Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Handwriting in Chinese
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index 中文 (Chinese)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiRmD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Handwriting in Chinese Reply with quote

Ni hao !

my (Chinese) girlfriend bought this week-end some fancy writing pad that let input Chinese simply by drawing the corresponding character with a pen (the product is made by Han Wan a Beijing compagny). It connects via the USB port.

Unfortunatly as you might imagine this wonderful product is not supported under linux (well the company does list Linux on his website but I found nothing on how to actually install it).

So here come my question: are you aware of a way to obtain such a similar behaviour?

By googling I understand the following points:
- the only writing pad like that seems supported under linux are wacom, aiptek and another I just forgot the name. So I suppose, finding a tablet that works under linux is not so difficult
- where the think begin to be difficult is how to have some handwritting recognition and have it coupled with some input method like SCIM. That's where I stoped my search. I did found some thing about
. an IME for SCIM (http://tomoe.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/en/blog/index.rb?date=20060516) but it only supports Japonese
. some IBM product but it seems no more available (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/aw.nsf/FAQs/chinese4linux
. the chinput (and maybe minichinput) seems to have such kind of features but as I fail to find English instruction on this part I'm still ot clear how to install it

Have some of you some feedback/success story related to this ?
SnEptUne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the hardware is supported by Linux (such as tablet that is based on wacom), the software wouldn't run under Linux natively. I still haven't find any handwritting tablet that support Linux. How sad...

However, there a input methods that would take handwriting, such as UniHan 2, from Sun Wah Linux. I have contacted them for the source code, but it seems like the distribution is not well maintained. I still haven't gotten any reply.

The binary can be installed on gentoo, but you would need to have iiimf working on Gentoo, as well as other static library.
PiRmD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your clues. Anyway I'm afraid that th esolution you point out is a bit above my actual abilities.

Seems I will have to re-install a windows box soon :(
SnEptUne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can just install Windows under vmware, with the raw image on a Linux partition. That way, you don't need to reboot everytime you need to use something from Windows. It isn't difficult to install, but setting up network that runs like a separate machine inside vmware is a little complicated.
PiRmD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for your help. I will have a look to the vmware solution. Thus, can you explain me a bit what is the main objective to set-up a network that runs like a separate machine inside vmware ?
SnEptUne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiRmD wrote:
Thanks you for your help. I will have a look to the vmware solution. Thus, can you explain me a bit what is the main objective to set-up a network that runs like a separate machine inside vmware ?

Having it runs like a separate machine can let our virtual machine acts like another network node on the same network. Which means it can use and serve as Windows NT Domain, Active Directory, Samba server, etc... on the network. For basic network application/clients, NAT will do just fine. It really depends what you are trying to do with the virtual machine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index 中文 (Chinese) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: