umm_init] *ERROR* UMM area already initialized!
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 5187 using kernel context 0

~/swear
bash: swear: command not found

(name that card anyone? :D)

So, at this point, I'm stumped. I Wouldn't mind so much, if it wasn't for the fact that my very first Gentoo install went flawlessly. Literally. No problems at all. Even when I switched from the gentoo-sources over to vanilla.

Anyway, any help at all would be appreciated, even if it's just something showing me how to make "dhcpcd eth0" run on startup automatically. Although, it would be nice to get 'rid of those nast red *'s and that Error message.

Thanks.
LemonFizz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Metoo Gentoo Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help, but I have exactly the same problem, so hopefull if two fo us ask we may get a reply
LF :(
seaweed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I just lucky or what? DHCP problems on startup. Reply with quote

Code:

# I hate 15 lines of comments. So I just delete them from the file itself.
face_eth0="dhcp"
dhcpcd_eth0=""         # Tried adding a hostname, and taking out.

Don't know if its just a typo on the forum or in your "/etc/conf.d/net" files.

Code:

iface_eth0="dhcp"
Sarlok
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I just lucky or what? DHCP problems on startup. Reply with quote

seaweed wrote:

Don't know if its just a typo on the forum or in your "/etc/conf.d/net" files.

Code:

iface_eth0="dhcp"

Argh! That's what I get for trying to fix things at 1 am. That was it. :oops:
Every time I looked at that line I said in my mind "iface_eth0=....". Well, at least it wasn't a duplicate.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: