OpenOffice SMP Build
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HuskyDog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice SMP Build Reply with quote

UPDATE: Under OpenOffice 2.0, you need to set WANT_MP rather than WANT_DISTCC.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: OpenOffice will only use multiple processors when building if you set WANT_DISTCC="true"

Openoffice takes a LONG time to build! Why not use more than one processor? Why not indeed. I have MAKEOPTS="-j2" set in make.conf and many ebuilds go faster because of it, but not Openoffice. It still resolutely uses a single processor and takes about 30 hours to build on my system. I had always assumed that this was because Openoffice wouldn't do a parallel make. However, yesterday whilst looking through the ebuild I noticed the following lines:
Code:

# Should the build use multiprocessing? Not enabled by default, as it tends to break
export JOBS="1"
if [ "${WANT_DISTCC}" == "true" ]; then
        export JOBS=`echo "${MAKEOPTS}" | sed -e "s/.*-j\([0-9]\+\).*/\1/"`
fi

{JOBS} is then used to set a value in the configure stage and you get a multi-processor build.

So, I am here to say three things:

1) If you have more than one processor and want a faster OpenOffice build, set WANT_DISTCC='true'. It worked for me! (YMMV)

2) Can anyone guess why the variable is called WANT_DISTCC? I agree that distcc would be one way to a parallel build, but surely it is much more common to simply be using an SMP machine (I certainly am).

3) Would it be a good idea if this was a Use variable? If it was then it would show up when one did something line 'emerge -upv'. But perhaps the maintainers want to keep it obscure because it tends to cause lots of build time failures.

Anyway, I hope that this helps some people to a shorter Openoffice build.

Last edited by HuskyDog on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
razer
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice SMP Build Reply with quote

HuskyDog wrote:

1) If you have more than one processor and want a faster OpenOffice build, set WANT_DISTCC='true'. It worked for me! (YMMV)

Thanks for this, Openoffice build time on my P4 HT was really too high without this
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: