Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems something related with agpgart module

remove agpgart completely from kernel (on 64-bit systems, you will need to disable "K8 GART" first)
then after installation of kernel/nvidia edit xorg.conf and set nvidia option "1".
If you do have more that one kernel then se it to "3"

If you do have agpgart set as a module or build in the kernel, NvAGP will never be loaded even with xorg option "2"

On some systems simple blacklisting of agp works so you don't need to rebuild kernel without AGPGART.

I would suggest to check nvidia linux forums: it seems that there is more than one reason of infamous X freezing while mouse works.
here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well vipernicus lots of congrats, it compiled flawlessly here one more time and I'm having no problem. Thanks for a great release. :wink: And thjanks for mantaining compatability with the nvidia driver some patchstes aren't doing this.
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broch wrote:
remove agpgart completely from kernel (on 64-bit systems, you will need to disable "K8 GART" first)
then after installation of kernel/nvidia edit xorg.conf and set nvidia option "1".

If you do have agpgart set as a module or build in the kernel, NvAGP will never be loaded even with xorg option "2"

On some systems simple blacklisting of agp works so you don't need to rebuild kernel without AGPGART.

I would suggest to check nvidia linux forums: it seems that there is more than one reason of infamous X freezing while mouse works.
here:

Hi, (sorry, i almost forgot to answer...)
Thanks for the suggestion.
I already knew agpgart workaround, unfortunately i had previously sweat with those freezings... but that was a long time ago.
I was only a little shocked to see that come back and with emission that are my favorite kernel source... I already use Option "NvAGP" "1" and don't take much time removing agpgart from kernel since i had yet other blocking problems with suspend2.

It was just as report things that i post about the problem. 2.6.17 are very new and i think vipernicus can improve it more with reports of problems then with posts just saying 'great works here' (those, of course, are good too, specially for the moral of devs :))

btw, i replace the suspend2-2.2.6 by the new 2.2.7 and suspend-to-ram still fails.
This time i decided to patch a pure vanilla source with only suspend2 patch and... it fails too!!
So it's not a emission problem but a 2.6.17 problem. It happen only with my specific hardware?... Suspend2 site refers that it is considered stable for 2.6.17 series...
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuiP wrote:
broch wrote:

here:

Hi, (sorry, i almost forgot to answer...)
Thanks for the suggestion.
I already knew agpgart workaround, unfortunately i had previously sweat with those freezings... but that was a long time ago.
I was only a little shocked to see that come back and with emission that are my favorite kernel source... I already use Option "NvAGP" "1" and don't take much time removing agpgart from kernel since i had yet other blocking problems with suspend2.

It was just as report things that i post about the problem. 2.6.17 are very new and i think vipernicus can improve it more with reports of problems then with posts just saying 'great works here' (those, of course, are good too, specially for the moral of devs :))

btw, i replace the suspend2-2.2.6 by the new 2.2.7 and suspend-to-ram still fails.
This time i decided to patch a pure vanilla source with only suspend2 patch and... it fails too!!
So it's not a emission problem but a 2.6.17 problem. It happen only with my specific hardware?... Suspend2 site refers that it is considered stable for 2.6.17 series...

Oddly enough, it is a known issue. Suspend-to-ram has been broken for quite some time. Alot of your problems is why I am holding off on another release. Whenever 2.6.17 seems to stabilize and fix at least one of your problems, I will produce a maintenance release with that fix. I appreciate your testing!
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
Oddly enough, it is a known issue. Suspend-to-ram has been broken for quite some time. Alot of your problems is why I am holding off on another release. Whenever 2.6.17 seems to stabilize and fix at least one of your problems, I will produce a maintenance release with that fix. I appreciate your testing!

Well, thanks vipernicus.
I didn't know it was a know issue. I search around but didn't find much and suspend2 bugzilla seems not work entirely, bugs search always produce errors and no bug reports list...

Anyway, great work, as usual. I'll been wainting and will not miss it for sure :)

OT, i suggested your 2.6.16-emission4 on a Ubuntu Howto Usplash replacement and people that prefer to use FBsplash instead on that distro are now mostly using emission4.
Your work is well appreciated too outside this distro frontiers ;)

edit: Just a quick one. I rebuild the kernel as the suggestion of broch, without agpgart, and it still freezes...
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you with alsa compile problems, please do not use alsa-driver unless you are using the masked .12_rc1 release. (You must then unmask all the alsa .12_rc1 releases to get it to work) For those who don't want to unmask, please use the inbuilt kernel drivers for alsa.

Thank you RuiP for your recommendation of Evolution Mission Kernel Patchset. I posted asking for bug reports in that thread, so hopefully we will be able to fix more. (I asked because some users said they were having issues with 2.6.17).

Furthermore, I think I have found the cause for splashutils not compiling. And that is because of the nr_tty patch. I'll have vipernicus test that one out, but it should be it.
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:

Thank you RuiP for your recommendation of Evolution Mission Kernel Patchset. I posted asking for bug reports in that thread, so hopefully we will be able to fix more. (I asked because some users said they were having issues with 2.6.17).

Furthermore, I think I have found the cause for splashutils not compiling. And that is because of the nr_tty patch. I'll have vipernicus test that one out, but it should be it.

hi nesl247, yes i read it your post there. The original suggestion on the how-to was a complicated collage of several patchs, that even require manual intervention on .rej files. Emission and beyound was natural recomendations, besides beeing easier they are greater :) Stable and faster, so knn move on to emission too.
I post here (out-of-topic, sorry) just to alert you that the link you post on ubuntu to emission bugzila is dead. And from emission forum link too, gives "500 internal server error"

What should be then the right nr_tty, default is 63 if i remeber well...
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes 63 is right, but I think the whole patch is the problem.

In regards to bugzilla, yes it seems to be down.. I don't understand the issue yet, so I'll have to edit that post and say post in the forums.

Edit: The NR_TTY patch IS the problem. I reversed it in my kernel sources, and splashutils compiles fine. I know the problem too, but I need to talk with vipernicus on a fix. The problem is that in includes/linux/tty.h it references NR_TTY_DEVICES, but that is set in .config which isn't included in that file. So we will have to make a patch that includes .config if it isn't already.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, for those of you who can't compile splashutils because of an CONFIG_NR_TTY_DEVICES error, can you please try this:

Code:
# cd /usr/src/linux
# wget http://distfiles.evolution-mission.org/emission-sources/splashutils_nr_tty_devices_fix.patch
# patch -p0 < splashutils_nr_tty_devices_fix.patch

Here is a command chain for those of you who just want to copy and paste
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux && wget http://distfiles.evolution-mission.org/emission-sources/splashutils_nr_tty_devices_fix.patch && patch -p0 < splashutils_nr_tty_devices_fix.patch
silverter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Folk,

I can't seem to be able to compile svgalib_helper from media-libs/svgalib-1.9.24 to compile against this kernel source. It complains about missing devfs in the kernel source tree. I think I'm missing something. I know devfs is deprecated or will be deprecated and my system runs on pure udev. Why dows svgalib_helper need devfs or how can I get it to use udev instead.

tnx and regards,

PS: This is the error message I get :
Code:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/threeDKit'
 * Preparing svgalib_helper module
make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper CLASS_CFLAGS= modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-emission2'
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/main.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/i810.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/interrupt.o
/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/main.c:20:35: error: linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/main.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-emission2'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-libs/svgalib-1.9.24 failed.

vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverter wrote:
Hello Folk,

I can't seem to be able to compile svgalib_helper from media-libs/svgalib-1.9.24 to compile against this kernel source. It complains about missing devfs in the kernel source tree. I think I'm missing something. I know devfs is deprecated or will be deprecated and my system runs on pure udev. Why dows svgalib_helper need devfs or how can I get it to use udev instead.

tnx and regards,

PS: This is the error message I get :
Code:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/threeDKit'
 * Preparing svgalib_helper module
make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper CLASS_CFLAGS= modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-emission2'
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/main.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/i810.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/interrupt.o
/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/main.c:20:35: error: linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper/main.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/svgalib-1.9.24/work/svgalib-1.9.24/kernel/svgalib_helper] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-emission2'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-libs/svgalib-1.9.24 failed.

That's because devfs is removed from emission2. I will include devfs in emission3, which should be out tonight.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: