grub again....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfdsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: grub again.... Reply with quote

Hi,

GRUB GRUB GRUB :-((((

i have two ide's and one scsi
went fine through the installations, buildings and all the suff on scsi, then i wasn't sure if my bios will try to start bootloader from scsi and i installed grub to /dev/sda1 by
root (hd2,0)
setup (hd2,0)
btw sda1 is /boot
then i added in lilo.conf which i have on one of the ides
other=/dev/sda1
worked fine....
until i had a eird problem with the ide i have lilo on, i messed up with cables jumpers and reconfigured physical disks locations, the only thing which is still on the same place is sda, so finally i get lilo menu press same "gentoo" and it does not start, just lilo's message "Loading gentoo" and friendly "ctrl-alt-del" does not want to love me anymore..... (does it sound funny? no? at least i tried...)

so, the first thing i say is "damned, lets try to install grub to sda's mbr and will boot from there, i like gentoo!", i boot another distribution, chrooting, grubing:
root (hd2,0)
setup (hd2)
ok... shaking.... GRUB GRUB GRUB
fine, the number of my GRUBS grows... i can open a farm soon
ok, grub is broken... old good lilo is defenetly gonna solve it, chrooting emerging lilo.... vi lilo.conf, lilo{Enter}
reboot[Enter]
(enter was striked really hard)
LILO 80 80 80 80 80 ..... period....
so, i have no idea what it tries to tell me...
grub again....
same
lilo on another partition, grub'ing sda1... lilo'ing sda1...
nothing... absolutely
and even more, when i start X in chrooted gentoo, i have no mouse, i feel uncomfortable without my mouse
so... i tried to explain what i feel and i hope someone will take a look and will say "oh, god, im gonna help him !"
Thanks Dear All
P.S.
i dont post the menu, i think it is not relevant, does anyone knows how grub decides which hd is hd0 and which is hd69?
P.P.S. ill try to recover now the same config i had with jumpers and ide ports.... may be its fooling me... whish me luck, ill be glad to post here that it worked
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you searched the forums? This problem, or a similar one,
has come up before. Perhaps a solution has been found.
gfdsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, gentooned again :-)))))
disconnected both ide's, grub'ed as hd0,0 and hd0
worked...
but i want my ides back...
going to sleep
P.S. anyway... it was nice spending 5 hours on it...

2 kanuslupus
sure i did, and old mailing lists as well, and even man pages with info, you see, saying RTFM is not always the solution, somtimes WTFM is the one, and sometimes you have a problem which looks too complicated and differs from other, at least from your point of view, so i did find similiar problems, but all were just similiar, no clues, and as you see by the results it was really special, because noone tried to change hds configuration

forgot to mention, forum's search is far from perfect
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be the first to admin the forums search is less than perfect. I have had trouble
finding things I knew existed. However, it is also helpful information to post that you
have searched the forums. Then, let others know you found similar problems, but
none that had an answer, or that no answers worked for you. I was not just posting
that you should search first. Rather, I mentioned that I had seen a similar problem
that you might find helpful.

If all I have to say is RTFM, I will generally just not post... others can take care of
the RTFM replies :D. I may suggest searching, but as in this example, I had seen a
similar problem and mentioned it.

Glad you made some progress on the problem.
gfdsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with you, that i ha d to add that i searched it, its just seems trivial for me to search first, actually the first thing i do when i see a problem which i dont know to solve, is typing www.google.com/linux, and only after a few hours of searching the net, i will ask someone's help. on the other hand, my post is not really a questin i would consider it just a story, imho its always good tohave some stories of problems solving, may be helpful for others, i know i'll solve it, and my explanation on how i did it can help others, which will come here looking for similiar problems

and the thread becomes off-topic :-)
gfdsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, finally i have all disks, just had to connect it and put the right boot priority, then rewrited boot sector when my scsi is (hd0).
learned a lot about grub, so if there are questions, ask....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: