AMD Turion 64 X2 vs Intel Core Duo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guzhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: AMD Turion 64 X2 vs Intel Core Duo Reply with quote

I got months waiting to buy a laptop, first I thought about a macbook but then the Sony FE came.... I was not convinced of the performance of the Sony FE so I waited some time to see if something comes...

Just before I made my macbook order (almost criying since I read all the heat and discoloration problems) I entered the HP page and I saw the HP dv2000t/z model, I'm in love.... now my only problem is the procesor

They offer the Intel Core Duo at 2.16GHz and an AMD Turion 64 X2 at 1.60Ghz

which is the best option?
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult one, I wuv my AMD desktop but the Pentium-M's/Cores are very nice too.
From what I've heard, the Intel mobile chips have the edge for power consumption. That clock speed difference might offset that, but I suspect the Intel would outperform the AMD as a result. Of course, AMD dual-cores are a much nicer design than Intel ones, so the X2 might gain some back in that regard, but I think the Intel would have it overall.

To be honest, I haven't seen a comparison of the dual-core versions, so I'm guessing. You'd probably be best to have a look around the net for a real comparison. Either one will be pretty damn quick though, so on the bright side you can't go _too_ far wrong :-)
guzhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's no comparison on the net... well the only one in at the AMD site so...

I think I'll buy AMD since is dual core as the intel and it is 64bits.... thanks for your reply
DAharon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at their website, it appears that the dv2000z with the AMD chip is the only one available with the Nvidia video card. The intel chips come with those Graphics Accelerator things.
Plus the dv2000z comes with 533 MHz memory vs 400 for the Intel.
HP
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to get the Turion X2 with the larger cache.
guzhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrofreak wrote:
Be sure to get the Turion X2 with the larger cache.

I will :D
guzhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the performance of the Turion is inferior.... ? (1.6 < 2.16 GHZ)... since there is a Turion X2 at 2.0 Ghz I dont know why they did not offered
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching the HP laptops lately, too. I was actually rather disappointed by the one of which you are looking at. But it's the only laptop they offer with the Turion X2. I'm not actually ready to be getting a laptop yet, but I will about this time next year for college. I'm sure by then they will have a good selection of dual core turions.

If I were to need to purchase a laptop now though, I'd definitely go with the dv5000 or maybe the dv8000 series with the Intel Core Duo. As much as I don't really like the intel chips, added to the fact that they aren't 64-bit capable, I think the Core Duos would actually pack quite a punch still. Plus, I think both the dv5000 and dv8000 series look a lot slicker than the dv2000.

And if you've got the money, the nicely spec'd apple MacBookPros are amazing.

But, if you can wait, I'd wait for another HP model offering better Turion X2s.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dv2000 is a pretty nice laptop, just keep in mind it's not for a crazy gamer type.

I'm going to be a junior this year in college, for electrical engineering, and sure, most of the stuff I'm doing is word documents, fooling around on the ineternet, and a bit of gaming. However, this laptop will pack quite a punch for when I need to open up Matlab or similar (though sadly Matlab is not multithreaded...).

I'm waiting for Memron to come out. While I don't game much, I'd prefer the GeForce 7200 graphics card, which is rumored to come out with memron, and since I already have a laptop (that my dad's getting when I get a new one) I'm in no huge rush. I'd say unless you need to buy right away, try to wait for Memron to come out, if anything just so you might get a price drop on the current models.
valkyrite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for some more time (July 23).

Core 2 duo (merom) has excellent performance compared to a turion X2.

Intel's centrino platform is superior in performance to AMD's mobile counterpart.
guzhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiwaris wrote:

Intel's centrino platform is superior in performance to AMD's mobile counterpart.

give me probes, give me links!!!

the most powerfull laptop for gamers, The Alienware Aurora mALX, come with AMD Athlon FX-60 (Dual Core)... since the only thing Alienware thinks is raw performace,

me thinks AMD is better... but Im open, just give me probes
guzhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrofreak wrote:

And if you've got the money, the nicely spec'd apple MacBookPros are amazing.

ehm.... no... Macbook has almost all the features PLUS with 2000 dollars I can get something better, really..... and since I will install linux on it, MacOS X is not important.

I have been searching for days for a good laptop, the macbook/pro is the cutest one :)
valkyrite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guzhead wrote:
tiwaris wrote:

give me probes, give me links!!!

the most powerfull laptop for gamers, The Alienware Aurora mALX, come with AMD Athlon FX-60 (Dual Core)... since the only thing Alienware thinks is raw performace,

me thinks AMD is better... but Im open, just give me probes

At present, AMD has the crown in desktop performance (Athlon X2 and FX models are better than their intel counterparts). With core 2, it might change.

When you purchase a notebook, then some of the things you would be looking for is:

1. Does it produce too much noise, you cannot carry such notebooks into meeting rooms.
2. Does it chew too much battery?
3. Does it get hot?
blah blah

FX-60/62 are desktop chips (extreme editions) and are not intended for mobile segment. Desktop replacement notebooks however use such chips.

It ofcourse depends on the your intended use of the notebook.

Further, if you have money to go for Alienware systems, go for it, good for you. I intended to suggest a notebook in the $1500 range.

Another reason why one should upto July 23, is that once the new chips are launched, the price of older chips is going to reduce drastically (especially from AMD http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800). Intel is also planning price cuts on its current chips.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: