Oh my god help me
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rorsten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Oh my god help me Reply with quote

It seems that for a little while, reiserfs was semi-officially supported on sparc64. Well, I used it, and now after an emerge -nuD world, I can't boot my system, and the livecd doesn't recognize reiserfs.

I was planning to decommission this box in the next month or so, but this has sort of sped things up a bit. I'm grabbing the debian sparc cd in hopes that it will support reiser and that I'll be able to get my data—seven years of blog, my primary email address and several other websites—off of the thing.

Does anyone have ANYTHING that will boot on sparc and read a reiser filesystem? ANYTHING? Install trojans on it, whatever, I don't care. I just want my data back.
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot help you with a cd or something, but have you thought about plugging the disk into another computer which supports reiserfs? the other computer would just need the right kernel configuration to support the sparc partition layout IIRC.
rorsten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is getting another system with SCA connectors.

I wound up chrooting from a debian installation cd, which was good enough to get stuff off. Now I just have to fix up the replacement machine...
waldeck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh my god help me Reply with quote

rorsten wrote:
It seems that for a little while, reiserfs was semi-officially supported on sparc64. Well, I used it, and now after an emerge -nuD world, I can't boot my system, and the livecd doesn't recognize reiserfs.

That's why I always keep a separate 100Mb ext2 boot partition with everything I need to boot up properly. There's no particular reason why you should keep it together with your root partition anyway. The only times I actually mount my boot partition is when I'm updating my kernel. By the way, I also use reiserfs and it seems to work quite well for me.

Cheers,
Waldeck
rongfei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can connect the harddisk on another linux machine , your date in the filesystem will be copied out .
GenYetiToo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh my god help me Reply with quote

rorsten wrote:
Does anyone have ANYTHING that will boot on sparc and read a reiser filesystem? ANYTHING? Install trojans on it, whatever, I don't care. I just want my data back.

I'm aware that this does not help you now, but perhaps in the future:
There are two kinds of computer users:
(1) has never had a harddisk failure, (2) does regular backups.
I guess you just made the transition from (1) to (2) the painful way ..
M.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: