Thinking about 'playing around' with LDAP, can it do...xxxx
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braindead0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Thinking about 'playing around' with LDAP, can it do...xxxx Reply with quote

I'm considering installing ldap and getting my feet wet as it were. I've got a few quesrtion.

I've got two Windoze boxes behind my Gentoo system (acting as fw/router) and I'm wondering if I can setup Windoze to authenticate via LDAP on the router.

Will I still be able to login to the Windoze boxes if the Linux box isn't running (down for maint or something)? I know Windoze 'caches' domain info, does it do the same for ldap?

From what I can tell, many mail clients support using LDAP as address book, can I sync my palm contacts with LDAP server?

I think that's all the questions I have ;-)
flowctrl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Will I still be able to login to the Windoze boxes if the Linux box isn't running (down for maint or something)? I know Windoze 'caches' domain info, does it do the same for ldap?

Most likely. You would setup samba as a PDC with an OpenLDAP backend. In my experience, Windows domain logins still work even when the PDC is not available, provided that you have logged into that Windows box before. Windows must cache the credentials locally and fall back on it when the PDC is unavailable.

Quote:

From what I can tell, many mail clients support using LDAP as address book, can I sync my palm contacts with LDAP server?

Yes, since you can sync palm with applications such as Evolution, and those applications can use LDAP backends. It looks like there are more direct methods as well:

[url] http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=palm+ldap§ion=projects [/url]
H0bb3z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows allows for a number of "grace" logins when a PDC or BDC is unavailable. Logins can succeed based on cached credentials from a previously-successful domain login. The number of grace logins is usually 7 or 10, but I've never been denied login when I've logged in 15 time without a PDC or BDC available...
Running Funtoo Core2 build
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: