View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiaJesus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Big Xchat Problems Reply with quote

I hope someone has some ideas here....

A couple of days ago I decided that I wanted to check out the new Gnome 2.0. So I changed my USE line in /etc/make.conf to what I thought was appropriate and rebuilt my entire system with the --emptytree option. Once that was done I was going to emerge the new Gnome 2.0.

Then I noticed something weird started to happen. Normally I run KDE and after the --emptytree emerge, when I tried to run Xchat I would get an error that said "xchat has crashed due to a fatal error (segmentation fault)." I logged out and saw that Gnome 1.4 was an option under KDM (which sorta surprised me) so I logged into Gnome 1.4 re-ran Xchat and it worked.

Well, I didn't want Gnome 1.4 and foolishly I blamed the problem on doing the --emptytree emerge (which I have read can cause some serious problems).

SOOOO....since I wanted to rebuild my system anyways, I thought now was a good time. So I have spent the last two days rebuilding my system and man, is it ever slick. After rebuilding I restored my backups, logged into KDE, tried to fire up Xchat and blam! I still got the Segmentation fault. I then logged out, logged into Gnome 2, tried to run Xchat and blam! Yet another segmentation fault.

I have been able to troubleshoot the problem to trying to run Perl scripts. If I remove my Perl scripts and run Xchat, it runs fine now. However, if I try to load any Perl scripts, it seg faults 100% of the time. It does not matter which script I try to load.

Perl is installed and seems to be running OK. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I can say for sure its not a permissions problem - its purely a problem with Xchat running Perl scripts. Re-emerging Xchat did not help. If anyone can help me figure this out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks....

-Chia
l8nite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: xchat version? Reply with quote

Which version of xchat are you trying to run?

xchat 1.9.X is largely unfinished and unstable. I would suggest using 1.8.9 until the GTK2 xchat is ready for release :-)
ChiaJesus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

Actually I solved the problem myself. The problem was GTK+2.0 - Xchat 1.8.9 doesn't like it whatsoever. So I removed Gnome 2 entirely, removed Xchat, and removed GTK+2.0. Re-emerged GTK+1.2, re-emerged Xchat and everything started working again.

Thanks for your message though...

-Chia
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: