Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Error loading key mappings- Anybody understand?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Error loading key mappings- Anybody understand? Reply with quote

Hi, Sparc people.

I originally posted this under the hardware section (wasn't sure of a better category), but no response to date. As i'm running an Ultra 60, I should have tried here, first!

I've just installed Gentoo, after not being able to get X configured correctly under Debian Sarge; so, i'd appreciate if you would forgive my stupid questions :-). Here goes....

On boot, I get the following error message/ alert:

Loading key mappings......
/sbin/rc: line 532: 686 killed /bin/loadkeys -q ${WINDOWKEYS_KEYMAP} ${KEYMAP} ${EXTENDED_KEYMAPS} >/dev/null

*Error loading key mappings

It looks like a key map is attempting to be loaded, failing, so being sent to /dev/null.

I have a Sun Type 5 keyboard which works just fine. I don't have any need for Windows mappings, so it would appear that this message is just annoying, rather than being a big problem.

Anybody know how I can solve it?

Thanks,

Chris.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple questions: (1) What kernel are you running; and, (2) what do you have for KEYMAP=xxx in /etc/rc.conf? For me, on a U60+type5, these work.

kernel-2.4.xx --- KEYMAP="sunkeymap"
kernel-2.6.xx --- KEYMAP="us"

If you are specifying a keymap that isn't present, you can get the error you are describing, but last I knew it then defaulted to something sensible.

(Check /usr/share/keymaps for possibilities; with kernel-2.6, don't use the /usr/share/keymaps/sun possibilities.)

Hope this helps,
Regards,
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferris,

Running 2.4.29. I've amended my rc file (after backing it up). I was using sunt5-uk. Can I re-read the rc file, to test it, without rebooting (as in the middle of emerge'ing X for the first time)?

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys.

The error message has gone (cool), but unfortunately my keys are no longer mapped correctly.

My letter keys seem to work, but unfortunately, special characters, such a pipe (|) (which is important), are no longer where they should be. As a type 5 UK keyboard user, my original setting worked, it just gave the annoying pause and error on start-up..

One solution, never turn off my box ;-)

Thanks,

Chris.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With kernel 2.4.29, so far as I can tell, KEYMAP="sunt5-uk" should work without error message. It might be worth asking about what is going on on the Freenode IRC #gentoo-sparc chat channel,
or filing a Bug report. Unfortunately, this is far from anything I work on so anything more from me would be pure speculation.

Sorry for the uninformative response,
Regards,
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferris,

Sorry about the delay to my reply...work!!

Thanks for your advice. Freenode could be a good idea. Really stupid question, how would I do that? I've got Mozilla Firefox running on another box at home (I'm at work), would I just google on Freenode IRC #gentoo-sparc chat channel, and log-on as a guest? Would I have to install a newsreader? Sorry, i've just never used chat.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Chris.
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just started from scratch with the 2006.0 discs and I too have the same problem with 2.4.32 kernel and sunt5-uk keymap....

Works perfectly fine with sunkeymap...albeit with the wrong key mappings!

Mark
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody had any joy with this as I have realised that my phpBB forum appears to be using the systems keymap...which is wrong.

Thanks,

Mark
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the two files (sunkeymap and sunt5-uk.map) they are completely different in layout. I assume this is why it croaks when anyone uses a 2.4 kernel.. Can I just edit the sunkeymap and change it to sterling?

Quote:
keycode 0x20 = three numbersign
control keycode 0x20 = Escape
alt keycode 0x20 = Meta_three
keycode 0x21 = four dollar dollar
control keycode 0x21 = Control_backslash
alt keycode 0x21 = Meta_four

to:

Quote:
keycode 0x20 = three sterling sterling
control keycode 0x20 = Escape
alt keycode 0x20 = Meta_three
keycode 0x21 = four dollar dollar
control keycode 0x21 = Control_backslash
alt keycode 0x21 = Meta_four
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This didnt work, it left me with a hung machine. I tried to load sunt5-uk using loadkeys and that just come back with

killed

Somebody must still be using a 2.4 kernel in the UK?

Mark
waldeck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Error loading key mappings- Anybody understand? Reply with quote

chris_andrew wrote:

*Error loading key mappings

Getting rid of an error message at the expense of scrambling your keys seems like a bad deal. I get the same error/warning message with 2.6 kernel and I just ignore it. I actually erased my /etc/conf.d/keymaps and now I get a differnt warning. Everything seems to be working quite well under Xorg, though.

Waldeck
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I originally installed a few years ago with a 2.6 kernel when vanilla sources was not masked during install, I got everything working ok using mapping 'uk'.

Now back to a 2.4 kernel, I do not know of anyone that has the keymap correct with the sunt5-uk mapping. As I mentioned earlier it appears to be a completely different format to sunkeymap.

I really do not want the hassle of changing kernels, just so I can get the correct keymap...

Mark
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you happen to have a USB keyboard (like a Blade 100, 150, 1000, 2000, etc) then you want to keep with the same keymap you had in 2.6

If you don't have a USB keyboard though (which is more common) and neither sunkeymap and sunt5-uk don't work, I'm not entirely sure. If you haven't already, try taking a look through /usr/share/doc/kbd-1.12-r7/html/kbd.FAQ.html (adjusting kbd-1.12-r7 to the version installed applicable)..
rongfei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also met the problem whit sun ultra 60.After lots of tries,i cope with the keymap error successfully.
If you runing within linux kernel 2.4.x , your sun type5 keyborad is right in the command line interface.But when you complie X.org ,you will find the confusing key.Changing the X.org keyboard driver can solve the confusion.
If you runing with linux kernel 2.6.x,there is a modules in the kernel.And complie the modules in your linux ,you will find your type5 keyborad can't work well even the command line interface. Actually you just del the keymaps shell script form the boot runlevels
rc-update del keymaps boot
,the keyboard will go well in both command line interface and X.org's X-windows.
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is specific to the 'UK' type Sun keyboards i.e. ones with a sterling currency symbol (and non USB). As of yet I have not found anyone that has got it working correctly on a 2.4 kernel, as the keymap file is definitely in error....

Considering migrating to 2.6 kernel....but don't really want the hassle...
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I have now migrated so wont be able to contribute anymore to this thread! I guess this will not come up again now that the 2.6 kernel is deemed stable..

Mark
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: