Broken system after glibc-2.4 to glibc-2.3.6-r3 downgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troworld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Broken system after glibc-2.4 to glibc-2.3.6-r3 downgrade Reply with quote

I've been running ~x86 happily for years on my desktop machine. I did an "emerge -u world" blindly the other day and portage pulled in the new glibc-2.4. I decided to downgrade back to 2.3.6-r3. It compiled okay, but right after compilation i got the following (typed out from screen, because i can't really copy/paste atm):

Code:

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache
sh: relocation error: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
>>> sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r3 merged.
[glibc-2.3.6-r3] bash: relocation error: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

sys-libs/glibc
    selected: 2.4
   protected: 2.3.6-r3
     omitted: none

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

>>> Waiting 5 seconds before starting...
>>> (Control-C to abort)...
>>> Unmerging in: 5 4 3 2 1
>>> Unmerging sys-libs/glibc-2.4...
No package files given... Grabbing a set.
[glibc-2.4] bash: relocation error: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
[glibc-2.4] bash: relocation error: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
!!! FAILED prerm: 127

Now, NOTHING runs. I can't ssh into my box, can't run any programs, can't even open a new terminal window.

Code:

# emerge clean
/usr/bin/python: relocation error: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

I know that glibc breakages are difficult to fix, but is there any way for me to restore glibc to a recent binary or something without reinstalling the whole system?

The applications that are already in memory are working fine, but I can't run any many crucial commands (basic things like "time" and "echo" work). Help? :|
troworld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of extra information: upgrade to glibc forced me to set nptlonly in make.conf. I unset it before trying to remerge the old glibc.

A bug is filed here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=126161
soltys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i had a similar problem and
Code:
ldconfig

helped me, meybe this is an solution to your problem:)
LRU #396051
troworld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soltys wrote:

Code:
ldconfig

I tried that before and it didn't really change anything. Thanks for the try, though.

The bug I filed got a less-than-useless response, so I'm going to try to reinstall glibc from a stage3 tarball. I tried to use the glibc binary from http://dev.gentoo.org/~avenj/bins but it didn't really help. I couldn't chroot into the system from the livecd (segmentation fault).
troworld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I just restored from a recent stage3 tarball and recompiled system twice. Everything seems to be back to normal.
sledgeas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: System broke after UPgrading glibc-2.3.6-r2 -> 2.4-r1 Reply with quote

Hello, hope you can help me with this, as I could not find guys with same-looking errors who were not DOWNgrading their glibc's.

I normally did an emerge --update system, after ~21 updates bunched in, glibc errored out with make.conf:USE="nptl nptlonly".
I updated my make.conf, etc-updated some 4 config files and went on with emerge.
glibc popped out with gcc being too old. I fixed this with gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-(my-newest-gcc-version).
Went on and now I and whole my system is such with the followings (i have still saved a working mc process, though i might be able to do some FS operations – if a quick answer comes from you guys...):
(I cannot do a copy paste of screen, as my that laptop is rendered totally unusable because of this error; good, that I have a PC at work, from where I type you now looking at my silent laptop desperately.... :/ )

Code:
sys-libs/glibc
selected: 2.3.6-r2
protected: 2.4-r1
omitted: none
<...>
Unmerging sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r2
No package files given... Grabbing a set.
[glibc-2.3.6.-r2] bash: relocation error /lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
[glibc-2.3.6.-r2] bash: relocation error /lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
!!! FAILED prerm: 127
sledge@laptevas ~ $ mc
mc: relocation error /lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
sledge@laptevas ~ $ sudo ldconfig
sudo: relocation error /lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
sledge@laptevas ~ $ ls
ls: relocation error /lib/libpthread.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
and so on...

directory /lib/ contains no other directory tls :(

Please, help me out in here guys, I'm in desperate need going on with my gentoo which is now totally broken (I hesitate from rebooting the system, as I have no gentoo live CD nearby).
sledgeas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried this:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~avenj/bins/i686/glibc-2.3.4.20040808.tbz2

Helped temporariliy – I COULD boot in my system, however after proceeding with emerge, unmerging of bzip2 ended up in the same way and from that point all programmes stopped funcioning (another system crash).
Just before that I managed to emerge --search ^glibc$ and it showed (surely) wrong version - 2.4-r1 installed (although after overextracting glibc..tbz2 binaries, the e.g. /lib folder now looks like this):

Code:
~ls -l /mnt/gentoo/lib/libc*
libc.so.5 points to libc-2.3.6.so
libc.so.6 -> libc-2.3.4.so
there are files:
libc-2.3.4.so
libc-2.3.6.so
libc-2.4.so

and after emerge bzip2 crashed whole system again (some kind of windows-like system file restore that of our portage appears to be :DD)
Code:
~ls -l /mnt/gentoo/lib/libc.so.6
libc.so.6 -> libc.so.5
(!)

From where should I start scrambling this mess?..
troworld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the problem I tried several binary packages and none really help, so I just reinstalled from stage 3. If there's a better way to do it, let me know. ;)
sledgeas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troworld wrote:
When I had the problem I tried several binary packages and none really help, so I just reinstalled from stage 3. If there's a better way to do it, let me know. ;)

I'll surely try your way, if there's no other less-painful answer out there :)

However, stage 3 contains an old version of glibc.
What did you do next in order to keep up-to-date with current portage (glibc-2.4-r1) ?
If you are staying with a stage 3 version, do you experience any incompatibilities?
troworld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I masked glibc-2.4 for a bit. I want to make sure there are no problems with it first. Also, I don't really feel like recompiling my entire system at the moment.

I didn't compile any packages against 2.4 when I had it, so I just used the 2005.1 LiveCD, used that glibc to remerge "system", then remerged again to make sure that the new glibc was used. "emerge -e world" followed right afterwards. No problems since then.
Martin Wagner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also tried to downgrade which broke my system. i didnt want to recompile my whole system, thats why i used the liveCD to recompile compile glibc-2.4. i copied all files to the partion of my system and linked by hand, because i couldnt chroot and use the corret way to install the llib. woks fine if you dont want to recompile everything.
hkfczrqj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troworld wrote:
When I had the problem I tried several binary packages and none really help, so I just reinstalled from stage 3.

Hello,

This is probably a stupid question. I recently screwed up my system (not quite, but it is annoying enough). So I decided that the only way to restore it properly is using a stage3 tarball. How do you exactly do that without losing your config? Do you backup /etc and your world file before untaring the stage3? Can you point me to a HOWTO or some other documentation? I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh what an annoying problem, I guess GCC just moved to x86 so we stable users got hit with it. You'd think after the ~x86 testing, they would have fixed it so as to either check for these USE flags first or just force them in the ebuild as they're required. Anyways, the solution to this problem is fairly simple:

[1]Edit /etc/make.conf and add the nptl and nptlonly USE flags.
[2]Run: gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1

Then continue with your emerge -uDv world...
arpac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi I had the same problem; so, what to do ? /bin/bb
then mv /lib/tls /
then you can try to remake your system (I had this after make an emerge -K gcc then a emerge -K glibc; after the mv, emerge --oneshot -Kav libtool rebuild glibc and that worls ^^)
saint_abroad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arpac wrote:
hi I had the same problem; so, what to do ? /bin/bb
then mv /lib/tls /
then you can try to remake your system (I had this after make an emerge -K gcc then a emerge -K glibc; after the mv, emerge --oneshot -Kav libtool rebuild glibc and that worls ^^)

Thank you for that tip! Saved me a world of trouble :D
jsnorman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You almost certainly are still going to have problems. All applications are built against your glibc including your toolchain and base system files, kernel etc. emerge -e world will not even fix that. At a minimum, you need to run two "emerge -e system" back to back to get to normal. Do a search for emwrap.sh it will help you rebuild your toolchain (only without doing repetitive full system rebuilds) and then you can follow emwrap with a emerge -e world.
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soltys wrote:
hi, i had a similar problem and
Code:
ldconfig

helped me, meybe this is an solution to your problem:)

thank you! i just recovered my NSLU2 (which is far away from where i am) remotly from a python error.
Code:
can't resolve symbol '__libc_stack_end'

that error is gone now :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: