Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Should have known a week earlier, Java...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacNetron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Should have known a week earlier, Java... Reply with quote

I found an "old" server (Sun Fire 280R - UltraSPARC III) at work doing nothing useful (it was turned off :oops:), so I decided it would be a good thing when it would become an application server / web container.
It had Sun Solaris 8 installed, but it didn't booted, which gave me a good excuse to put Gentoo on it. 8)
I knew at that time the issues about jdk1.5 as system vm vs. user vm (as I use Gentoo at home at my (x86) desktop), but didn't knew that at sparc Java was completely borked... That I found out only yesterday unfortunately, while reading -for instance- the "Java, gentoo, SRB"-topic after trying to emerge jboss...

"emerge -v jboss" resulted in adding about 30 entries in packages.unmask and about 8 entries in packages.keywords.
It finally runs, but results -quite early- in a
Code:
Error: failed /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/lib/sparc/client/libjvm.so, because libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
... Failed compiling Ant classes !
Bootstrap FAILED

!!! ERROR: dev-java/ant-core-1.6.2-r5 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1539:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 939:   Called src_compile
  ant-core-1.6.2-r5.ebuild, line 53:   Called die

Blaming the error on the blackdown-jdk, I now try to emerge the sun-jdk (after manually downloading from the sun-site):

Code:
emerge -v sun-jdk
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4.2.10-r2 to /
>>> checking ebuild checksums ;-)
>>> checking auxfile checksums ;-)
>>> checking miscfile checksums ;-)
>>> checking j2sdk-1_4_2_10-linux-i586.bin ;-)
>>> Unpacking source...
/usr/portage/dev-java/sun-jdk/sun-jdk-1.4.2.10-r2.ebuild: line 84: ./install.sfx: cannot execute binary file

!!! ERROR: dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4.2.10-r2 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1539:   Called dyn_unpack
  ebuild.sh, line 711:   Called src_unpack
  sun-jdk-1.4.2.10-r2.ebuild, line 84:   Called die

This is not funny.

[Q's] Can/should I repair somehow the emerge-script? Has somebody despite all thrown up barricades managed to get some java things running? Or should I admit defeat and download and install Solaris 10?

Thanks in advance...
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blackdown error is due to the missing shared library from libc. Try

Code:
emerge -av libstdc++-v3

and see if that helps.

The sun jdk one, and I don't mean to be a jerk here, sounds like you downloaded the jdk for the wrong platform. On the java.sun.com download page for jdk 1.4.2, the one listed under linux there is only for x86 platform, so the binary wouldn't run on your sparc platform as formats for the executables are different. At least that's what it sounds like is happening. Also, i didn't see a linux jdk for sparc there.

Good luck
MacNetron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite right. I'm going to try that.
I even found a topic in the FAQ-part of the forum GF23: Error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5 about it.
It's only something that I didn't expect to happen when using a clean install with the 2006.0 live cd...

About the sun jdk. It's from the correct site. I can't reproduce the complete url, but it was show when emerging the sun-jdk. You have to manually download it because you have to agree on it.
I downloaded first a wrong one, but then the emerge itself complains about the filesize, and now it is not complaining:
Code:

I let you know my results...

Greetings, Mac
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the compat thing helped.

Quote:
Code:

This is what leads me to believe that you have the wrong binary type. In the file it says i586-bin which implies a pentium class x86 processor. A sparc installation will not be able to use this executable format. I'm not sure why it told you to download that in portage but I can't see how it would possibly work.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you must have done something to the ebuild or added an entry into /etc/portage/package.keywords to even have it show that kind of output because it is masked on SPARC regardless of profile.
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
Also you must have done something to the ebuild or added an entry into /etc/portage/package.keywords to even have it show that kind of output because it is masked on SPARC regardless of profile.

You can't install Java on a Sparc. Now that's funny :-)
MacNetron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some "higher priority work", the story continues...

drjimmy42 wrote:
Weeve wrote:

You can't install Java on a Sparc. Now that's funny :-)

It's true, and that is not funny at all. :(

I've indeed added =dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4.2.10-r2 * to packages.keywords to enable the sun jdk. I want to be sure to have tried all things I can think of.

Now I'm following the guide Gentoo Linux GCC Upgrade Guide. Everything was going fine till
Code:
nova ~ # emerge -ep system

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating system dependencies... done!
[blocks B     ] sys-apps/pam-login (is blocking sys-apps/shadow-4.0.15-r2)

When I try to pretend emerge pam-login alone to try solving the blocking, it gets even more confusing:
Code:
nova ~ # emerge -av pam-login

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[blocks B     ] sys-apps/pam-login (is blocking sys-apps/shadow-4.0.15-r2)
[blocks B     ] >=sys-apps/shadow-4.0.14-r2 (is blocking sys-apps/pam-login-4.0.14)
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/shadow-4.0.15-r2 [4.0.7-r4] USE="nls pam -nousuid -skey" 1,264 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/pam-login-4.0.14 [3.17] USE="nls -livecd -skey%" 1,217 kB

Total size of downloads: 2,482 kB

!!! Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed
!!!        at the same time on the same system.

They are blocking each other?!??

I'm almost happy that the Sun Solaris 10 download from Sun is finished... When I find a DVD to burn it to, then it looks not good to gentoo on this sparc (but I haven't found one yet!).
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a semi-normal occurence when a package needs to be upgraded but provides conflicting functionaly or files to another package that is on the system.

In this case, you want to remove pam-login via the emerge -C command.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: