Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drivers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should X 7.1 still be testing only because of closed source drivers (ati/nvidia)?
Yes!
55%
 55%  [ 254 ]
No!
37%
 37%  [ 172 ]
I don't care!
6%
 6%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 454

Author Message
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Dec 2005
Posts: 721
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
I vote yes because people that say no are just crying for something that is easily fixed by just unmasking it on /etc/portage/package.keyword. I am using ~x86 and I masked xorg 7.1 and thats not a problem for me so why should unmasking it be a problem for you?
Likewise, people that say yes are just crying for something that is easily fixed by just masking it on /etc/portage/package.mask. Goes both ways ;)
_________________
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB 7200rpm Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fb
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 631
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said no. I specifically choose my video card so I didn't have to depend on
proprietary driver on x86. My ppc system is already on 7.1.
The real problem is that portage doesn't play well with "reverse dependency".
I remember the mess of the last xorg ABI change in 6.8 if I remember
correctly. 6.8 was available when you where doing an emerge -puDv world
but once installed ati-driver was requesting 6.7 and a downgrade after the
upgrade. And you were ending up in a upgrade/downgrade loop.

Portage should be able to handle that situation nicely and realise that it
cannot upgrade if there is other program holding you back.
Of course that was easier to do with a monolithic xorg than it is with a
modular one that has countless packages. But in effect this is a problem
of portage not handling this kind of dependency properly in my opinion.

Oh well, the world is not perfect and it doesn't affect me that much.
I wish I didn't have to pay the price for other people using proprietary drivers,
that's not a tab I should have to share.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PanzerKanzler
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Posts: 371
Location: Belgravia, London

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a silly question, but if the drivers DO work in X.Org 7.0, should it not be very simple for the X.Org developers to get them working in X.Org 7.1?
_________________
If you've got nothing nice to say, you're probably not alone...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Dec 2005
Posts: 721
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PanzerKanzler wrote:
Maybe a silly question, but if the drivers DO work in X.Org 7.0, should it not be very simple for the X.Org developers to get them working in X.Org 7.1?
No, the ABI changed between 7.0 and 7.1. Funnily enough, apparently an nvidia engineer is responsible for the change, and yet nvidia don't support it... I think I saw that on the nvnews forums.
_________________
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB 7200rpm Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PanzerKanzler wrote:
Maybe a silly question, but if the drivers DO work in X.Org 7.0, should it not be very simple for the X.Org developers to get them working in X.Org 7.1?

It was an intentional change by nVidia to add xv support or some such, it has no bearing on compiled drivers, only binaries, ATi's drivers work with 7.1 afaik, it's just nVidia lagging behind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 2056

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: ATI Open Source Drivers Reply with quote

dberkholz wrote:
Q-collective wrote:
candrews wrote:
I can use AIGLX (well, I should be able to run it soon, I seem to get white window outlines on a blue background, but that's another story) and I can always run the latest kernel and the latest Xorg... can't do that with ATI.

Wasn't the r300 driver still a bit too primitive for that stuff?
I'm using the r300 driver myself for about a year now but didn't know they were that close to be honest.

Works pretty well, really. I tested it on a few games recently:
http://spyderous.livejournal.com/73449.html
http://spyderous.livejournal.com/72672.html

Basically it works on everything but Doom 3.

I know it works with games, I was talking about aiglx.
Wanna have a game of ET? ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 2056

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
PanzerKanzler wrote:
Maybe a silly question, but if the drivers DO work in X.Org 7.0, should it not be very simple for the X.Org developers to get them working in X.Org 7.1?

It was an intentional change by nVidia to add xv support or some such, it has no bearing on compiled drivers, only binaries, ATi's drivers work with 7.1 afaik, it's just nVidia lagging behind.

Nope, fglrx doesn't work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
Nope, fglrx doesn't work.


That comes as no supprise to me, I havn't tried it personally, nor do I care to, thus the 'afaik'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eternal Annoyance
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Jan 2003
Posts: 9
Location: Gouda, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a good idea to make the binary only ati and nvidia driver ebuilds block xorg 7.1 from being emerged. This would allow source only people to upgrade, while ppl with binary only drivers wouldn't get upgraded until their drivers are upgraded.

That makes me another person in the 'no' camp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dberkholz
Developer
Developer


Joined: 18 Mar 2003
Posts: 1008
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eternal Annoyance wrote:
Maybe it's a good idea to make the binary only ati and nvidia driver ebuilds block xorg 7.1 from being emerged. This would allow source only people to upgrade, while ppl with binary only drivers wouldn't get upgraded until their drivers are upgraded.

They already do block. The thing is, blocks don't prevent new versions from showing up in your emerge world, they just make it fail with big red Block lines.

A summary:
Now, everybody but ati/nvidia binary driver users wants to unmask in package.keywords
If I unmasked 7.1, all binary driver users would mask in package.keywords
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kensai
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Mar 2004
Posts: 568
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismortimore wrote:
Kensai wrote:
I vote yes because people that say no are just crying for something that is easily fixed by just unmasking it on /etc/portage/package.keyword. I am using ~x86 and I masked xorg 7.1 and thats not a problem for me so why should unmasking it be a problem for you?
Likewise, people that say yes are just crying for something that is easily fixed by just masking it on /etc/portage/package.mask. Goes both ways ;)

Ohh I didn't made it clear, I use ~x86 so I had to do what you say mask xorg 7.1 so whos crying? I've done that already. I just believe that until a new nvidia driver comes out that adress this problem (which probably will be in August) xorg 7.1 should be masked for stable arch since stable can't afford to make such a bad move and leave nvidia users wondering what happened why a block all of a sudden in my production machine?
_________________
Gentoo: Gigabyte: nFORCE 2: nVIDIA GeForce 6600: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Perspective of a Thinking Human Being
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sepultado
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Jun 2004
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: I Just linked the modules of my Nvidia Reply with quote

all i did to make it work .. i mean "xorg 7.1"--- it was linking the drivers from:
#ln -s /usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so /usr/X11R6/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/

for the nvidia drivers to work.. and it did great.. its working just fine!! :D
_________________
Every human has something to give.. but sometimes they are just too dumb to know it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VinzC
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Posts: 4672
Location: Theux (Belgium)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question doesn't make sense to me. Why?

Because the problem was deemed to occur since the day Linux distros included support for [closed sourced] drivers from companies such as nVidia. Had it been for video cards from Duschmol company (a small 5-6 workers company in the south east of Khazakbekistan) nobody would cry "yes" or "no".

Any distribution that supports drivers from nVidia or ATI exposes itself to such kinds of delicate question: how far should such a support go? Whetever the reasons for supporting these closed drivers were now they (the people responsible for making these choices) have to cope with these decisions and assume them.

If a distribution doesn't support nVidia or ATI it's annoying - given the number of people who run Linux *and* have an nVidia card.

Xorg 7.1 is stable but with nVidia/ATI. It's annoying.

[Little Digression: Start]
What does a user want?

What do I want from my system? I want my system to work out right out the box. Even if I don't admit it publicly yet, I've always had that secret wish anything I use worked straight out the box. Maybe because I'm lazy, who knows ;-).

But I'm ready to pay attention to certain things and make some efforts in cases it just doesn't work at once. And don't make me wrong: I didn't say I'd switch to something else if it doesn't do what I expect...

Does Gentoo work right out the box? from my own experience: almost always. If something doesn't work at once I have two options: either throw it out or spend [from a little up to a considerable amount of] time to make it work.
[Little Digression: End]

I don't want Gentoo to put any other constraint on me but the ones I've responsibly chosen. If I chose to run stable stuff only and portage once tells me I have to mask things because it "thinks" something will break otherwise, then I'll probably and eagerly do what I'm required to do. But I won't be very glad.

Gentoo certainly pleased many people by supporting closed sourced video drivers.

Are you sure you're ready to bother [all these | millions of] people asking them to mask Xorg 7.1 themselves because it just doesn't work with 3D acceleration yet? I personnally don't even care the reason. I want [managing] my system to require as few as possible from me.

I'm talking about satisfying people and not putting constraints that are easily avoided: it's just a matter of putting a '~' sign or not. I think it's easier than requiring people to mask XOrg when needed, isn't it?

Since Gentoo doesn't handle conditional upgrades yet (i.e. upgrade XOrg only if there's no proprietary display drivers that are known not to work yet) there is a choice to make. And that choice is not based on whether Gentoo depends on commercial interrests but on whether Gentoo wants to avoid bothering people by requiring them to mask XOrg by themselves.

If Gentoo tells me "We have put XOrg 7.1 in the testing branch because we wanted you to continue working with your system the same way as you did before - be aware that you can't use 3D acceleration with nvidia drivers under XOrg 7.1" then I'm happy because it denotes a responsible decision. And that's what I expect from Gentoo.

The question is based on what we use Gentoo for. It is no technical issue. But a technical issue forces the question. And masking XOrg 7.1 won't of course mean Gentoo is dependent on commercial interrests but that it is caring for not bothering people doing things portage could have done by itself.

I love [people behind] portage because it takes care of dependencies very well. And its ability to seamlessly update stuffs and dependencies when they're stable enough litterally seduced me. I take it as if Gentoo wanted my system to be as pleasant as possible - and it fulfilled my hopes much more than I could expect. But I hate when a sync/update stops and tells me such package blocks the upgrade, especially when a package is so important as XOrg.

If you consider any single Gentoo user is a responsible computer-litterate, go for unmasking. If you want not to bother any Gentoo user (including the least computer-litterate) you'd better keep it away until it's ok with the ABI.

Or you could even enhance portage by adding a feature that prevents XOrg from upgrading if nVidia or ATI drivers are used and 3D acceleration is enabled in xorg.conf - why not? Then everybody is happy.

At last the user should always have the choice: keep it like this (i.e. "testing") unless you know what you are doing. If you unmask 7.1 completely nobody will have that choice.
_________________
Gentoo addict: tomorrow I quit, I promise!... Just one more emerge...
GNU/Linux user #369763
“Wow! I feel root”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 2517
Location: Ulm, Germany, Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
Gentoo's Social Contract states:
Quote:
Any external contributions to Gentoo (in the form of freely-distributable sources, binaries, metadata or documentation) may be incorporated into Gentoo provided that we are legally entitled to do so. However, Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI).
Maybe it's just me, but waiting for new proprietary drivers before marking X11R7.1 as stable makes Gentoo seem dependent on that company (in this case, Nvidia and ATi) to update its drivers. This, in my mind, violates the spirit of Gentoo's social contract, in that legally-redistributable non-F/OSS stuff should be nothing more than an optional add-on. In this case, it is this non-F/OSS stuff which is preventing Gentoo (temporarily) from moving forward in its development.

My two cents...


Yes, I think in the same way.
But in my eyes Gentoos Core-System just include the real Operating System: Kernel, GLIBC and other Libs and a Shell (Bash, ZSH), just the System. Because X11 is not really a part of the System, and where should we make a border: Is a Desktop like Gnome or KDE also a part of the System? Enlightenment? Whats about Mplayer?

But all in all, the drivers breaks the GPL! And this is the point, the good binary-driver support of Gentoo is nice, but nothing more. But on the other side, there are some ugly bugs with glxgears and glxinfo

Quote:

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31

_________________
Just you and me strogg!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EAD
Guru
Guru


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 352

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that Gentoo should be bleeding edge, mean that even if Xorg is not good with nvidia, we still want it.
Now, people who have problems , should try to fix them by their own or use Xorg 7.0.
I think the real problem here is Nvidia and ATI who don't really want people with Linux use their hardware .
If they do want, then putting a realy working driver soon, will be more then nice.
beside there are many other things that don't have good support in Xorg, like all Microsoft products.
I think it is a Service of customers in this corporation that is inadequate, and people like us that spend a lot of money by buing Nvidia and other companys products, shuld complain about it.

We do deserv get a right working product with a full software support.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
olger901
l33t
l33t


Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 606

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My notebook has an ATI card, so my vote is to wait to mark it stable because it is rather annoying of having to mark all those dependancies unstable manually, next to that it may be confusing for new Gentoo users.
_________________
Favorite Quote: "The most profound technologies are those that disappear"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pa4wdh
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 247

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if (this_is_only_about_closed_source_drivers) {
answer="no"; // 7.1 should be available
because="this is all about open source, isn't it ?";
} else {
answer="yes"; // 7.1 should not be available
because="There are also other issues";
}

[switching back to human language]

Quote:

If we are really this passionate about having a good performing graphics card we should petition nVidia and ATi to both propose a graphics chip free of IP


I don't know if it's true, but i've read stories that even ATI/nvidia don't know exactly what is who's IP, and just to make sure they won't be sued they don't even release specs. Even if they want, they just can't.
If this story is true (and i beleve it is), it's a good example how closed designs messed up itself, and can't go back.

I don't think gentoo should be held back by closed source crap, so unmask Xorg 7.1 when all other issues are solved. (That's the risk of closed third party drivers). I'm not too familiar with the inner working of portage, but is it possible to let the system decide which version to install based on the USE flags ? For example a USE flag "no3rdparty" which, when set, would install 7.1, and when not set the highest version which works with the closed source drivers. In this case, it won't break anything, and if you set your use flasgs ok (who doesn't :-) ) you'll get the lastest stable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoschi wrote:
But all in all, the drivers breaks the GPL! And this is the point, the good binary-driver support of Gentoo is nice, but nothing more. But on the other side, there are some ugly bugs with glxgears and glxinfo


The point here is, do we really want to break countless systems over a philosophical issue? ATi and nVidia are the only two GPU vendors who supply reasonable performance for a reasonable price, as such, most people use them. Their GPUs contain heaps of IP which prevents them from opening the sourcecode of their drivers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Icer
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 395
Location: @home

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, let it be in testing.

I can wait. Still it doesnt mean that I'm happy about the situation.

What are the advantages/disadvantages between the 7.0 and 7.1 for a nvidia users? What works? what doesnt? Why is that important?

I'm thinking upgrading from 6.8.x to the modular but it's not necessary to update at all. Is it so that the only advantage at this point is to go throught the unmerge merge process at this point and avoid that later?
_________________
Everything can be done. There's just a longer delivery time for impossible projects.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rek2
Guru
Guru


Joined: 05 Jan 2003
Posts: 477
Location: Boston USA/Barcelona Spain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strip out all the propietary shit from gentoo! if anyone needs it they can make a new portage for propietary ala debian way.
_________________
http://www.dailyradical.org
http://www.binaryfreedom.info
use jabber!!! sing on now, register an account:
http://jabber.binaryfreedom.info
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VinzC
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Posts: 4672
Location: Theux (Belgium)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAD wrote:
I think it is a Service of customers in this corporation that is inadequate, and people like us that spend a lot of money by buing Nvidia and other companys products, shuld complain about it.

We do deserv get a right working product with a full software support.

Remember this discussion is held not because nVidia is inadequate but because changes were made in an OpenSource project that made closed source drivers inappropriate... Even if we deserve quality we are in no position to demand anything from an industry which follows a different marketing model.

Yes, changes in XOrg were introduced by some nVidia dev's - they have to deal with that. Remember nVidia is also a Gentoo sponsor which provides great drivers for the Linux community. We're in no position to demand anything. I wouldn't like to see anybody's face when nVidia retires from supporting Linux at all! They make efforts supporting Linux as much as their commercial model allows them to. Nothing forces them to provide anything to the Linux community.

If nVidia had decided to make changes which make XOrg incompatible with their drivers, then, yes, we would be in a position that would grant us the right for a demand. But here is the other way round. I'm not saying we should be thankful or anything but rather than talking about "the crappy proprietary stuff" (you didn't say that) we should stay humble and modest. Otherwise we'd have no choice but stay with the Windows world and our complaints because useful, bleeding edge components perform best but under Linux...

Ever since Gentoo supported proprietary stuff such a dilemma was deemed to happen. And now asking to remove proprietary stuff from Gentoo is all but making sense. The decisions that led Gentoo to supporting proprietary stuff were made carefully and legitimately by sensible people. These reasons must not be forgotten because I'm sure that people who made their decision at that time could not ignore what we're experiencing now. And I doubt they ever were thinking of getting rid one day of the proprietary "dictature"...

If we accept to deal with proprietary or binaries that companies provide then we can ask them to enhance them, which in turn will prove those companies they have some interrest in enhancing/keeping their software or drivers up to date. If we reject these products, companies won't have any reason to go on the Linux way.

We all have to make compromises and Gentoo is one of them. I'd say the best one. Hence considerations like "throw those bastards off the way" (you didn't say that) have no place here.
_________________
Gentoo addict: tomorrow I quit, I promise!... Just one more emerge...
GNU/Linux user #369763
“Wow! I feel root”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kensai
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Mar 2004
Posts: 568
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAD wrote:
I do think that Gentoo should be bleeding edge, mean that even if Xorg is not good with nvidia, we still want it.
Now, people who have problems , should try to fix them by their own or use Xorg 7.0.
I think the real problem here is Nvidia and ATI who don't really want people with Linux use their hardware .
If they do want, then putting a realy working driver soon, will be more then nice.
beside there are many other things that don't have good support in Xorg, like all Microsoft products.
I think it is a Service of customers in this corporation that is inadequate, and people like us that spend a lot of money by buing Nvidia and other companys products, shuld complain about it.

We do deserv get a right working product with a full software support.

Tremendously wrong. Stable should not, and is not bleeding edge.if you want bleeding edge use testing there you can use Xorg 7.1 and notice, even Arch Linux which tends to be more bleeding edge isn't switching to XOrg 7.1 until the nvidia driver fix. Notice Gentoo calls their safe brach stable not current like Arch Linux which has never been satble.
_________________
Gentoo: Gigabyte: nFORCE 2: nVIDIA GeForce 6600: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Perspective of a Thinking Human Being
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spielc
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 451

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAD wrote:

I think the real problem here is Nvidia and ATI who don't really want people with Linux use their hardware .


that is definitely NOT the reason behind it. It's the market share of linux in comparison to Windows (and compared to Windows the market share of Linux and all the other alternative OS is tiny)!

Btw. Nvidia's work on the linux drivers is actually quite good just ATI has so much problems (and too less personal working on these problems) with linux.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spielc wrote:
EAD wrote:

I think the real problem here is Nvidia and ATI who don't really want people with Linux use their hardware .


that is definitely NOT the reason behind it. It's the market share of linux in comparison to Windows (and compared to Windows the market share of Linux and all the other alternative OS is tiny)!

Btw. Nvidia's work on the linux drivers is actually quite good just ATI has so much problems (and too less personal working on these problems) with linux.


I've had virtually no problems with my ATi card since the latest driver release, that's just FUD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Sep 2004
Posts: 2289
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes for the following reason, which has nothing to do with the origin of the sources for nvidia/ati cards

Gentoo has decided to include binary drivers for nvidia/ati in its stable releases. As that it has an obligation that everything that
is marked stable should work together. The user/administrators who run emerge -u world on their machines should not find
them broken after stable upgrade.

Gentoo may have decided not to take responsibility for binary drivers (as part of gentoo, not what is inside), and keep them
as unsupported e-builds. I believe we would not have liked it.

Saying that, I would actually have considered marking xorg-7.1 stable, but dowgrading nvidia/ati drivers to ~arch
(plus placing <=7.0 dependency requirements and having them blocking 7.1 installation)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum