Gentoo on Alpha, newbie question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arturo.digioia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Gentoo on Alpha, newbie question Reply with quote

I've got an old Digital Personal Workstation 433au (128MB Ram, ~4 GB HD). I'm thinking about trashing the Tru64 OS on it and try installing Linux (nobody else uses this box, maybe it could still get its job done as a backup machine, cvs server with minimal X, WindowMaker an latex system, plus compilers). I never touched an Alpha architecture. I'd like to have Gentoo on it (just because if it works like on x86 it will be a charm to mantain after having installed it). I suppose I've got enough space for a minimal system. Probably I could export some dirs via NFS from my main x86 box (/usr/portage, /home). Is it a viable way. I'll start from the links reported in the first post on a previous thread (the one on the Alphaserver 1000). Is there anything else I must read before touching thet box ()? I'd like to receive suggestions like 'Ah, if only I had read xxx-HOWTO before screwing up everything!' ;-)
Thanks
arturo.digioia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading the previos threads, probably the best answer to my previous question should be 'RTFF'. ;-)
There are enough details on the topic in many other posts, so please forgive me for the useless question.
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arturo.digioia wrote:
I'm reading the previos threads, probably the best answer to my previous question should be 'RTFF'. ;-)

Theres some info there, but beware a lot of it is out of date. New documentation is coming very soon!

arturo.digioia wrote:
There are enough details on the topic in many other posts, so please forgive me for the useless question.

Not a useless question at all, theres no user documentation on installation available yet and there should be. Until its ready i would reccomend subscribing to the gentoo-alpha mailing list (low volume).

btw, it will work like gentoo on x86, you wont be dissapointed ;)
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got myself a very similar machine as arturo, a Digital PW433au, and of course I want to put Gentoo linux on it. At the moment I am reading the relevant threads and docs. I'm happy to have found http://cvs.gentoo.org/~taviso/alpha-install.html but I sense a problem there: the section on installing aboot is still empty. Can anyone point me to a thread or doc where this is explained? Or tell me how to do it?
tgkee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: SRM howto Reply with quote

The SRM howto (http://www.tldp.org) provides some useful information.

Quick guide:
1 - install aboot
2 - setup /etc/aboot.conf

Just installed Gentoo on PWS500, still some work with bootloader, but it looks good.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I hadn't thought of looking in tldp, but that howto is indeed a treasure. Now I'm waiting for the key from HP so I can use ccc for bootstrapping &c.
Da Geek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: SRM Firmware Console Reply with quote

I just installed debian on my alpha (I know... I should use Gentoo, and I will - soon) and had some problems with the SRM console.

And then I found this :
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7-Manual/alpha-install-guide/s1-alpha-srm.html

I helped me a lot. Specially the
Code:
show boot*

That's that. Just a post for the record. And for the ppl searching for SRM :)

Da Geek
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: