Should I buy this computer??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorofUnivrse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Should I buy this computer?? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a sweet deal through work... $800 off high-end Dell Dimension desktops in addition to another 15% off the discounted price. So I'm looking at getting a Dimension E510 with:
* 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x1GB)
* 2.8Ghz Pentium D (800Mhz FSB)
* 250GB Harddrive
* 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Zomg
* 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory

which comes out to slightly over 1000 bucks. I think it's a good deal in general, but my thoughts are
* Maybe I should pass this deal up and wait for next-gen Intel processors, hoping a similar deal will come back through work
* ATI Radeon X600 - I want to load Gentoo on this machine, do radeon's drivers still suck so much that I'm just burning money?

What do you guys think? I'm not so sure I want to buy this computer if I'm going to get royally screwed on the video card end. Is it worth it to wait for the next intel processors to arrive? At that time, AMD will slash prices and we'll probably be getting a lot more bang for our buck as consumers from both Intel and AMD.
clintpatty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends what hardware you have now
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this computer?? Reply with quote

EmperorofUnivrse wrote:
Hi all,

I have a sweet deal through work... $800 off high-end Dell Dimension desktops in addition to another 15% off the discounted price. So I'm looking at getting a Dimension E510 with:
* 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x1GB)
* 2.8Ghz Pentium D (800Mhz FSB)
* 250GB Harddrive
* 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Zomg
* 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory

which comes out to slightly over 1000 bucks. I think it's a good deal in general, but my thoughts are
* Maybe I should pass this deal up and wait for next-gen Intel processors, hoping a similar deal will come back through work
* ATI Radeon X600 - I want to load Gentoo on this machine, do radeon's drivers still suck so much that I'm just burning money?

What do you guys think? I'm not so sure I want to buy this computer if I'm going to get royally screwed on the video card end. Is it worth it to wait for the next intel processors to arrive? At that time, AMD will slash prices and we'll probably be getting a lot more bang for our buck as consumers from both Intel and AMD.

2gb = $200
Pentium = $100
HD = $100
Monitor = $300 (Unsure.. 20" widescreen with 8ms go for $200-400..)
Video = $60
Mobo = $100
Case + PSU = $100

200+100+100+400+60+100 = $860

I did off-head estimates, going higher than they're probably worth. I'd rather build a similar/better one for the same price without all of the dell crap. Considering a AMD64 AM2 3500+ is only $110, etc, etc..

Overall, great if your looking for a Dell system. I hear everyone getting good deals off there boss, not me.
davascript
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus if you build your own you know your drives wer enot bought in bulk. also if you keep waiting for new industry standards all you will be doing is waiting to spend more. buy a 3ghz p 4 HT or and amd64 that isnt too exp and you will be happy. 19 inch lg flatron 1980 is going for 225 on newegg right now. who need the 1 inch if its gonna be 160 dollars more
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this computer?? Reply with quote

EmperorofUnivrse wrote:

Wait for conroe, it's only a month or two away and it spanks everything that came before it red raw in all areas.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Off the Wall.
Doesn't look gentoo related, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
EmperorofUnivrse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I have a laptop with 512mb RAM, Mobility Radeon 9700, and a AMD 64 3200+. I don't like it because it runs hot and noisy, and I felt like burning some cash.

I'm going to wait. I read about the video card and, frankly, it's a terrible card. Horrible card. So I think I'll wait for Conroe to come out and then buy a smoking processor.

Thanks,
Josh
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this computer?? Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
Wait for conroe, it's only a month or two away and it spanks everything that came before it red raw in all areas.

Plus there's this price drop doohickey on AMD's that I keep hearing about (about the 24th of this month ??), mind we'll probably end up paying the same for 'em over here in the UK.

(JB currently eyeing up an X2 3800 ..)
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early benchmarks are showing Intel Core 2 Duos (as low as the E6600) thoughougly trashing AMD's FX-62 in practically all benchmarks with exception of raw memory bandwidth, which doesn't matter as much in the real world. If I was getting a new system, that's what I would be gunning for, a £730 CPU getting spanked by a £250 CPU with shared 4mb cache?.. yum
drizek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the video card is a POS. either get a similar nvidia card(better drivers) or just get a high-end nvidia card if you want to do gaming.
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy hell, buy dell

Misanthropy 2.0 - enough hate to go around
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: